• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An Investigation into Stereo microphone techniques

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.academia.edu/693259/An_..._Microphone_Techniques_and_their_Applications

This from 2011 by Thomas Rawlinson.

In this investigation Blumlein pairs, ORTF and space omnis rank highly depending upon the purposes and types of music. This is a bit more rigorous treatment of how each technique works.

If I can find it, there was also blind listening tests at European university a few years back which largely corroborates which techniques are most accurate and pleasing. I will include the link if I can dig it up again.

The pity is the terribly small percentage of recordings done only with a stereo pair. Even most so called minimalist recordings are done with an extra pair or few pairs to add more hall sound and spaciousness to the recording.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I can find the other test I mentioned it has those kind of recordings. I know this not short, but thought the extra depth might be cited in other discussions that occur here. If you think this not very useful in this context feel free to delete it. I can look for something more concise later.

Top Bottom