• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An Android device as a touchscreen network streamer...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I’m being lazy now, and not reading the whole thread, but can an Ethernet connection be brought into the picture, to eliminate Wi-Fi gremlins?
I don't think it's been mentioned, but it might work if you've got a powered usb hub. It could introduce gremlins of its own though, especially if you're streaming high bit rates. The Raspberry Pi (<4) is in more or less the same situation - a USB OTG port in host mode with a powered USB hub and USB network, and when a number of factors combine it can get audio glitches when streaming to USB DACs. Higher bit rates and sample depths make this more likely, as does streaming over the wired interface as it's sharing the same USB OTG port as the DAC. Then again some people never run into it - I've only found it when running BruteFIR - and it may only be an issue on the Pi. Let us know how you get on if you give it a go.

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
I’m being lazy now, and not reading the whole thread, but can an Ethernet connection be brought into the picture, to eliminate Wi-Fi gremlins?

I'm specifically addressing the use of Android mobiles, and I don't know of any with hardwired Ethernet ports.

As for WiFi gremlins, is that even a thing any more? I live in an urban neighborhood with massive WiFi coverage, and have yet to experience a problem. Granted the first thing I did when the access point was set up in our current house was to switch it to an unoccupied channel, though... :cool:

Screenshot_Wifi_Analyzer_20191016-123117.png

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm specifically addressing the use of Android mobiles, and I don't know of any with hardwired Ethernet ports.

As for WiFi gremlins, is that even a thing any more? I live in an urban neighborhood with massive WiFi coverage, and have yet to experience a problem. Granted the first thing I did when the access point was set up in our current house was to switch it to an unoccupied channel, though... :cool:
I use Ubiquiti commercial grade equipment. But I live in an apartment building in Manhattan. I find hi-res can occasionally be choked up over wifi.

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
I use Ubiquiti commercial grade equipment. But I live in an apartment building in Manhattan. I find hi-res can occasionally be choked up over wifi.

I just thought of something: a number of Android TV boxes have Ethernet ports, and I'll assume that they're capable of running BubbleUPnP as well... :cool:

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B075RXV2VR

Then there is this Android mini-pc with a touch screen:

https://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x9s-mini-pc-2gb-64gb-8-9-inch.html

Last edited:

captain paranoia

I just thought of something: a number of Android TV boxes have Ethernet ports, and I'll assume that they're capable of running BubbleUPnP as well...

I bought a couple of little 'Android media boxes' a few years ago; they have USB, uSD, ethernet, wifi, HDMI, 3.5mm audio/composite video and TOSlink SPDIF. And yes, they run BubbleUPnP; it was the best of the many Android DLNA/UPnP apps I could find at the time.

Those little boxes cost me £33 at the time. I could connect up an HDD, and have Bubble create a full DMS/DMC/DMR solution, but, instead, I connect via WiFi to my MyCloud NAS Twonky server, or I just use the DMR function.

My latest purchase is a £17 secondhand Atom N450 netbook, which runs MusicBee to access the NAS file server, and streams to my DLNA renderers.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a couple of little 'Android media boxes' a few years ago; they have USB, uSD, ethernet, wifi, HDMI, 3.5mm audio/composite video and TOSlink SPDIF. And yes, they run BubbleUPnP; it was the best of the many Android DLNA/UPnP apps I could find at the time.

Those little boxes cost me £33 at the time. I could connect up an HDD, and have Bubble create a full DMS/DMC/DMR solution, but, instead, I connect via WiFi to my MyCloud NAS Twonky server, or I just use the DMR function.

My latest purchase is a £17 secondhand Atom N450 netbook, which runs MusicBee to access the NAS file server, and streams to my DLNA renderers.

Like these? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=android+meda+box&ref=nb_sb_noss

or build your own?

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor

Yeah, like those. One could build their own Android media box, but they're so inexpensive now it hardly seems to be worth the effort beyond a learning exercise... :cool:

Another thing about Android TV boxes, a number of them have Chromecast built-in. In that particular instance, one can ignore the whole DLNA/UPnP configuration, and simple install Google Home and the appropriate streaming apps instead.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Back on the USB ethernet front I can confirm it's at least possible, but with caveats. I tried it with a Google Pixel (original) running LineageOS 16, the Google-supplied USB C->A adapter, a generic combined USB hub and gigabit ethernet adapter, and a UCA202 usb audio device. WiFi and mobile data were disabled. The wired ethernet connection was made, shown by a <-> symbol. Kodi streamed video from the internet, and the audio came out of the headphones connected to the UCA202. I'd recommend a powered hub, but I don't have one.

Now for the caveats. I tried it and it just worked, but that may not be typical.
  • The usb network adapter needs to be compatible with linux. Many are, but not all, and hardly any advertise it. Mine has a Ralink 8152 chipset.
  • Your android device needs to support OTG / host mode for the USB port. Many do, but not all.
  • Your android device needs to have the driver for your ethernet adapter. I'm not aware of a requirement for them to include any, but there's a fair chance that they do.
  • Your audio device needs to work with android.
  • Your app needs to work with the wired ethernet connection. Some just check for WiFi or mobile data connections, and assume there's no network connection if neither of those are connected.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I am anxious to waste my hard-earned money, I ordered a Volumio Primo to do this. Have to say, it works great. Didn’t need the DAC.

Fench

Worked for me too :

190213075538412.jpg

Samsung Galaxy as a renderer with an OTG cable to the DAC then XLR to active Focal monitors and the usual tablet as a control point, all under BubbleUPnP accessing Qobuz, Webradios and NAS (do not forget to put the phone in airplane mode, otherwise the ringing in the speakers all of a sudden might be of some annoyance)!
Hallo Fledermaus, does the Galaxy pass hi-res audio (e.g. Qobuz 192 kHz 24 bit) to your RME DAC?

Fench

A few days ago I stumbled across a video of Darko discussing using an LG V30 smartphone as a network streamer. Since I don't trust him very much, nor do I care for his presentation style, I decided to experiment with the idea myself. By the way, the following site conducts some performance analysis on the audio subsystems of various mobile devices: https://www.gsmarena.com

Any Android smartphone or tablet running the appropriate software would fit the bill.

1. Download and install BubbleUPnP on it.

2. Within Bubble's settings, ensure that the device is setup as a "local renderer". It should be set up that way as a default. But just in case, I'll include a screenshot below for clarification.

3. Attach the Android device to the DAC/pre-amp/amp via whatever method is applicable. In my particular instance, I just attached my tablet to my integrated amp via the headphone jack into the aux port on the amp.

4. Ensure that Bubble is actually running on the device.

5. Launch whatever DLNA compatible streaming application one wishes to use on another device, select the Android running Bubble as the output device, and away you go.

BubbleUPnP local renderer settings:

View attachment 35406

A screenshot of a streaming application on my phone referencing my tablet as a playback device:

View attachment 35407

"UAPP includes a DLNA renderer that you can play to with BubbleUPnP."

Tip received from BubbleUPnP Support.

Indeed, UAPP can be controlled by BubbleUPnP and streams hi-res. No OTG cable required, although I didn't thoroughly test if OTG supports more functions such as volume control.
RME and Topping DACs showing 192 kHz from Qobuz, bit depth (24) not revealed by UAPP.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Hallo Fledermaus, does the Galaxy pass hi-res audio (e.g. Qobuz 192 kHz 24 bit) to your RME DAC?
Sorry to be late - and not to be able to respond, since I didn't look into it and the whole thing has been unplugged for some time. If I happen to get it hooked up again I'll tell you !

Top Bottom