• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An audio engineer explains why Dolby Atmos Music is “definitely going to supersede stereo”

Tom C

Major Contributor
I dropped Apple for Qobuz, but if memory serves, one of the Apple playlists is all Atmos. It is a mix of every genre, from classical to jazz, country, rock and pop. Individual tracks are in the list, but the entire album the track is from is available in Atmos, and linked to the listed track.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never heard any arguments that Atmos is bad for consumers.

If Atmos didn't provide Apple (of all companies) a competetive edge they wouldn't support it. Their content on Itunes / Apple Music is already heavily DRM-ed.
Apple’s music streamed is DRM-ed. iTunes isn’t. The difference being you own the latter, but rent the former.

Atmos is proprietary. In general proprietary is bad for consumers as it limits options and adds hidden costs.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple’s music streamed is DRM-ed. iTunes isn’t. The difference being you own the latter, but rent the former.

You don't really own music on iTunes, you own a license to download the music from iTunes. a license that Apple can revoke (if they wish) at any time.

So in a way you don't own any music, regardless of how you go about it.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't really own music on iTunes, you own a license to download the music from iTunes. a license that Apple can revoke (if they wish) at any time.

So far, I have stuck with physical media. Mainly because I own it. & when I go to islands in the pacific or Korea, I still have it. Do I want to digitize it? Yes, but only what I own. To make it more portable. It's easier to move my system to where I am then to move my media. And staying in one location all year is not my norm.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

On Macs, iTunes exists only as a place to purchase music. If I purchase it, their isn’t any DRM last I checked. Music is DRM as it is subscription based. Might be different on PC?

Now I need to double check this.

Edit. So I was able to open a song purchased through iTunes, strip the meta data and convert the format using Audition. I can play it back via multiple players. So it doesn’t seem to have any DRM.

I can’t even see the files I’ve downloaded from Music and can only access them through Music. So definitely DRM-ed.

Last edited:

Soundmixer

When I think about it, I think, "If something requires this kind of complexity in set-up, how can it possibly 'definitely supersede' something as simple and as ubiquitous as stereo?
I think it is kind of misleading and disingenuous to use an ultra-complex immersive setup as a benchmark for setup complexity when an AVR, 7 bookshelf speakers, and in-ceiling or on ceiling speakers are all that is required. Heck, you can even use a (gulp, double gulp) 7.1.4 soundbar even though its performance would be very compromised next to the former.

Soundmixer

Atmos is proprietary. In general proprietary is bad for consumers as it limits options and adds hidden costs
There are pluses and minuses to having proprietary technology. Also, there is no limited option here. While Atmos is the dominant format at the moment, we still have X and Auro that can deliver the same results as Atmos. The added costs are a red herring in this case - they are baked in.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
One of the most exciting side benefits from the Atmos explosion on Apple is the fact the along side it, Apple has included many regular 5.1 and even quad recordings to their catalog.
A year or two back, Kal Rubinson and I had some discussions with a gentleman from Qobuz about their streaming of surround files. At the time they had a very small handful of 5.1 files available, mostly all classical and for some reason they would only be playable thru a Roon server. Sadly I was told by him, they didn't any have any real intent on expanding or improving this situation. Don't know what things are like over there now since I'm over the moon happy with the offerings on Apple 4kTV (if they'd only improve that wacky IU).
Never expected I'd be writing nice things about Apple but here it is. LOL

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Macs, iTunes exists only as a place to purchase music. If I purchase it, their isn’t any DRM last I checked. Music is DRM as it is subscription based. Might be different on PC?

Now I need to double check this.
There are pluses and minuses to having proprietary technology. Also, there is no limited option here. While Atmos is the dominant format at the moment, we still have X and Auro that can deliver the same results as Atmos. The added costs are a red herring in this case - they are baked in.
You say baked in. I say hidden. We pay it, either in the form of hidden taxes or from fewer choices in songs due to increased production costs.

Personally, I have a bunch of satellite speakers sitting around unused, because after fiddling and futzing, I found them more of a distraction than a benefit. Partly because even when working well, I found the mixes on movies distracting. Doors opening on screen sounding like they were behind me. And like lightning strikes when they closed. Music was usually better, but again the mixes were often distracting.

Much of this is because I live in a house built in 1945. Size and shape of the rooms makes implementing surround speakers difficult. When I did have the surrounds up there was about a 12” square that sounded good technically speaking (mixes were still annoying). Outside of that one or the other would totally dominate.

My guess is that to really get the benefits for more than a single listener you need a fairly large symmetrical room. Something easy to come by for houses built in the last 20 years for the upper middle class in the US. For the rest of the world and even urban US, it will probably be a slow adoption (if at all) due to the poor implementation forced by architecture.

Tom C

Major Contributor
One of the most exciting side benefits from the Atmos explosion on Apple is the fact the along side it, Apple has included many regular 5.1 and even quad recordings to their catalog.
A year or two back, Kal Rubinson and I had some discussions with a gentleman from Qobuz about their streaming of surround files. At the time they had a very small handful of 5.1 files available, mostly all classical and for some reason they would only be playable thru a Roon server. Sadly I was told by him, they didn't any have any real intent on expanding or improving this situation. Don't know what things are like over there now since I'm over the moon happy with the offerings on Apple 4kTV (if they'd only improve that wacky IU).
Never expected I'd be writing nice things about Apple but here it is. LOL
Do they have DSOM or Tommy in Atmos, quad or 5.1?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Do they have DSOM or Tommy in Atmos, quad or 5.1?
Just checked, no on either.
Surprised nothing in 5.1 since the mixes are around.
Quite possibly Roger Wanker got something in place to stop it again? :mad:

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked, no on either.
Surprised nothing in 5.1 since the mixes are around.
Quite possibly Roger Wanker got something in place to stop it again?

According to this a multidisc reissue has 5.1 mixed Tommy on Disc 3 bluray in 24/96 surround.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Proprietary distribution formats are always bad for consumers.

When CD was making its initial consumer push, one of the record company execs (don't remember which one) is reported to have said, "Why would we want to make our master tapes freely available for anyone to own, and possibly copy?" This was essentially correct, at least if the CD was mastered properly. With records and/or cassettes, consumers possessed less than perfect copies that would wear out, requiring new purchases. Digits made all that moot.

There was no streaming, but only FM (AM by that time had become drive to work happy talk entertainment, focused programming such as Spanish language oriented content, paid religious programming, or news-talk--nothing really serious music oriented). Of course with radio, the listener had no control over programming.

To preclude copying, record companies investigated anti-copy schemes (such as notch filters); that was said to have pretty much killed consumer DAT (although given its initial expense, and with its own hardware peculiarities, I wonder whether that format would have been readily accepted by most consumers?).

Now, with streaming, and pay as you go subs, the ball is back in the record company's park. Or whomever is in control of the streaming. I don't partake in streaming, but I presume one can record the streams? I suppose with subscriptions, programming is so convenient that no one is interested in doing that.

Do artists make any money on streaming? I recently read about a couple of artists wanting to remove their music from a streaming service, for some or another reason. My guess is that means they don't make any money with it. Maybe for artists it comes down to selling tickets for live shows, offering expensive t-shirts and selling vinyl LPs at the intermission booth. Possibly a minimal cut on concession sales? Touring can't be inexpensive.

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

joeren

From my perspective, most people will listen to music that is convenient and not necessarily ”high quality”. There’s no way the the masses will accept another “ultimate” format.

Top Bottom