• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
....tattoo of the Cube speaker.

I'm honestly speechless.

67086508_10157003965420546_4177303832247664640_n.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Be interesting one way or the other as to what he announces....suppose he's got some sort of no compete clause to contend with?
I dunno -- he went from Pioneer/TAD to ELAC... and, I would opine, there were some similarities between products of those two companies correlated with his tenure at each. ;)

Don't forget also the concentric designs he made for Pioneer / TAD.
hmm... maybe he'll alight at GPA ;)
http://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/604_8H_III.pdf

1627091927980.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Don't forget also the concentric designs he made for Pioneer / TAD.

Pioneer were making concentic designs when Andrew Jones was still in primary school. Both in speakers and in kits/drivers. They had been since the early 1970s.
1627281063616.png

And Pioneer were making various concentric (small and large) designs in the 1990s, long before AJ came along (he still at KEF, then infinity).

I've got a little concentric Pioneer bookshelf design here from the late 1980s. If I can find it (I only have a single speaker), I'll take a pic. I used to use it as a test (expendable) speaker at one point.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How old is he?

I don't know. But if he started at KEF in 1983, as a young man/adult, he'd be a minimum of 55 or so. If he came to KEF with tertiary qualifications in 1983, he's likely closer to 60. So, retirement age.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pioneer were making concentic designs when Andrew Jones was still in primary school. Both in speakers and in kits/drivers. They had been since the early 1970s.
View attachment 143497

And Pioneer were making various concentric (small and large) designs in the 1990s, long before AJ came along (he still at KEF, then infinity).

I've got a little concentric Pioneer bookshelf design here from the late 1980s. If I can find it (I only have a single speaker), I'll take a pic. I used to use it as a test (expendable) speaker at one point.
Not only Pioneer had concentric drivers early but also quite few other Japanese manufacturers, mind you those early Pioneer drivers are with not really elegantly integrated tweeter and thus not comparable to the later KEF/TAD etc. designs.

Technics for example had a very modern engineering coax series in mid 80s

1627284459124.png

and some worthy successors in their recent comeback

https://www.stereophile.com/content/technics-premium-class-sb-c700-loudspeaker-measurements

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I sort of suspect that Andrew's departure has much to do with Elac designing the newer Uni-fi Reference without his input. Then, there's also this aspect: German companies are loathe to have their brands identified with British principals.

They feel much the same toward Americans. They won't say so, but you cannot escape that undercurrent. German companies would rather re-invent the wheel than buy a wheel design from Britain or America.

Joe Smith

I did finally get my Debut 2.0 6.2 speakers this past week. Very enjoyable. I'm using them in my office nearfield rig for now but plan to see how they do in a larger room eventually. It wasn't a quantum leap from my ADS 420s or PSB 30Rs (the ones I used in that rig most recently), but I think they are good for the money spent. Base is nice and controlled.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
I don't know. But if he started at KEF in 1983, as a young man/adult, he'd be a minimum of 55 or so. If he came to KEF with tertiary qualifications in 1983, he's likely closer to 60. So, retirement age.
He graduated from the University of Surrey in 1977, that's 44 years ago. He must be in his mid to late 60s.

Abe_W

I sort of suspect that Andrew's departure has much to do with Elac designing the newer Uni-fi Reference without his input. Then, there's also this aspect: German companies are loathe to have their brands identified with British principals.

They feel much the same toward Americans. They won't say so, but you cannot escape that undercurrent. German companies would rather re-invent the wheel than buy a wheel design from Britain or America.

Are British companies ecstatic about having a German principal engineer?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He probably just wants to relax and enjoy life, maybe do a bit of consulting when it takes his fancy but free of the sort of responsibility and corporate stuff that goes with being a chief engineer, VP etc.

Top Bottom