• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Newman

Major Contributor
100 degrees

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks to me like he's doing something he's never done before...
20200921191737_2020-09-21_KEF_12thGen_Uni-Q_with_MAT_(1130x425).jpg
The "something never done before" might be the amazing number of rings on that driver. A strong candidate for the Guiness Book of Records

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "something never done before" might be the amazing number of rings on that driver. A strong candidate for the Guiness Book of Records
That's an exploded view of the KEF driver I shared to compare the AJ design to. It does have quite a few components, but I'm not sure which rings you mean?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an exploded view of the KEF driver I shared to compare the AJ design to. It does have quite a few components, but I'm not sure which rings you mean?
all of them :). I did count 20+.
I am no speaker/driver designer but that looks like rings-inflation to my eyes

fineMen

Major Contributor
my statement was in the context of curved baffles and whether they made for very wide dispersion, and the point was that despite the Genelec's curved baffle the dispersion is still reasonably moderate (around 50 degrees iirc).
I don't know what you're after, but regularly a wider dispersion asks for less sharp edges. Or the other way round, the soft edges don't make the wider dispersion, they are only needed in case of otherwise designed-in wider dispersion. Sharp edges and wide dispersion combined provoke irregular off-axis response.

behappybevegan

Youtube recommended this video by OCD HI-Fi Guy. He likes them.

Some demo's at Capital Audiofest.
Starts at 2.10

Soundwise I know it doesn't mean anything.
Just passing it along for people that are interested in these speakers.
At least it's good music.

Last edited:

cavedriver

Lets hope for it will be a non BS review like the ones for the Zu Audio drek all reviewer are tripping over.
That's John Atkinson, one of the few guys that works for magazines that was doing instrumented reviews of speakers long before Amir and the current internet crowd got on board. I think most people trust him (at least to the limits of the tools he is using).

airgas1998

Youtube recommended this video by OCD HI-Fi Guy. He likes them.

Some demo's at Capital Audiofest.
Starts at 2.10

Soundwise I know it doesn't mean anything.
Just passing it along for people that are interested in these speakers.
At least it's good music.

yeah well not so much anymore check out the later video he posted... he's not saying necessarily anything bad about the speaker per se but the source of where it's mfg'd...

cavedriver

With the clearly exceptional amount of coin being spent on marketing of these speakers we can already conclude reviews will be stellar.
I heard them at the audiofest. They sounded very good, possibly excellent, to be confirmed with extended listening once I can get an opportunity. There will surely be some puffy reviews out there, there are for just about any speaker out there, even the s***y ones, but I'm cautiously optimistic that these will be worth the 3.7k price.

cavedriver

yeah well not so much anymore check out the later video he posted... he's not saying necessarily anything bad about the speaker per se but the source of where it's mfg'd...
Certainly there are plenty of non-made-in-China speakers but at under 10k there are tons that are made in China so that's a bit of a red herring. Just a few include KEF (below Reference level), Monitor, Wharfedale, Polk, and so many more that it's kind of silly. $15k+ speakers are different- I would not accept Chinese manufacture at that point.

Top Bottom