• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Android dac

• Thread starter Deleted member 4987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4987

First post, so first thanks for all the hard work.

It seems that as dacs are generally reaching a similar level of transparency that features are going to be the main reason for dac choice.

I'm looking for a dac for my HiFi system (I'm a big believer in hiding as many of my boxes as possible), that is discrete and controllable via an Android app. It needs to have DSP and spdif input. It doesn't need DSD or MQA.

What are my options at around 500 euros...preferably less.

Finding it difficult to find this info.

SiW

As it needs DSP that limits you greatly.

MiniDSP is the first place I would try eg 2x4HD.

If you don’t need DSP then Topping do some great units.

Where in Europe are you?

I’m in the UK, but Soundimports (Netherlands) and Audiophonics (France) are worth looking into.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
If you want something controlled by an app, a DAC is not the one you are looking for.
This is about streaming audio and most of the time this is done using DLNA.
If you are on a budget, have a look at streamers based on a Raspberry PI.

DSP- even volume control done digital is DSP but that is probably not what you have in mind.
Assuming this is about DRC (Digital room correction) or active crossover, most streamers (Aurender, Lumin and other rather expensive boxes) don’t support this.
A low power PC might do the job as well.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Volumio supports DRC via BruteFIR plugin but it doesn't work well with USB DACs on Raspberry Pi due to USB and networking sharing the USB bus.
It does work perfectly well on low cost PCs, Khadas VIM and some other platforms.

DLNA/UPnP is perfect for streaming locally stored content, much less so for Internet streaming services, although there are more an more plugins available for most popular streaming services.

For Android platform I recommend BubbleUPnP as a DLNA/UPnP control app.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
What do you mean "controllable" by an Android application ?
If you utilize Foobar2K in Windows or MPD in Linux as players, you can control them via the apps available for Android ...
At that point you can get any hardware DAC you want ...

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

I probably should mention that I also stream local files plus Spotify with my Bluesound node 2. My local files are stored on a small nas that is in my ISP's box. Next year I plan to buy a separate nas as mine is full and I already have 2x 1tb hard disks waiting.

By controllable I mean, volume and EQ adjustments. RCS would be perfect.

I have completely taken my pc out of my HiFi system, using only my phone.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I probably should mention that I also stream local files plus Spotify with my Bluesound node 2. My local files are stored on a small nas that is in my ISP's box. Next year I plan to buy a separate nas as mine is full and I already have 2x 1tb hard disks waiting.
By controllable I mean, volume and EQ adjustments. RCS would be perfect.
I have completely taken my pc out of my HiFi system, using only my phone.

Hmm ...
The Bluesound Node 2 does already integrate the DAC, and it is controllable via the BluOS Controller application, which I do not know, maybe it lacks of the EQs you are looking for ...
This Bluesound Node 2 is a nice evolution of the earlier SqueezeBoxes from Slim Devices ... I keep one of these and it covers exactly the same application of the Bluesound Node 2 but limited to a 16/44.1 CD DAC performance ...

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Pretty much it. Audiophila nervosa, just curious if I can improve on my Bluesound's dac and have more control over my EQ. My room is far from perfect. 16/44.1 is where it's at

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Pretty much it. Audiophila nervosa, just curious if I can improve on my Bluesound's dac and have more control over my EQ. My room is far from perfect. 16/44.1 is where it's at

I see ... and am sorry for you, indeed ... :rolleyes:

audiophilia-nervosa-homeless.gif

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yamaha AV-receiver with preamp outputs will fit the bill. I have one and Yamaha has a Android app to control their receivers - ggl play store - Yamaha AV Controller.
Yamaha likes to charge for preamp, though and Black Friday is past us. So u r looking at $700 or more for the privilege.
You can use headphone out as preamp (in a jiffy).
Or, In truly DIY spirit u can buy their cheaper AV receiver and get preamp outs wired to back panel :)

I'm looking for a dac for my HiFi system (I'm a big believer in hiding as many of my boxes as possible), that is discrete and controllable via an Android app. It needs to have DSP and spdif input. It doesn't need DSD or MQA.

What are my options at around 500 euros...preferably less.

gvl

Major Contributor
HQ Player Embedded from Signalyst may do the DSP you're looking for but you will need to add a mini PC, a SPDIF input device, and a DAC.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

I'm keeping a thoughtful silence on the matter. I honestly thought it'd be simpler.
I've spent ages taking my pc out of my HiFi system. I have no intention of putting another back in. Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking it through.

...one of those RME adi 2 dac shure look purdy tho.

gvl

Major Contributor
HQPE comes as a bootable customized Linux image you put on a flash drive, you don't need to mess with OS install and such.

Top Bottom