• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not a universal feeling. I may be an old fart who prefers a vintage look, but I prefer the MoFi aesthetics over the KEF Blades's.

That's exactly the market they are going for. The 'old fart' guys. The ones buying the endless re-issues of MoFi classic albums on vinyl. The ones desperately trying to recapture that time when life was simpler and the world and they were young.

They've all done it. Wharfedale, Yamaha, JBL, NAD, etc. They know the cashed-up retirees and boomers are a huge market, so they appeal to nostalgic old bastards with grown-up kids and money to finally spend on themselves again. Look at that ridiculous Fleetwood speaker. The looks of a 1940s radiogramme.

The KEF blades are seriously ugly, but there have always been plenty of ugly, expensive, so-called SOTA speakers. Most of them fall out of favour rather quickly- about as quickly as the spare parts for them. I don't need a talking point in my room for guests.

VrphKQcCrZvbrcbgFGdz6L-480-80.jpg

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not a universal feeling. I may be an old fart who prefers a vintage look, but I prefer the MoFi aesthetics over the KEF Blades's. And the walnut veneer is much nicer looking than what JBL is using these days.
I do like the retro floor stands and “in-between“ sized speakers. I suppose looks are a very subjective thing. I think it’s all the jaggy corners on the front baffles that bother me. I suppose with grilles it’s not much of an issue.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do like the retro floor stands and “in-between“ sized speakers. I suppose looks are a very subjective thing. I think it’s all the jaggy corners on the front baffles that bother me. I suppose with grilles it’s not much of an issue.
Agreed on the baffle. If I were to buy a pair, I think the grilles would remain on them if not 100% of the time, then most of the time.

Abe_W

He certainly benefits from being articulate, a good interview, and a pretty accessible guy. I appreciated his responses on this site when asked. He keeps putting out good designs. With so many snake oil salesman in this industry, it’s nice to see IMO. I have a pair of Elac Carinas. Pretty decent buy for $1k. Fortunately, there are still a lot of great innovators in audio. I’d put him on the list as one. That said, I find these MoFi speakers damn ugly. God, I’m sure they sound great but… lord.
Mofi is not ugly. It is kinda average looking.
Kef Blades are ugly as sin.
The Revel Salon Ultima used to look uglier than any sin on earth.
See?
http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quick-informations/revel-salon-ultima/

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why all this discussion of aesthetics on a science forum?

Why not? Are we all suppose to act like Spock and pretend we don’t notice or care about aesthetics? (As for science, look at almost all the comments in the forum: almost nobody here is actually doing science).

Everyone can make their own judgment on appearance.

Of course. I just did that.

Abe_W

Why not? Are we all suppose to act like Spock and pretend we don’t notice or care about aesthetics? (As for science, look at almost all the comments in the forum: almost nobody here is actually doing science).

Of course. I just did that.

Newman

Major Contributor
Why all this discussion of aesthetics on a science forum? Everyone can make their own judgment on appearance.
It's a foible of the internet, where forum posters see no need to consider, before posting, whether their every narcissistic thought would be of any interest to the readership or relevance to the topic.

It's tiring, but pointing it out is also tiring. It is what it is.

cheers

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a foible of the internet, where forum posters see no need to consider, before posting, whether their every narcissistic thought would be of any interest to the readership or relevance to the topic.

It's tiring, but pointing it out is also tiring. It is what it is.

cheers

So now even commenting on any speakers aesthetics - keeping in mind speakers are aesthetic objects as well as functional which is why they put effort in to aesthetics - is “narcissism?”

That’s quite a stretch to find a way to insult people, even for you Newman. ;-)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
So now even commenting on any speakers aesthetics - keeping in mind speakers are aesthetic objects as well as functional which is why they put effort in to aesthetics - is “narcissism?”

That’s quite a stretch to find a way to insult people, even for you Newman. ;-)

99% of negative comments on internet social media forums are projection.

*completely scientific metric ;)

DMill

Forum Donor
In my home speakers are furniture. I will take ugly and sounds good over the opposite any day. But at $4k I can have both. So i have no issue with giving or hearing subjective opinions on the aesthetics of any gear, especially speakers. I would hate to see this site post a measurement and have there be no consideration to things like aesthetics, build quality, or just coolness factor. That would be pretty boring right? I’ll add these speakers look like a decent choice if you like tube amps. But I’m not an engineer so I could be wrong about that. :)

Penelinfi

In my home speakers are furniture. I will take ugly and sounds good over the opposite any day. But at $4k I can have both. So i have no issue with giving or hearing subjective opinions on the aesthetics of any gear, especially speakers. I would hate to see this site post a measurement and have there be no consideration to things like aesthetics, build quality, or just coolness factor. That would be pretty boring right? I’ll add these speakers look like a decent choice if you like tube amps. But I’m not an engineer so I could be wrong about that. :)
Sounds conveys imaginative spaces, but so do visuals :) I'm not a sound only person

JohnnyNG

New review and lab report:

YSC

Major Contributor

looks quite ok but somehow I still prefer the KEF's look and sound overall.

cavedriver

not much of a review, barely any measurements, and very messy frequency response measurement despite smoothing from the looks of it. Still waiting for the Klippel. It might be that the bass driver is producing some distortion on cone breakup that was giving me listening fatigue.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
not much of a review, barely any measurements, and very messy frequency response measurement despite smoothing from the looks of it. Still waiting for the Klippel. It might be that the bass driver is producing some distortion on cone breakup that was giving me listening fatigue.
The Stereophile measurements set is more extended and not shabby:

Of course a full spin and some distortion and multitone measurements would be even more helpful.

DMill

Forum Donor
I do appreciate how easy this speaker looks to drive by comparison to most. Seems like another nice design by Jones to me. I see nothing in the measurements to hate on it. By the same token it doesn’t seem to me to be a game changer. Just another solid option amidst many at this price. I have no doubt many will very much enjoy it

cavedriver

The Stereophile measurements set is more extended and not shabby:

Of course a full spin and some distortion and multitone measurements would be even more helpful.
yes, I had the speaker in my house for a couple months, and read everything on it. Just couldn't get past the faint listening fatigue at higher volumes. A more thorough review would tell me if the woofer cone is reaching an audible amount of cone breakup noise and at what frequencies and levels is the speaker exhibiting distortion. Nonetheless I think it is an excellent speaker that does a significant number of things very, very well.

Top Bottom