• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier's power unit makes noise

alaios

Hi all,
this is not an audio issue per se. I have just bought the Loxjie A30 amplifier and once I connect it to the power unit causes the powerline network to almost fail (speed drops by around 100% and causes disconnects). That probably means that the powerunit of the amplifier AC to DC converter is pushing spikes to the powerline network.
Does anyone know how I can filter those emissions and keep the amplifier running properly? Another option would be with your help to buy a very high quality AC to DC converter but I do not know any reputable brands.
Regards
Alex

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OP
A

alaios

grat suggestion but which ones shall I buy?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
grat suggestion but which ones shall I buy?
Measure the diameter of your power cord and get one that just fits over it. I would place it near the power supply to reduce any radiation form the power cord itself.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I imagine you'd need something a bit more heavy-duty than just a clip-on ferrite in order to keep differential-mode noise on the mains at bay. I'd want something that incorporates an actual line filter. Look for a dedicated RF / EMI mains filter to plug into an outlet perhaps. There may be some fancy power strips including one as well, but it's hard to differentiate between those and ones that just have surge protection, which wouldn't be of any help.

But speaking of power strips, an assortment of those and / or an extension cable in series with the A30 power supply may just add enough parasitics and increase source impedance to clean things up a fair bit. Possibly still not enough though. A quick search didn't turn up any alternative PSU options for the A30 either though.

Powerline ethernet is super finicky tech, unfortunately. It's kind of like WiFi over power lines and not only requires a mains voltage as clean as possible (which is why you are always supposed to plug the things directly into a wall outlet), but also either both ends must be on the same phase or two different phases must be coupled RF-wise in the junction box. Not to mention that something the size of typical house wiring potentially makes a decent transmitting antenna for the kind of frequencies the system is operating at, which (ironically) is why the kind of people with the kind of RF expertise to properly set the stuff up will generally be hating its guts for its potential for interference to shortwave radio services within a radius of hundreds of meters. It's definitely last resort tech for when you are living in the equivalent of a concrete bunker. In many locations a strategic combination of Ethernet cables (or even just a boring old phone line or unused TV coax cable, see single pair ethernet / 100Base-T1 / G.hn etc.) and WiFi is likely to achieve better results.

(Either way, do still get a mains filter for the noisy power supply.)

Top Bottom