• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, music goes through at least one ADC-DAC stage in the studio as it is mixed and mastered. Honestly you could probably string many such together with no audible impact.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thank you. As I expected the peak is still prominent. Even taking into consideration of the tilt it is at least 6dB. Not easy to miss.
I can flat i completely.But I like it,sometimes when in my mixed playlist a DSD song gets over (MathAudio EQ can't be applied in DSD) and this thing is prominent I find my self listening to it like a guilty pleasure :).

Sokel

Master Contributor
Found the loud one.

Loud.jpg

A little lifeless though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can flat i completely.But I like it,sometimes when in my mixed playlist a DSD song gets over (MathAudio EQ can't be applied in DSD) and this thing is prominent I find my self listening to it like a guilty pleasure :).
Using EQ for tonality control is something different. I cannot comment on it. I was only interested with equalising the frequency response curve. The rest is personal taste. However, if it was my system I would have a flat FR and then use EQ to alter the tonality.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
Interesting word to use for a decent FR. :)
It's nice when loud,but for moderate and low...
I think it has to do with my music too,old classical recordings are not bass heavy.So...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's nice when loud,but for moderate and low...
I think it has to do with my music too,old classical recordings are not bass heavy.So...
As I said above, you are talking tonality of the music, whereas I was commenting on the flatness of the FR. Subjective vs objective... :)

NotAnotherUserName

This is where the objective vs subjective argument comes in. With Dirac in the chain my frequency response was flatter and sloping in a variety of Harmon curves as shown below, so objectively they measured better, but subjectively sounded worse. The only way I can describe the "worse" is with the subjective verbiage used above. As an example, without Dirac the reaction I get from people who sit in the listening position and hear the illusion of a three-dimensional auditory event is "WOW, I didn't know that was even a thing!" But with Dirac in the chain, that reaction vanished. It's tonally corrected but sounds "flat" and less immersive. I'm as much of a objectivist as you can get, but I believe since Dirac is measuring and corrective for both the direct and reflected sound reaching the microphone, it's over correcting for something that's not wrong in the first place. As you can see from my original graph I have an excellent uncorrected in-room response, adding Dirac seems (subjectively, I know) to ruin it. Not sure what else to tell you. If you're in the area come have a listen and hear for yourself.

View attachment 248432View attachment 248433
View attachment 248434View attachment 248435
Literally signed up just to agree with this post. I quite like Dirac for movies. I believe it makes the sound clearer but for music if you run it full range like this it absolutely kills the sound stage.

My old Sony AVR didn't do this.

I am attempting to limit it up to 500Hz with a bit of *boosted base just to see if that helps.

* boosted in Dirac but only up to almost the level it was before EQ.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so objectively they measured better, but subjectively sounded worse
Interesting situation, to me anyway. I would suggest to listen to both with and without Dirac without knowing which is which, just to be sure you really ear what you think you are hearing. Imaging, 3D depth, is all in our mind.
All that said, some of the effects of Dirac, might not show clearly on your graph and might be detrimental to the sound quality, leading you to ear what you ear.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just became aware of this thread.
It is interesting for me finding a similar new thread here entitled "First attempt at manual EQ - opinions appreciated".

Top Bottom