• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis Paralysis (Best Bang for the Buck System for $600) Please help.

Lurrus

Hello everyone. I am a beginner with this audio stuff and need some sound advice. Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to audio equipment because I am a bit confused of which components will work well together to power up the Jamo C 91 II speakers cleanly, loudly, and reliably for a desktop setup.

In short, I've spent hours of research on finding the best bang for the buck audio system for $600 or less. I do plan on adding a subwoofer in the future.

This is what I have so far:

1) LOXJIE A30 Desktop Stereo HiFi Audio Power Amplifier - (Currently $185 on Amazon)
2) Jamo Concert 9 Series C 91 II - (Currently $199 on Crutchfield & Amazon)

Both products received high praises by Z Reviews and Cheap Audio Man on YouTube. For now, I am pretty set on the speakers for my computer desktop due to the discounted price.

The dilemma that I am running into is this: Is the LOXJIE A30 amplifier adequate enough to reliably drive the speakers for clean and loud audio?

The Jamo C 91 II speakers are rated at 100 watts at 6 ohms with 86 db sensitivity.

Should I reconsider and purchase separate units like the DAC, headphone amp, and speaker amp?

I've read some reviews that the LOXJIE company doesn't seem to have great after-sales customer support. Also, I am quite unsure about the long term reliability of the LOXJIE products. However, based on many reviews, the JDS Labs company seems to offer great customer support for their products.

Would the following individual equipment work well together to maximize the Jamo C 91 II's potential?

JDS Atom DAC+ [connected via RCA to] JDS Atom Amp+ [connected via RCA to] a quality 100 watt per channel speaker amplifier.

Here are some budget speaker amps where I've seen positive reviews from the general consumers and Audio YouTubers;

1) Fosi Audio BT20A-S
2) Fosi Audio BT30D
3) AIYIMA A07

Since the Jamo C 91 II speakers are priced at $200, I am willing to spend more money on a separate DAC, headphone, and speaker amp units as long as they work well together to reliably maximize the performance of the Jamo C 91 II speakers.

I feel like I am going crazy spending so much time trying to find the absolute best bang for the buck audio system for $600 or less for my computer desktop.

What should be the next steps or components to achieve this goal? Any helpful advice and/or audio product recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for reading my long-winded, first audio post.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I would suggest the following:
JDS Atom DAC+ [connected via RCA to] JDS Atom Amp + JBL LSR 305...
You're covered. I suppose your PC is your source .. So from there you can EQ, later add headphones. really any headphones, since the Atom amp can drive cleanly, almost any headphones. The JBL LSR 305 are as good as it gets. They do hiss when idle though. Or you should look into Kali speakers, I don't know much about them but they have been favorably reviewed here ...

Peace

Last edited:

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe get an inexpensive powered monitor like the Adam T5V (T8V for a bit more$) and a Topping E30 DAC. Should be pretty darn good for a desktop and well within your budget. EDIT: A Kali LP-6 is even cheaper or JBL 306P

OP
L

Lurrus

Topping d10, aiyiama d07, wharfedale diamond 220.
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but can I plug the Aiyima D07 into the JDS Atom Stack?

Does the Aiyima D07 provide clean power, as in low noise levels?

OP
L

Lurrus

I noticed that the Aiyima D07 is rated at 185 watts at 8 ohms. Will that blow up the Jamo C 91 II speakers that's rated at 100 watts 6 ohms?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
The JDS Atom headphone amp has pre amp capabilities. Plug the Atom headphone amp into the Aiyima power amp and when you remove your headphones from the Atom amp it will function as a pre amp.

Get the idea of Jamo C91 11 speakers out of your head. The Warfedale and Emotiva Airmotiv offerings in the $200 class are most likely much better.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When first starting out, i like to have as much versatility as possible with most of my components. on that budget I'd be looking at a Qudelix as USB DAC which can then be used for IEMs and many headphones. Speakers would be Kali LP6v2 if you favor controlled directivity, LSR 306 if you prefer wider directivity. if it's truly a desktop system, listening within 1m, I'd lean toward Kali. No amp needed and lots of hardware EQ at your disposal so you don't have to mess much with software if you don't want to.

that would leave you enough left over to buy a UMIK for REW, especially if you buy used/b-stock

OP
L

Lurrus

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I'm even more confused when it comes to which speaker will sound good. lol

I did see a number of Audio YouTubers praising the Jamo C91 II speakers. Are Jamo C 91 II speakers crap?

Also, what about the Micca RB42 speakers? Would that be a better alternative?

eddantes

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I'm even more confused when it comes to which speaker will sound good. lol

I did see a number of Audio YouTubers praising the Jamo C91 II speakers. Are Jamo C 91 II speakers crap?

