• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis Paralysis - Upgrade(s)

Jmm22

I’ll try to be as brief as possible.

Current headphones: Fidelio X2HR, DT770 Pro (80 ohm), Jabra 75T Active (exercise), Air Pod Pro, Massdrop NuForce IEM, few others that I forgot.

Source: iPhone 13 (primary), Galaxy Note 8. Don’t have a personal computer, just an iPad and my work laptop. Likely getting a gaming laptop once the 2022 models are out.

Genres: Hiphop, EDM, classical, movie scores, orchestral.

Looking for:

-Bass/sub-bass (tactile), but not necessarily at the cost of sound quality. I don’t need reference quality mids and treble, but I also don’t want pure mud bass.
- I don’t have any particular dislikes.
- I do like soundstage/immersion.
- work from home and will permanently at least be hybrid, so I don’t necessarily need noise isolation
-Prefer portability or ability to move around with headphones in to some degree. Not a deal breaker at all.

Budget: $1,000ish (if I don’t put a budget on it the it’ll end up like my home theater)

Current Considerations

Headphones: Two options

(1) over ear (HE-560 forn$230 on sale) and cheap IEM bass cannons like Campfire Honeydew. I realize Honeydew are muddy bass, but I can get them for $100. It’s kind of a throw away

(2) $400-600 open ear (no ideas) or IEM (Moondrop Dusk?) Closed ear get too hot. IEMs open up the ability to use wired or with Bluetooth ear hooks from Shure or FiiO.

Amps:

(1) SMSL-SP200 - on sale for $140, however can’t be used with IEMs from what I read due to too much power.

(2) Mangius - not sure if powerful enough for HE-560 (assuming i get that or another planar).

(3) Topping A30 Pro - seems powerful enough?

Open to other suggestions.

Dac: Is this necessary if I’m using a phone as the source? Do I need to bypass the phone DAC to use an external one?

(1) Topping under $250

(2) Modius

(3) SMSL M200

Potentially a Bluetooth DAC?

Also would be interested in a portable DAC & AMP up to $500 if it provides sufficient power.

ADU

Major Contributor
It's been about a month since you posted this Jmm22. Have you gotten any closer to deciding on any of the above yet?

And what about some EQ? I don't see any mention of that above.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the HE-560 My second most listened headphone (HE6) is first,

At $230 it is a steal. It doesn't need that much juice but to be on the safe side for IEM and any headphones this side of the RAAL, you could get the JDS Labs Atom amp and be done or a combo of JDS Labs ATOM and EL DAC and be reaalllllly done.

Peace.

OP
J

Jmm22

It's been about a month since you posted this Jmm22. Have you gotten any closer to deciding on any of the above yet?

And what about some EQ? I don't see any mention of that above.
I went deeper down the rabbit hole, but haven’t made a decision. I’m currently thinking of getting the iDSD Signature and using a Topping BC3 Bluetooth transmitter. I can use the iDSD as a portable or as a desktop. If portable then I’ll use the Bluetooth dongle to move around my apartment and office. It saves me from buying a portable setup and desktop set and gives me plenty of power.

For headphones, I’m thinking Emu Teaks for closed and a planar for open (LCD X, LCD 2 Classic, Edition XS, etc.)

EQ I’ll probably use my PC through one of the EQ software options.

For my less demanding headphones I’m using a Qudelix 5K, which is pretty good or EQ and power output, particularly for $115.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
Interesting. Thanks for the update, jmm22.

Wish I had more experience with some of the products you're considering, and could offer some suggestions. My only thought was that a planar might be an interesting change of pace, since most of your other HPs (X2HR, DT770) have been dynamic drivers.

I haven't used any planars yet. But I'm interested in giving one a try. I get the feeling that people like them more for things like jazz and classical music, and maybe also prog-rock. I do listen to a bit of that as well. Though I mostly tend to listen to more R&B and pop-oriented stuff, and also some classic, glam, and alt-rock.

A planar and a new dynamic headphone might not be a bad way to go though, given some of your different musical tastes.

Top Bottom