• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog Signal Processor vs. Oscilloscope

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I'm in the process of building some Linkwitz LX521 speakers, which require a signal processor for cross over purposes. I decided to go with an Analog version for now.

As a final sanity check I thought I would look at the signals with a 2 channel oscilloscope, and wanted to share as I thought it was interesting.

I have one channel hooked up to the output of a Topping E30, and the other to the output of the ASP and am playing random music via Roon.

Woofer

woof.png

Lower Mid-range

lm2.png

Upper Mid-range

um.png

Tweeter

t1.png

I also set the sampling rate to be faster, as the tweeter doesn't show much

Woofer - Fast

wf.png

Lower Mid - Fast

lmf.png

Upper Mid - Fast

umf.png

Tweeter - Fast

tf.png

Attachments

• 1636749712022.png
    1636749712022.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Repeated with pink noise

pink noise - woofer

pn_w.png

pink noise - lower mid

pn_lm.png

pink noise - upper mid

pn_um.png

pink noise - tweeter

pn_t.png

mansr

Major Contributor
Will see if I can find a signal generator - it's not likely to damage anything is it?
Use a DAC. Whatever you used to create the pink noise can probably do a square wave too. No, it won't break anything.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will see if I can find a signal generator - it's not likely to damage anything is it?
The signal generator will likely not be able to drive a speaker by itself. You need to feed it to an amplifier. And yes, be careful with square wave, white noise, etc. as they can damage your speaker and/or your ears at high levels.

mansr

Major Contributor
The signal generator will likely not be able to drive a speaker by itself. You need to feed it to an amplifier. And yes, be careful with square wave, white noise, etc. as they can damage your speaker and/or your ears at high levels.
I had the impression the OP was measuring a crossover filter without speakers connected. If speakers are connected, too much HF energy can of course do damage.

Last edited:
OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
You need to feed it to an amplifier. And yes, be careful with square wave, white noise, etc. as they can damage your speaker and/or your ears at high levels.
It's not going anywhere near my amps or speakers. This is purely a bench top exercise. Thought it was interesting to see how a cross-over/ASP works.

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Playing via Audacity this time for slightly better control.

Square wave at 440Hz. Yellow is output from Topping E30, Purple is output from ASP.

Woofer

sq_lm.png

Lower Mid

sq_um.png

Upper Mid

sq_t.png

Tweeter

sq_t.png

Attachments

• sq_w.png
    sq_w.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 61