• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An amateur quick comparison of Chord Mojo and Fiio K3

• Thread starter Deleted member 5017
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5017

I've been playing music through a Chord Mojo in to Sennheiser HD700's for a couple months. I recently needed to provide sound in another room, so bought a pair of HD 600's and a Fiio K3.

I was originally displeased with the sound of the 600/K3, so I started EQing it with eqAPO. I then became concerned that the USB-powered K3 would not be able to handle the bass boost I prefer. I discovered that Room Eq Wizard could do distortion tests, and just completed some quick tests comparing the Mojo and K3 powering the HD 700's (I assume they are harder to drive than the HD 600's, but will test more).

Although the K3 can only drive the HD 700's to a peak (per the REW test output level pink? noise) of 90 dB, and the Mojo can do at least 99 dB, I was surprised to find that distortion levels from 20-100 Hz are within a few percent. (FYI-I listen to music at 15 dB lower than that 90 dB output).

Take these numbers with a few grains of salt. They were obtained with the tip of a UMIK-1 mic 1/8" from the center of the fabric cover inside the earcup of the HD 700. The numbers are the greatest percent seen between 20 Hz and 35 Hz, as listed in the REW distortion screen.

At a measured output of 89 dB, the Mojo's largest 2nd harmonic was 11.2%. The K3 was 10.1%
At 79 dB, the Mojo was 3.8%, the K3 was 7.9%. I'm not sure if those levels of distortion are perceivable. They were 20+ dB down from the fundamental.

So, at first test, the K3 seems fully able to drive high-impedance HD 600/700's to reasonably loud levels without difficulty.

I welcome feedback on how my admittedly simple testing may be horribly flawed, leading to non-meaningful results.

As far as listening goes, the K3 seems to be fine, although I need to work on the fitment of the HD 600's, and further eq changes.

NemoReborn

It is a reasonable end to end test. I have a Fiio K3 that I will measure "soon" to quantify its performance.

looking forward for this review to help me decide if i keep the K3 and sell the DFR or vice versa

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
u must be masochist if u drive hd6xx or hd700 with portable... :)

Lucy

I have my HD650 driven by an old and venerable (and portable) Fiio E10. Sounds glorious! :)

Obviously, sounds better with my monstrous (50 kilograms of weight, so scarcely portable :D) tube amp.

Last edited:

pantag

It is a reasonable end to end test. I have a Fiio K3 that I will measure "soon" to quantify its performance.
Any update on when to expect to see the measurements for the Fiio K3? Besides the crappy Fulla 2, i am not sure there is much competition out there around $100+ for a decent quality DAC/amp portable combo. I believe Topping makes the NX4 (or something like that) but the K3 looks better overall. Fiio says it can drive up to 150 Ohms, but it would like to see if you can get some clear, decent amplification for 250-300 ohms headphones such as the DT770 Pro or the HD650. Looking forward to your review and competition assessment at this price range!

PaulFreund

Any update on when to expect to see the measurements for the Fiio K3? Besides the crappy Fulla 2, i am not sure there is much competition out there around $100+ for a decent quality DAC/amp portable combo. I believe Topping makes the NX4 (or something like that) but the K3 looks better overall. Fiio says it can drive up to 150 Ohms, but it would like to see if you can get some clear, decent amplification for 250-300 ohms headphones such as the DT770 Pro or the HD650. Looking forward to your review and competition assessment at this price range!

I can comment a little bit on that setup. I recently got the HD6XX and the FiiO K3 amp. At first I was a little bit unsure but then I read solderdudes "HD650 modifications.pdf" which also does an analysis of efficiency and like in the analysis I can go to uncomfortable levels with the K3. I compared with a little modified xDuoo XD-05 and could not make out a difference. I hope to soon have a balanced cable with which the K3 should have even more power.

So far I am very pleased with the sound and portability. I can plug the K3 into my Nokia 7+ and it works without issues (I think PCM 48k but not sure). Can you elaborate your issues with the Fulla 2? Nevermind, found the review :D

Last edited:

pantag

Can you elaborate your issues with the Fulla 2? Nevermind, found the review:D
Yes, exactly that. Fulla 2 starts distorting a lot after 3 o’clock and is not very powerfull overall. Looking at the specs, K3 is even less powerful so i am not too sure where to look at next for a portable solution for 250 and 300 ohm headphones. (I do have a Magni 2 uber for my desk and a THX AAA 789 coming soon for my desk — need an occasional laptop solution).

Top Bottom