• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog Line out from iPad with Lightning

amicusterrae

Hello,

Is it possible to get analog line out from an iPad through a lightning dock? I have been doing this for years with an older iPad that has the 16 pin dock, using a SendStation adapter, to feed a desktop headphone amp. But the iPad is failing, and I have a newer iPad mini with a lightning dock that still works well.

Alternatively, it seems possible to get a digital signal out with an adapter like the Apple camera kit, but I would need to buy a DAC. I also tried that a few years ago and couldn't get it to work. I don't recall what adapter I used, but it was Apple; the DAC was a cheap Grace Design that was advertised to work with iOS. My iPad mini is way past firmware updates, so maybe that was the issue.

My music library is in iTunes, so I am wedded to Apple Music. I understand I probably could run iTunes from my PC, but I am trying to avoid that.
I understand I also could get an Airplay receiver and stream from my iPhone 7, but I'd really prefer not to do that either, as I hate controlling the volume on the phone and greatly prefer my amp's volume knob.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are some options:

All of them you can use as Line out into an external headphone amp.

OP
A

amicusterrae

Hey, thanks! These seem to be marketed for headphones, in part, which had confused me. Do you know if these are outputting a line level signal independent of the iOS device volume control?

staticV3

Master Contributor
These seem to be marketed for headphones, in part, which had confused me.
Every headphone out port can be used as Line out.

Do you know if these are outputting a line level signal
The A1749 can put out a 1.0Vrms signal when bought in the US or Canada, and a 0.5Vrms signal when bought in the EU or UK. As for the others, I don't know what signal amplitude they put out.

independent of the iOS device volume control?
The stuff on Apple's website definitely has UAC2 hardware volume, so the volume rocker of your iPad will continue working.

If there's such an adapter without UAC2 hardware volume, so that volume is locked at 100%, I don't know.
I doubt it though. People would usually call such a product faulty or defective.

Top Bottom