• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones quote

OP
R

RoA

Why not ask Mr. Jones (Dr. Jones?) any of one's questions directly? He's a member here -- or at least he was, last I knew...
@AndrewJ

I am sure he is, especially as it seems he has found a pool of potential believers (customers) here. His head seems to pop up everywhere. I do sometimes wonder if he has a double to cover all the shows and how he finds time to actually design speakers.

Don't get me wrong, he knows what he is doing and the fact that he dabbles in what is budget shite speaker territory as well as more ambitious designs is lovely but the one thing I truly admire and would remember him for is his salesmanship.

Last edited:

Ericglo

No offense, but you seem to have some sort of animosity towards Andrew. I have met him. He seems pleasant and knowledgeable. Yes, he has done an admirable job of marketing his name. So what? I haven't found any of his products to be over priced rip offs.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Form follows function and beauty is as beauty does are two old sayings that come to mind when I think of speakers. My sense of visual esthetics is greatly influenced by functional performance.
I find my Linkwitz LXminis, flanking my living room fireplace, beautiful. Now, the LX521, they are relegated to the media room.

YSC

Major Contributor
A Jones' reply to measurements of the Elac Navis ARB51 by Hometheaterhifi.com

'Through experience, I have found the best compromise. I could easily, with DSP, equalize any response curve I want to look very flat. This never sounds the best solution.

I also never listen to any speaker directly on-axis. This is always the point of maximum symmetry and worst-case frequency response due to diffraction, even with regular non-concentric speakers.'

A Jones
well, if he's saying the anechoic response to be flat and use as is in a normal living room, I agree, but if he's saying having a nice, target curve complied in room response is less preferable to nothing, then.... hey, can you propose some target response in room? there should be a target even for say, +20db @100hz and down 8db at 333hz or so right?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@YSC

Let me quote Mr Jones:

"Even the dip at 2.8kHz is due to diffraction imposed on the tweeter, and not the crossover point. The 8kHz dip is due to tweeter/cone interference, and the 14kHz dip is due to the cone/baffle interface.

These are not easy to get rid of and are a consequence of the concentric process. There are some designs that have mostly eliminated some of them, but that process can introduce other problems.

As you show, the most severe dips even out off-axis. The 2.8kHz evens out in the vertical direction. As a result, I always design to balance the overall power response with the axial response rather than optimize for one parameter only.

Through experience, I have found the best compromise. I could easily, with DSP, equalize any response curve I want to look very flat. This never sounds the best solution."

He was addressing critique of 0 deg axis response because it shows some diffraction dips. Diffraction at such a high frequencies shouldn't be corrected just to make it look pretty on that one axis, especially if it autocorrects off axis. The loudspeaker is designed to have smooth power response. Now, i don't believe anyone's word and would like to see the loudspeaker on NFS, but quoting one sentence as OP did ripped it from intended context.

77SunsetStrip

The AJ quote posted by the OP was a valid summary of the previous details stated by AJ. The entire quote from AJ does not change the intent or context of his own summary.

YSC

Major Contributor
The AJ quote posted by the OP was a valid summary of the previous details stated by AJ. The entire quote from AJ does not change the intent or context of his own summary.
IC, that basically makes full sense, but the short quote is kind of misleading at first glance

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure he is, especially as it seems he has found a pool of potential believers (customers) here. His head seems to pop up everywhere. I do sometimes wonder if he has a double to cover all the shows and how he finds time to actually design speakers.

Don't get me wrong, he knows what he is doing and the fact that he dabbles in what is budget shite speaker territory as well as more ambitious designs is lovely but the one thing I truly admire and would remember him for is his salesmanship.
You know, he does have a twin...o_O

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
budget shite speaker territory

I find this comment offensive.

Lots of people cannot afford more than budget speakers. Bring them the best SQ possible is a very worthy endeavor.

Moreover, many of these people are young with low current earnings or wealth. Later, they will be able to afford non-budget and "non-shite" speakers, thus assuring the industry a growth path.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I find this comment offensive.

Not so much offensive as a complete elitist dick of a statement, I have budget speakers, KRK G4 Rokit 7’s and KRK sub and I’d bet they’d give many a more expensive speaker a run for their money. I’d rather have my £2k acoustically treated room and £600 speakers than £2600 speakers in an untreated room.

Top Bottom