• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An experiment in cognitive dissonance.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Thanks, I appreciate that. Although the switch idea is really cool. Like a failsafe.
No, if the box had adequate ventilation AND cable grips or a mains input socket as described, then I would have no further objections.

S

mugbot

Forum Donor
Challenger here, thanks for posting.
I work in an electrical safety regulator, and you'd be surprised how often we hear stories about how a device was considered safe due to its location/usage, often after a shock has been received. Generally the advice is if you can make it safe anyway, just do it!

The reddit thread did get a little heated, so sorry for my contribution to that and props again for posting here where I think you'll get more experienced feedback than reddit.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

I do appreciate all the insight and advice, regardless of how my responses appear.

Thanks to those who participated.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I address all possible concerns within the text of my post and people do not read that text and then offer advice on something the text addresses and informs on. This informs me more about you, than it informs you about me.

This sounds rather conceited, how do you know you've addressed "all possible concerns" and if your so certain that you have, what is the purpose of your question?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Please remember, this post is about cognitive dissonance
Is it though? Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that you’re trying to understand human response. I just don’t think in this case the phenomenon you’re tracking against is cognitive dissonance.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.reddit.com/r/diyaudio/comments/s7xm8b
You basically had a meltdown over a grand total of 2 people questioning your electrical safety. Don't post stuff on the internet if you can't take the heat. All they are saying is that you should add strain relief where the wires enter your wooden enclosure.

Their alarm comes from the fact that many people underestimate the danger of fiddling with 120VAC and end up catching something on fire or having a brown pants moment. Ignore them if you really are that confident.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So again friends... This post was an experiment. I am not asking for any advice on how to use the items on display.

So, you were being disingenuous from the beginning, and were wasting the time of the members for a personal social experiment, that we get a lecture about after your true agenda is revealed?

Not sure if that's very cool...

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Late but, People here freaking about the box being closed and overheating, then suggesting to add a switch to shut if OFF if the lid is closed. Hell no.

MF please, all these power supplies have built in over temp cutoffs. Put a grill in the top of the box for air flow, and Close the damn box solid. I guarantee you a crawling child would love to open that box up and touch live terminals. Even if you have a plastic cover over the terminals, if that plastic cover can be removed without tools, that kids gonna touch live shit.

Cognitive Dissonance be damned, you cant have live parts accessible without tools and you cant have flex appliance mains cables just "bolted" to the frame - (that's just the same thing as lugged off, ie connecting the cores of the flex to the appliance terminals). You must have an auxillary cord clamp in the external enclosure clamped over the secondary/outer cable sheathing to stop the cord from being ripped out of (potentially poorly) terminated cable lugs. Heat shrink does not count for shit.

The AC cable is mounted/attached to the structure the enclosure is in. There are 3 mounts bolted directly to the steel frame. This C table is also against a wall with other furniture in front. There is absolutely no access to the cabling unless the furniture is moved. All the cabling is securely mounted.

This is not enough. As I said above, a clamp over the mains lead outer sheathing, in the external most enclosure.s frame. Look at the cord clamp on any electrical appliance.

And no-one cares where you put the thing or how you use it, especially murphy's law. Follow electrical safety guidelines.

Sincerely
An Electrical Inspector.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Late but, People here freaking about the box being closed and overheating, then suggesting to add a switch to shut if OFF if the lid is closed. Hell no.

MF please, all these power supplies have built in over temp cutoffs. Put a grill in the top of the box for air flow, and Close the damn box solid. I guarantee you a crawling child would love to open that box up and touch live terminals. Even if you have a plastic cover over the terminals, if that plastic cover can be removed without tools, that kids gonna touch live shit.

Cognitive Dissonance be damned, you cant have live parts accessible without tools and you cant have flex appliance mains cables just "bolted" to the frame - (that's just the same thing as lugged off, ie connecting the cores of the flex to the appliance terminals). You must have an auxillary cord clamp in the external enclosure clamped over the secondary/outer cable sheathing to stop the cord from being ripped out of (potentially poorly) terminated cable lugs. Heat shrink does not count for shit.

This is not enough. As I said above, a clamp over the mains lead outer sheathing, in the external most enclosure.s frame. Look at the cord clamp on any electrical appliance.

And no-one cares where you put the thing or how you use it, especially murphy's law. Follow electrical safety guidelines.

Sincerely
An Electrical Inspector.
Appreciated... Here is V3 of the Juicebox. Still waiting on 90mm fans, a new isolated dc circuit for the USB out and laser cut wood grills for the top openings. There are 2 large holes cut into the bottom that have dust filters and the box has 1/2 inch rubber feet to raise it up for airflow in through the bottom. I literally just hot glued over he top of the AC terminal screws and the connector area to prevent accidental touching.

Environment, application and implementation determine what is needed. Where this is used and how it is used, does not present issues with safety. I also have no 2 year-olds crawling around. Last time I did was decades ago and we're definitely not making babies anymore.

Concern is always appreciated... But I have things under control here. The original posted pics were simply a test bed. Never left on and only used to test out certain electronics for isolated USB output. It was never used in an every day system. The original image was only to show off the cables I made(& augmented) and the alpha enclosure. Finding out how large the enclosure needed to be, etc. People made way too much out of it and projected way too much onto the situation.

Attachments

• 20220223_120742.jpg
    20220223_120742.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220223_120755.jpg
    20220223_120755.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Top Bottom