Our new friend... Here on this forum... Value judgements are based on measurements. Please peruse speaker ratings, and read some of the threads. Reviewers, YouTube or otherwise tend to have little sway here. Look at speakers in your price range, observe their measurements, and then make a call. Some good advice given here. Take it.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
I did see a number of Audio YouTubers praising the Jamo C91 II speakers.
Welcome to ASR!

Reading your words above, perhaps I was mistaken when I assumed you came here with your question because ASR is the place where speaker reviews revolve around top-notch measurements that give you a very good idea whether speakers will sound good, and release you from the tender mercies of "Audio YouTubers" who, as a broad generality, have subjective opinions on sound quality that can't be trusted.

Take a look at the speaker reviews on this site and the speaker ratings, in your price range.

cheers

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Almost all audio youtubers praise anything they review because they generate their income from this. Erin's audio corner and @amirm's youtube channel are notable exceptions.
If you find a measurement which includes a spinorama we can have a look. Otherwise look at the speaker reviews here at ASR.

If you have not yet bought anything I go with other suggestions here to get active speakers and a DAC with preamp features to complete the system.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lurrus

Thank you guys again for the helpful advice. I went through the Speaker Review and Measurement Index list per @eddantes advice and came across the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitor speakers.

I did some more research and Philharmonic now offers a New Affordable Accuracy Quick Kit for about $350/pair including shipping. The original Philharmonic kit has been favorably reviewed by @amirm.

JDS Labs Atom Stack + Aiyima A07 Speaker Amp + Philharmonic New Affordable Accuracy Quick Kit = Best Bang for the Buck for $700?

I am willing to pay a bit more if this is a great audio setup.

How do you guys feel about this new list of components?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you guys again for the helpful advice. I went through the Speaker Review and Measurement Index list per @eddantes advice and came across the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitor speakers.

I did some more research and Philharmonic now offers a New Affordable Accuracy Quick Kit for about $350/pair including shipping. The original Philharmonic kit has been favorably reviewed by @amirm.

JDS Labs Atom Stack + Aiyima A07 Speaker Amp + Philharmonic New Affordable Accuracy Quick Kit = Best Bang for the Buck for $700?

How do you guys feel about this new list of components?

If you're ok with assembling yourself, I'm sure it will sound pretty good. The A07 was eventually found to have minor load-dependent frequency response changes, plus to maximize it's performance you need a different PSU than what Aiyama supplies. That doesn't automatically make it a bad choice; you could review the findings in that thread and compare to the AA's impedance plot for a reasonable guesstimate.

getting a system to sound great is hard enough as-is once you set it in your room on your desk so, personally, I avoid unpredictability. The big benefit with active monitors is someone more qualified than you or I already made all those decisions, and then some. I also don't really see the value of the Atom compared to a mobile solution, or even an all-in-one like Loxie A30.

eddantes

How do you guys feel about this new list of component

Do yourself a favour... get an active monitor... The aforementioned Kali or JBL will set you back ~$400 a pair. That leaves you $200 for a Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC - which has a nice volume knob and a headphone amp. This would be exactly what you asked for.

Xombul

Forum Donor
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but can I plug the Aiyima D07 into the JDS Atom Stack?

Does the Aiyima D07 provide clean power, as in low noise levels?
Yes you can plug it using the JDS Atom stack RCA out. Btw there is no need to spend big money in the cable. Yes, the Aiyima is favourably rated by Amir and, as it is powerful enough for bookshelf loudspeakers, you can keep it in its comfort zone to limit the noise and the distortion.

mightycicadalord

If you're ok with assembling yourself, I'm sure it will sound pretty good. The A07 was eventually found to have minor load-dependent frequency response changes, plus to maximize it's performance you need a different PSU than what Aiyama supplies.

I'm interested in some info on that load dependent response. Not that I have any problems with mine even on low sens speakers that play down 34hz, but just curious.

sojun80

Hi...first post!

So I have been toying around with my desktop setup after I decided I hated my old setup...

I've got an Aiyima D03 with a 36v power supply and a pair of Moukey 20-3 speakers and a well, a massive overkill subwoofer that is actually a car setup. It's turned way down, but it does things around 25hz, while the Edifier S350DB sub did things around 38hz. I think the moukey's sound a lot better than I expected. I am very tempted to AB vs the Affordable Accuracy Quick Kit.

I have no science for you here, sadly. However the Aiyima D03 powers the speakers great and they sound way more detailed than my previous speakers (Edifier S350DB desktop setup). I was able to have them both plugged in and was able to switch sources on my pc instantly. In the mid-range and treble I could actually hear more detail. Some may not like that. I suspect the Aiyima just makes things sound really good...

I personally would not be happy without a subwoofer. I'm a bass head and like it that way.

Top Bottom