• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An Audiophile's System

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28849

I thought it might be useful on this site to show how much a Golden Ear/Audiophile has spent on my system. These are approximations not including tax, as I don't have the receipts in front of me. This also doesn't include money spent on other gear that is now not is use in main rig.

Ok, here goes:
Source/s- $4000.00
Dac- $2100.00
pre-amp/multi-channel processor- $7500.00
Amp/s- $8000.00
Power Conditioner- $2500.00
Mixer- $200.00
Headphones- $450.00
Speakers, 2 sets- $10,000
Computer/monitor/media player- $3000.00
Interconnects/speaker wire- $1000.00
Phono pre-amp- $300.00
Professional Recorder- $1000.00
Total: $40,050

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it might be useful on this site to show how much a Golden Ear/Audiophile has spent on my system.

For some reason this comes to mind.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think the OP is showing off - just offering some facts which you can compare to your expenditure if you wish.

I too have spent something of that order over the years - £30,000 or so - some of it wasted on over expensive gear like cables etc. when I didn't know better. Included is about £5,000 on room treatment. The most sonically valued piece of equipment I bought is a Behringer DEQ2496 for £250. Whilst some of the gear may have been over priced they have lasted sixteen plus years without problems so that becomes about £2,000 per year. Not so bad.

If I were to start again I'd do some things differently. That might be an interesting thread!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
As an engineer, I've designed into each of my electronic components a special circuit, not available anywhere for any price, which makes these components out-perform in every possible way anything available on the market. There is nobody anywhere, no matter how much they have paid for their system that compares, even to the tiniest degree, the utter superiority of the circuit I have available to me exclusively. I have had Trump attempt to contact me and offer to pay uggge amounts of cash to have even a small benefit which this magnificent circuit yields.

Nobody here should even entertain the thought of trying to get me to build this circuit for them, as nobody here is worthy of even the short description I have provided here of its magnificent performance.

Now go away and try to enjoy your pitiful, shrivelling, little systems and your lame attempts at sonic nirvana. :cool:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think the OP is showing off - just offering some facts which you can compare to your expenditure if you wish.

Disagree, I do think he is trying to show off with his "See how much money i spent, it must be better than yours" trying to justify why his system must be more hifi than yours, syndrome.
He could have simply listed the names of the pieces of gear in his system, yet rather chose to list the prices. If that's not ego driven, then what is it?
Since he began posting here, it's been basically, i know more than you, i got more money than you, my system cost's more than yours, etc.

Living up in the clouds for so long as he does, it would seem he is becoming the truly full of hot air..

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor
The question on everyone's mind, how much did gold plating your ears cost? And does that not hamper, rather than improve sound quality. I've not looked deeply into the acoustic properties of gold, would surely cause a bit of distortion at resonant frequencies.

Semla

Whenever I see this kind of price tags I wonder whether you wouldn't rather spend the vast majority of it on actually seeing live concerts. Hifi will always provide an imperfect experience in comparison. Leftover money can be spent on a "good enough" system. After all, isn't the ultimate goal to enjoy music? (I realize that some people are well off or prefer dead artists)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a reverse thread like this on What's the best once. They asked you only list systems you had or had seen and heard. My entry was:

JBL LSR 305s $300 including speaker stands and 25 ft of XLR cables.
Emotiva XDA-1 DAC $399 with remote and balanced out with USB in.
Free laptop given to me for a source.

Obviously didn't include the cost of music I had purchased.

This could be a highly satisfying system for music with outsized bang for the bucks.

It is my opinion that where money buys performance the ratio is this being a 4th order factor. Twice as good costs 16 times as much. So the $40K system if well chosen should be 2.75 times better than the one I list. ;)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The OP obviously knows ASR members are the least likely to be impressed by how expensive his system is. A nice attempt at getting members wound up.

No doubt Simon 13th will be impressed, when he’s finished trolling on another thread. Might even be the same person.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whenever I see this kind of price tags I wonder whether you wouldn't rather spend the vast majority of it on actually seeing live concerts. Hifi will always provide an imperfect experience in comparison. Leftover money can be spent on a "good enough" system. After all, isn't the ultimate goal to enjoy music? (I realize that some people are well off or prefer dead artists)
The people with pricy systems probably go to all the live music they want to, and are not constrained, I know I'm not. I don't see live music as better than recorded, it's different, and lots of live music sounds crap.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Pats Born2Run on the head and tells him “very good son - very impressive- now run along and play with the big boys, don’t forget what we talked about....no fumbling with your tinkle in front of girls”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom