• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

And the moral of the story is . . . .

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to tell a story, it maybe a little TLDR, but do read. Hopefully you find it funny and educational.
We recently got two puppies, Cocoa & Sama.

1670339808309.png
1670339760108.png

They are cute, and growing fast! They are also getting very playful and at the stage to practice their barking voice.
Recently, the sound from my speakers seemed to be spiced with some high midrange/low treble distortion - almost shouting at me on some violins, female vocals . . .
I couldn't trace the source.
I have two DACs, namely a Hugo2 and a DX7 pro, both had the same issue, so it wasn't the DAC.
I checked the speakers, for damage to diaphragms (perhaps the puppies did it!), Nope, they were in good nick.
So it must be the amp, but how? I thought I rip it open and look for dry capacitors here and there. That's it, that's what I'll do on my day off.
Then the other day, while Cocoa was on my lap, napping, suddenly she pricked up her nose as though she heard something! Jumped off onto the middle of the room and gave one mighty bark.
It was ear-piercing, but as the sound was fading, I heard that distortion from somewhere.
She barked a couple of times more, hey presto, I pinpointed it! The doorbell rang, so I went to the door, collected the parcel, threw it on the floor and zoomed to the corner of the room to see what it was.
Two silly crystal jars pushed against each other!
My wife must have been dusting and pushed them together - at certain frequencies, they would ring like a bell, but quickly die off because they were touching. I just separated them by 10 mm or so, and bliss, the speakers are now back to what they were.
The moral of the story is that issues with the HIFI equipment and the sound, are not always complicated.
Sometimes, it is just a silly, common-sense issue.
I will check for them first in the future, before jumping into conclusions.
Needless to say, the puppies got some extra love and treats.

Have you guys experienced something similar worth telling?
Check this out for something similar ..

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't believe you separated the Harmonic Vibration and Disbursement System (aka HaVDiS) your wife hand-built for you as a Christmas present. The commercial versions are $10k, and are on every audiophile's wish list this Holiday season. :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This never would have happened if you had the Shakti Hallograph.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Have you guys experienced something similar worth telling?
Check this out for something similar ..
Wine glasses in the kitchen would ring in response to bass from the living room. We have 3 racks with far too many wine glasses. Wood cabinets typical in most homes. I would find the offending glasses and separate them. But that just didn’t last very long and they would dance around in the cabinet until making contact again. Ultimately had to install rubberized non skid type liners in the cabinets. It still happens from time to time but not as bad as it was. Life with Subwoofers is a constant chase to discover new sources of rattling noise and silence it. :cool:

OP
Ken Tajalli

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wine glasses in the kitchen would ring in response to bass from the living room. We have 3 racks with far too many wine glasses. Wood cabinets typical in most homes. I would find the offending glasses and separate them. But that just didn’t last very long and they would dance around in the cabinet until making contact again. Ultimately had to install rubberized non skid type liners in the cabinets. It still happens from time to time but not as bad as it was. Life with Subwoofers is a constant chase to discover new sources of rattling noise and silence it. :cool:
You may have standing waves, where the glass cabinet is.
Redecoration! but try a few Rose bunches leading up to it . ;)

posvibes

Somewhere on the other side of the world a prayer cult of the celestial ringing from heaven are confused and distraught to being suddenly abandoned by their recently discovered deity while copious amounts of kool aid is being made in the share house kitchen, and so it goes....

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You may have standing waves, where the glass cabinet is.
Redecoration! but try a few Rose bunches leading up to it . ;)
Oh yes, I have serious standing waves in multiple places in the house. Amazing how far and how much bass sound waves travel. It’s something I have learned to live with and my beautiful Wife seems to blissfully ignore. Maybe it’s the Wine at work? ;)

SwampYankee

As long as you can spend a lot on that: yes.
Gah - I hate to be wrong, but apparently the correct fix is to place "electret foil" beneath the crystal jars. 3M 2552 tape from 3M Space and Aeronautical division.

The circa 1960 windows in our great room use metal spring tensioners inside thin metal tracks to hold the sash in place. Those suckers make a racket if I get a little too randy with the bass knob.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a light fixture where the bulb eventually sags enough to touch the glass cover and create a ringing noise if excited by a certain frenquency. I can't begin to tell you the hours spent crawling around the room touching and moving everything. And even once I identified -it will eventually repeat once the bracket sags enough. Grrrr... time to move.

napfkuchen

Unfortunately there is a cabinet for all of my glasses which adds some eq to the subwoofer placed right next to it. :p

Top Bottom