• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog mixer (Mackie 802VLZ4) as preamplifier?

Kit Carson

Dear all,
first of all I would like to thank you for this forum!
I'm going to 'build' my hi-fi system and I'm collecting a lot of important information reading your reviews and followiong some threads.

I'm going to setup my system buying some long lasting brick (DAC) and using some stuff I already own (once upon a time I used to play some instruments) --- then I'll replace later.

In details this is my idea:
  • DAC: Topping D90
  • Volume control/switch/preamp/headphone pream: ??? Help needed
  • Amplifier + speakers (active speakers): Focal Alpha 65 (already own)

I would like to have all REAL and EFFECTIVE balanced connections between the various stuff.

In the future, I would like to replace the Focal Alpha with a 'good' amplifier and a couple of passive speakers.

And here arise my question: can I use an analog mixer as preamplifier?
For example the Mackie 802VLZ4?
Will it introduce to much noise in the system? Please consider also that in the future I will implement my system with amplifier and passive speakers, and I would like to buy a long lasting object --- at least for my set-up.

Alternative to use the analog mixer could be:
  • Shiit Jotunheim, but it has no source switch.
  • Khozmo Passive preamplifier - Balanced with input selector, but it is very expensive and then I'll need an headphone amplifier.
  • Nobsound balanced switch + Nobsound balanced volume control. affordable, but what about the noise the put in the whole system? Moreover, also in this case I will have to buy an headphone amplifier.

Thanks for any suggestion, consideration, alternative idea!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What inputs/sources do you need? USB, optical or and analog?

As I use my system to listen to and trying to make music, I would suggest this:

Motu M2, Motu M4 or SMSL m500v2
That's it.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Will last you a long time and you can save up for better active speakers like a pair of good Genelecs.

Will check all your boxes:
  • DAC
  • Volume control
  • Switch?
  • Preamp
  • Headphone amp (not needed unless you going to use hard to drive headphones.)
  • Balanced connections.

And here arise my question: can I use an analog mixer as preamplifier?
Yes, you can, but unless you need the mixer for recording purposes there is no reason get one.
I haven't upgraded my system, yet. On my horizon there is a Motu M4 or perhaps a SMSL m500v2

Check out my setup (The short version is in my signature): My setup
For "making" music:
Windows PC (DAW) USB -> Yamaha MODX6 -> 1/4" jack -> Behringer HD400 -> balanced 1/4" jack -> Behringer Xenix QX1202USB Mixer -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub (RCA)

OP
K

Kit Carson

Dear M00ndancer,
thanks for your suggestion and idea!

I also had evaluated the set-up with the Motu M4, but someone in some other forum discouraged me from this solution.
However, I like it and I think it can work for me (looking also at M4 SINAD performance reported in the ranking).

Which Genelecs speakers do you suggest to me?

Otherwise, what do you think about the following alternative solution?
Motu M4 > Amplifier (for example Rotel 1552 MKII or similar) > Passive speakers (for example B&W 606).

About inputs, at the moment I'm going to use only the USB, maybe in the future I would like to use the system also for the TV: how can I do?
Will I be able to use the Motu DAC (via optical or coaxial connection) or should I buy a switch to go from the TV to the speakers via RCA?

Thanks!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
About inputs, at the moment I'm going to use only the USB, maybe in the future I would like to use the system also for the TV: how can I do?
Will I be able to use the Motu DAC (via optical or coaxial connection) or should I buy a switch to go from the TV to the speakers via RCA?

That's why I'm still can't make up my mind. Now I use a ChromeCast Audio, connected via optical to the HAD-1.
I have two options. Get the Motu M4 and use one of the analog inputs to connect the CCA, or get the more expensive SMSL M500 and still use the optical output. In your case it's similar, use a analog output from the TV or a digital one. Worst case upgrade from the Motu M4 to a M500 down the road.

Which Genelecs speakers do you suggest to me?
I'm not an expert on active or passive solutions. But I really, really would like to have good pair of Genelecs. Problem is that they are expensive and way out of my budget. Ask around here and you will get plenty of advice. But I would suggest that you wait until you have "solved" your current situation. No use lusting for things that you "might" get in the future.

Finally, don't take my opinions and advice as gospel. Get other opinions from other ASR members as well. I'm all about best bang for the buck, and have a limited budget to get what I want. Don't really need a Motu M4, but it would be nice to have. The gear I have works, but the are lots of things I could do to improve everything.

OP
K

Kit Carson

Dear all,
coming back to my original question, if I use an analog mixer (for example the Mackie 802VLZ4) between DAC and active speaker (ora amp + passive speaker) how much noise and distortion will I add to system? Comparing this solution with an 'usual' preamplifier noise and distorsion.

Thanks!

Have a nice day!

mixsit

Forum Donor
Dear all,
coming back to my original question, if I use an analog mixer (for example the Mackie 802VLZ4) between DAC and active speaker (ora amp + passive speaker) how much noise and distortion will I add to system? Comparing this solution with an 'usual' preamplifier noise and distortion.
Not sure what a 'usual' preamplifier would be?
They're fairly clean, clean enough often finding use in home and small studio playback in place of dedicated monitor controllers for example. Less so now as the AD/DA recording rigs include more functions.
For my perspective several years ago, a decent not high end passive controller in place of a Mackie mixer in the path was an audible improvement. (Presonus Central Station in this case)
Unless for a mixer's utility/feature sets there's likely better options.

OP
K

Kit Carson

For my perspective several years ago, a decent not high end passive controller in place of a Mackie mixer in the path was an audible improvement. (Presonus Central Station in this case)
Thanks!
I was looking at this controller: Palmer Monicon L.
Can it be a good choice?

Unless for a mixer's utility/feature sets there's likely better options.
Which component do you suggest?

Top Bottom