• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Android 8 USB audio

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Somewhere in 2015 I tried to play audio from my Android 6 phone to a USB DAC.
I tried because at that time Android introduced USB in host mode.
Host mode is what is needed by a USB DAC.

I bought a OTG cable because without it was not going to work.
However, no sound because my DAC (Benchmark DAC 1) expects 24 bits and Android obvious delivered 16 bits only.

Having Android 8 on my S8, I tried again.
As the port is USB-C I used a C to A adapter. Then a plain A to B cable to connect the DAC.
Started Foobar Mobile and without any further user action, the DAC started to play.
Tried the Foobar resampler, set it to 96 kHz and the music kept on playing.
It looks like Android 8 is fully UAC1 compatible.

So if you need a music server with touchscreen control, pull out you Android 8 mobile. :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Can it be done wirelessly with a wireless DAC?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Might be an interesting measurement...
I will be testing some bluetooth DACs soon. It is a lot more time consuming since my analyzer can't be in control of the signal in the phone.

dbfreak

I currently run a Samsung Note8 (USB-C) on Android 8 with custom Blue Dragon C to A cable into PS Audio NuWave DAC. Works well.

IMG_9992.jpg

tential

Good deal. Thanks for testing. I have yet to connect any DAC to my phone....
I'd be very interested in this measurement, especially after you let me know thay using a non bit perfect playback source on Android also has an effect which I didn't realize

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

motorider

I can not get my tone board to work with my pixel 2 xl. I have tried it with and without a powered usb hub. Nothing. No audio. It just continues to play on the phones speakers. If I plug in my pixel dongle, it magically works. I dont get it. If anyone out there has a pixel 2, could you give it a whirl?

Severian

Forum Donor
I can not get my tone board to work with my pixel 2 xl. I have tried it with and without a powered usb hub. Nothing. No audio. It just continues to play on the phones speakers. If I plug in my pixel dongle, it magically works. I dont get it. If anyone out there has a pixel 2, could you give it a whirl?

Are you using a USB OTG cable that allows the phone to be a host device? My Pixel 2 has worked plug and play with a FiiO E18 and Schiit Modi 3. I do find that I need to use USB Audio Player Pro though. Without it, I can't avoid the phone's volume control and the sound seems off. UAPP is a great app with extensive EQ options and Tidal integration though, so I'm happy to use it.

zhangpengsir

终于注册成功了,第一次发帖在这里,我用moto X xt1585 Verizon安卓7连接标准USB到大端口B端口USB到Topping DX3 Pro通过Micro USB OTG线,使用USB Audio Player Pro和Hiby播放器可以完全正确识别为USB DAC,流畅播放DSD源文件,音质非常好。
IMG_20190328_085620927.jpg
IMG_20190328_085620927.jpg

zhangpengsir

对,忘了提出经验,连接外部USB DAC,对otg电缆的要求非常高,UAPP的文档明确规定应该使用otg usb适配器电缆,使用DAC的原始标准USB电缆, MINI otg适配器和Micro USB / Type-c直接转换为大B端口USB电缆,也不稳定,很可能连接失败或无法正确识别USB DAC。

Top Bottom