• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are British companies ecstatic about having a German principal engineer?
What do you think? Or, are you the type that is "just asking the question" all the time?
Try making statements. People will think you are more confident, eh?

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
He graduated from the University of Surrey in 1977, that's 44 years ago. He must be in his mid to late 60s.
Yet nothing states, suggests, or implies that Andrew intends to retire. Actually, the contrary is stated by him.
I have a pair of his Elac DBR62's, and they are so good that I hope he continues (just not on his coaxial driver fetish).

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Abe_W

What do you think? Or, are you the type that is "just asking the question" all the time?
Try making statements. People will think you are more confident, eh?

Don't turn into a very triggered creature over a simple question (don't think i've ever asked you a question before)...But, you seem to be very confident in making a statement about all the Brits, Germans and Americans. So, i'm counting on your confidence to answer that one.

mSpot

Perhaps you can cite a reference as to that?
Here's what I find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elac
Wiki says that Elac is a "German company."
The sidebar in the Wikipedia entry says ELAC is owned by Legend Holdings, a Chinese holding company.
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 1.43.33 PM.png

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Don't turn into a very triggered creature over a simple question (don't think i've ever asked you a question before)...But, you seem to be very confident in making a statement about all the Brits, Germans and Americans. So, i'm counting on your confidence to answer that one.
Yes. I am confident. I have spent about 32 years brokering Avionics opportunities and visiting UK, German, and Italian companies while working for an American and an Italian company. Answer your own question. No one could be more qualified than you.

RobS

Forum Donor
I sort of suspect that Andrew's departure has much to do with Elac designing the newer Uni-fi Reference without his input.

Whoa wait...you don't let the guy who basically knows everything there is regarding concentric speaker designs not design them and label them a "Reference" line? WTF? What on earth were they thinking?

DTTOM37

I sort of suspect that Andrew's departure has much to do with Elac designing the newer Uni-fi Reference without his input. Then, there's also this aspect: German companies are loathe to have their brands identified with British principals.

They feel much the same toward Americans. They won't say so, but you cannot escape that undercurrent. German companies would rather re-invent the wheel than buy a wheel design from Britain or America.

I doubt that ELAC is any longer a German company, unless "the Germans" bought it back from the Taiwanese investors, who were as well involved in the Chinese-Canadian Sonavox business, which was sold to the Tawainese conglomerate Merry Electronics (along with Asian Elite and SEAS Fabrikker from Norway) in 2018.

In my view, the ELAC brand was always a vehicle to be used for the existing Asian production capacities and Canadian engineering of Sonavox (hand in hand with the attached Chinese experts), and Andrew Jones was the leading character towards the American market, running ELAC Americas.
He did excellent designs as well, nonwithstanding. Did he achieve a turnaround for the ELAC brand? We'll see that in the coming years.

RobS

Forum Donor
What's incredible to me, and speaks to Andrew Jones engineering excellence, is how little money Elac gave to him to put speakers together but was still able to manage squeeze great performance out of them. I think the real challenge is trying to build to a price point, especially as low as the Elacs were. You have to make tough decisions on where you are going to save on cost to make sure other areas are taken care of and so on. I personally was not a fan of how the Debut 2.0 or Reference Debut lines were voiced (more sterile, analytical compared to the original Debut B6), but it's not fair to criticize them considering the cost.

I wish Andrew the best of luck in his future endeavors.

DTTOM37

The sidebar in the Wikipedia entry says ELAC is owned by Legend Holdings, a Chinese holding company.
View attachment 148992
I have found an old AVS discussion about the then new ELAC ownership
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/elac-owners-thread.2170761/page-4
However, the company, that took over the majority isn't exactly the same that took over IBM/Lenovo. It is Global Legend Holdings, and based in VI.

