• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog Conversions

muzzammil236

Hi,

I am new in this field. I have a question. Can we really recover an analog signal (like recording my voice in an analog media best available to date) in its true essence after been converted to digital signal? I mean digital would be a discrete sampling of that continuous analog signal (of almost infinite resolution). How that digital signal can be recovered back to a true original analog signal that was recorded in first place??

Regards,

Muzzammil.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi,

I am new in this field. I have a question. Can we really recover an analog signal (like recording my voice in an analog media best available to date) in its true essence after been converted to digital signal?

Yes. It's not intuitive, and involves more math than most will have had, but if there is magic in Hi-Fi, it is in Sampling Theory.

Monty does a very good job describing it, but look into Nyquist Shannon if you want more.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I mean digital would be a discrete sampling of that continuous analog signal (of almost infinite resolution).
Analog doesn't have infinite resolution... The usable resolution is limited by noise. I don't know of any analog format that can match the resolution of a CD. Analog also has frequency response variations and distortion that doesn't exist in the digital domain.

The weak link in (modern digital) recording is the "analog side"... Room acoustics and room noise, microphone non-linearities, and preamplifier noise. The weak links in playback are also the analog speakers and room acoustics, and maybe the amplifier.

DVDs & Blu-Ray's are better than analog VHS and my digital caliper has a lot better resolution & accuracy than my analog tape measure...

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if you find yourself getting impatient and saying "But he's only showing sine waves! What about more complex waveforms?", fear not: That starts at 17:20.

By the way, the nature of how non-sinusoidal waveforms are actually composites of a number of pure sinusoidal tones has implications in the analog world too! For instance, when you see square wave output of a power amplifier, and it looks a lot more rounded-off than the original signal, that doesn't mean that the amp is "slow", it means that it's bandwidth-limited.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can listen to an 8th generation DAC to ADC copy in either of these two threads. They aren't perfect, but are much better than the 8th generation of any other medium I am aware of.

Top Bottom