• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An impeccable source of loudspeaker measurements for dirt cheap

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps channelling German stereotypes, German pro audio magazine Sound and Recording has the best loudspeaker measurement regime I have ever seen. Audio engineer Prof. Dr.-Ing. Anselm Goertz takes demanding anechoic measurements from 4m at an acoustics lab. Their measurements include: unsmoothed on-axis response, horizontal AND vertical polar maps (a.k.a directivity sonograms), max SPL at 3% and 10% distortion, phase response, group delay, in-room response (presumably at the magazine's offices), waterfall graphs (a.k.a cumulative spectral decay), multitone distortion and sometimes even more. They have compiled their measurements for over 80 loudspeakers - primarily active monitors - into a downloadable pdf sold for 6.90 euros. It is an impeccable resource that reflects the ASR ethos. They deserve all the support they can get, especially since they have provided several sets of measurements for free online (a great gesture imo given the amount of work they've to do). The price is fair. We are talking pennies per speaker for world-class measurements. Highly recommended. Here's an example (scroll down and use Google Translate).

Last edited:

Habu

Hi,
It looks like the downloadable pdf is only in german!

Sincerely yours

Habu

Erik

For some reason they removed the table of contents from the store page so here it is.

EDnVfw6[1].png

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For some reason they removed the table of contents from the store page so here it is.

They could be updating the document with their latest measurements. They recently tested the 8331, JBL 705P, ADAM T5V and T7V, all of which are not in it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Measurements are one thing, understanding what they mean is something else.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements are one thing, understanding what they mean is something else.

And are we to suppose your way of "understanding" is to dismiss data of flawed engineering where your anecdotal experience contradicts? I have not engaged you further on your vociferous, fallacious (as someone else pointed out to you) defence of the LS50, yet you insist on obsessively following my posts and replying almost every single one without any data to support your claims.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
And are we to suppose your way of "understanding" is to dismiss data of flawed engineering where your anecdotal experience contradicts? I have not engaged you further on your vociferous, fallacious (as someone else pointed out to you) defence of the LS50, yet you insist on obsessively following my posts and replying almost every single one without any data to support your claims.

You leap to conclusions from a minor deviation in one kind of test. There are many parameters to consider, but you look only at one. JA at Stereophile did a 3D off axis plot of the LS50 and said it was just fine. Should I believe you instead.

Some people find the LS50 to be bright. That might be what you heard, thought you heard, or never heard. A polite normal person would say, "I don't like it because it is too bright" and move on. You went searching for some kind of explanation in the data after the fact to quell your cognitive dissonance over not liking a loudspeaker that so many professional reviewers love. You don't understand there are many steps to connect some possibly (or never) heard artifact with it's cause.

What exactly are your qualifications to make these claims? My opinion is you did just enough reading to learn the lingo and decided to stake out a controversial position. I feel you are spreading misinformation by focusing on a single measurement when there are many. I have seen this behavior on the internet enough times to know it.

Toole's research is great, but you don't understand that it is not a law of physics or chemistry. One may only find a statistically significant preference. Not everyone will hear it that way and one factor does not control everything. However, you think those Princeton plots are the alpha and omega of audio.

Actually, the data supports my claims which are not fallacious or vociferous. Your BS does not support that KEF has flawed engineering. I bet you couldn't get a job there or at any other speaker company doing anything more important than cleaning up.

The folks in that Reddit thread saw right through you. You are the obsessive one. My objective is to protect others from you.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't download them yet because of server maintaince. Waiting for them patiently :)

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't download them yet because of server maintaince. Waiting for them patiently :)

Same here. I got billed the price of the pdf but can't seem to find a way to pay it even though I've registered my credit card with them.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I only just got my bill and logged in to find I could download the file (finally!). Turns out I'd registered and placed my order during server maintenance so it wasn't fulfilled immediately. And yes, I got billed 8.90 euros instead of 6.90. Still cheaper than an issue of Stereophile at the local bookstore and much more useful.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Need some advice from other ASR members who've downloaded the pdf (especially from outside Europe). How did you pay? I linked my credit card to my account there on their website, but no deduction from my card was made. I just got a bill with late charges/a reminder fee of 20 euros (ouch). Why wasn't the deduction made from my card at the point of download? This runs counter to all other websites I've made purchases from. And how do I make my payment?

Thanks.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Hi,

Need some advice from other ASR members who've downloaded the pdf (especially from outside Europe). How did you pay? I linked my credit card to my account there on their website, but no deduction from my card was made. I just got a bill with late charges/a reminder fee of 20 euros (ouch). Why wasn't the deduction made from my card at the point of download? This runs counter to all other websites I've made purchases from. And how do I make my payment?

Thanks.

Paypal here from Europe - everything went normal.
Have you tried emailing them to see if anything can be done? I don't see how you can get overdue charges in this manner - either you pay and you get the download or you don't? There is no afterpay option as far as I can see?

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paypal here from Europe - everything went normal.
Have you tried emailing them to see if anything can be done? I don't see how you can get overdue charges in this manner - either you pay and you get the download or you don't? There is no afterpay option as far as I can see?

Exactly. I downloaded it, but no deduction was made to my credit card, which was linked to my account in the S&R website. Didn't set up Paypal for the S&R website because I thought they could charge straight to my card. Very very bizarre. I had physical invoices mailed to my address (I'm in Asia) instead, but I don't think afterpay was even a thing. And what was the point of having an option to input card details if it weren't charged to it?!

Have sent an e-mail to them already. Thanks for the confirmation that something seems wrong with my transaction though.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Exactly. I downloaded it, but no deduction was made to my credit card, which was linked to my account in the S&R website. Didn't set up Paypal for the S&R website because I thought they could charge straight to my card. Very very bizarre. I had physical invoices mailed to my address (I'm in Asia) instead, but I don't think afterpay was even a thing. And what was the point of having an option to input card details if it weren't charged to it?!

Have sent an e-mail to them already. Thanks for the confirmation that something seems wrong with my transaction though.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks for the suggestion btw, I purchased it as soon as I saw this topic. Too bad they don't publish the data in spinorama form yet though, obiously they have the required measurements already :)

Top Bottom