ELAC Electroacoustic GmbH was controlled by 2/3 of Global Legend Holdings, Tortola and 1/3 of ELAC Holding GmbH, which is a 100 % subsidiary of Global Legend Holdings, Tortola, and was managed and founded by the Director of Sonavox Europe, which were an entity of Shouzou Sonavox Electronics Co.Ltd, the production arm of Sonavox. The company was a big player in Automotive audio technology, with plants and offices close to the Volkswagen production sites in Brazil, Mexico, Czechia , Munich (Audi/BMW) and Wolfsburg/Germany and a
subsidiary Detroit / GM. (Information is dated from 2019). Elac Americas was owned by ELAC Electroacoustic GmbH.

If you look more precisely at their hardware, you'll find apps from Sonavox Canada to control i.e. subwoofer. You'll find Sonavox/Indigo patented BASH amplifification in their amplified speakers and integrated devices. Sonavox has owned the renowned SEAS.no since 2014:
"2014 SEAS joins the Sonavox Group, and are able to provide sound solutions using high-end amplification and streaming technology "

The Asian Elite International were shipping for JL Audio, ELAC Americas and Polk. seee: https://matchory.com/supplier/asian-elite-international.
Sonavox, Asian Elite and SEAS were acquired by Merry Electronics/Taiwan in 2018: https://www.merry.com.tw/page/about/index.aspx?kind=126

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
how little money Elac gave to him to put speakers together but was still able to manage squeeze great performance out of them. I think the real challenge is trying to build to a price point,
I think one difference versus some places is he doubtlessly was given as much TIME as he wanted to develop stuff. And yes, low price is a big big challenge. I hope he does NOT just start making expensive stuff-the market doesn't need more of that, there's already a lot and few can afford it (example: TAD was cool but who really cares, that was miniscule). The ELAC price I think really helped push affordable good sound.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In many fields developing products that perform well far low cost is more interesting and challenging than doing money no object work.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
In many fields developing products that perform well far low cost is more interesting and challenging than doing money no object work.
Yes! ...but probably harder to make a sustained business out of that. Easier I *think* to support a small team of people by selling a few megabuck items.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard more about what Andrew Jones is doing professionally?

Descartes

Major Contributor
I had the opportunity to meet him at CEDIA a few year ago and he was a very pleasant person! Not only a very knowledgeable engineer but a great salesman as well! ;)

6sigma

Forum Donor
No details. He lives in W. Hollywood, CA. I suspect there is a non-compete that is running off. By mid-year I hope to hear not only that he has landed somewhere, but that a new speaker could be on the horizon.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Nary a word. Some early speculation, but nothing solid. Having been through this with a company, I can say that it isn't uncommon for there to be an agreement to keep confidential and not to compete for a specified period (generally in return for remuneration).

[In my case it became an extended paid vacation with travel all around North America by motorcycle. Looking back, it was probably the best and happiest period of my life -- a long sabbatical away from engineering. Having completed the agreement's term, I joined a competitor and lured away most of the profitable business of my former employer. Their lawyers rattled some swords, but there was nothing they could do. But my case fell under US laws and those of two States. I know nothing of UK, German, or Chinese law.]

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nary a word. Some early speculation, but nothing solid. Having been through this with a company, I can say that it isn't uncommon for there to be an agreement to keep confidential and not to compete for a specified period (generally in return for remuneration).

[In my case it became an extended paid vacation with travel all around North America by motorcycle. Looking back, it was probably the best and happiest period of my life -- a long sabbatical away from engineering. Having completed the agreement's term, I joined a competitor and lured away most of the profitable business of my former employer. Their lawyers rattled some swords, but there was nothing they could do. But my case fell under US laws and those of two States. I know nothing of UK, German, or Chinese law.]
Someone at Andrew Jones level of talent and with a name which has "box office" draw could easily negotiate to avoid a noncompete in his employment agreement. He's probably walking on the beach barefoot. He will pop up somewhere soon.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
He is joining AudioQuest to develop time-aligned vegan speakers using crystalloid technology. That's my prediction, you heard it here first!
(Actually I'd hope he would be working on AirPlay powered speakers, that's more the market direction these days).

Top Bottom