• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ampsandsound Nautilus

OP
I

Iorveth

I'm not sure I would trust a manufacturer who can't get mV vs. µV straight in their specs.

Also, several hundred µV worth of output noise even in the lowest-impedance setting? That must be very much non-white (e.g. 1/f) and/or measured improperly, otherwise the OP would be running for the hills even with the (measured) 98.4 dB / 1 V AB-1266 and not making any claims concerning blackness, unless he's half-deaf of course.

SNR with given output power and noise specs comes out to 90 dB... which sounds halfway acceptable until you realize that even in the 32 ohm setting maximum output is about 12.6 Vrms... +22 dBV. That means 120 dB SPL (ish) with these cans, and noise at 30 dB SPL (ish).

Oh, on the pictures the cans (47 ohms nominal) look to be plugged into the Hi-Z (300 ohm) output. I can't imagine that's a particularly good idea, output impedance may well be 100-150 ohms like that. I can't help but think of the old saying about a fool and his money.
I am actually plugged in to 32 ohm. plussed into Hi Z for image. Anyways rumors about this forum was correct.

Koloth

I am actually plugged in to 32 ohm. plussed into Hi Z for image. Anyways rumors about this forum was correct.

You gonna cry now?
Threaten to leave and never come back?

You heard "rumors" about ASR, decided to repost an old subjective essay on an incredibly expensive amp of obsolete technology and find the lack of enthusiasm in the reception your content-vacuum of a post received to confirm those "rumors". Ok. And why is this supposed to be of any significance at all to us?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Great rumors must go on?!

Users find even little errors in the usage of amps and headphones.
Great Forum! Broud to be a part, ok just a tiny, but a part.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very pretty, very expensive, audio jewelry... Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Martin

(Oh look! It's a drive-by troll.)

Top Bottom