• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifiers based on Hypex/Purifi and maybe Pascal

Valhalla

Hello guys,
Actually I'm submitting this thread to use the wisdom of the crowd and hear the ideas about designing and building amplifiers based on Hypex/Purifi and possibly Pascal modules. For now, we are focusing on Hypex NC252MP to see how it will turn out. Afterwards we will work on nc1200 and NC502MP and NC500. It's been about seven or eight year we are OEM customer of Hypex, and we have built a dozen models based on Hypex for our domestic market but we many consider building some models for overseas markets as our currency value against USD has dropped significantly, so it will be worthwhile for a manufacturer to sell the product and receive USD and the buyer will also pay less because of lower manufacturing cost. We tend to build the chassis out of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy billet. Here are some models we have built so far, although they might not be perfect and that's why I'm looking for opinions here to revise the designs for a better product.
this is the model based on NC500OEM (and DLCP and DAC/preamp):
photo_2017-08-23_18-43-51.jpgphoto_2017-08-22_16-59-11.jpgphoto_2017-05-17_22-19-33.jpgphoto_2018-01-05_23-04-42.jpgphoto_2017-08-10_21-27-46.jpgphoto_2017-08-10_21-26-19.jpgphoto_2018-01-05_23-04-24.jpgphoto_2018-01-05_23-04-31.jpgphoto_2017-09-08_22-29-04.jpgphoto_2017-09-08_22-29-42.jpg
This is the monobloc model we have build based on Hypex NC1200:
IMG_6031.JPGIMG_6034.JPGIMG_6717.jpgIMG_6022.JPG1 (8).JPG1 (2).JPG1 (5).JPG1 (6).JPGIMG_5974.JPG1 (3).JPGphoto_۲۰۱۹-۰۷-۲۲_۲۲-۲۷-۲۲.jpgphoto_۲۰۱۹-۰۷-۲۲_۲۲-۲۴-۴۴.jpgphoto_۲۰۱۹-۰۷-۲۲_۲۲-۱۹-۵۸.jpgphoto_۲۰۱۹-۰۷-۲۲_۲۲-۱۹-۵۵.jpg
We usually hard-anodize aluminum after machining, and it will be anti-scratch, although it will decrease thermal conductivity a little.
We thought we may be able to build a stereo amplifier based on Hypex NC252MP with single piece aluminum body for less than 500 bucks and then try other models like nc1200 and nc500 and Purifi afterwards. This is the concept for now. It's a 200mm x 200mm x 58mm. We try to keep the appearance simple and minimalist. Modules will be mount up-side-down on the top of the chassis so whole the aluminum body will act as a big heat sink:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۲_۱۰-۱۴-۵۱.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۲_۱۰-۱۲-۴۱.jpg

There will be some ventilation slots on the bottom door so the air will get through it and the hot air will exit out of another slot on the rear wall:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۲_۱۰-۱۸-۳۸.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۲_۱۰-۱۷-۴۹.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۲_۱۱-۱۹-۲۳.jpg

For now, we want to make sure that the ventilation is adequate. Any idea for a better product is much appreciated. Hopefully we can offer the product for about 500USD (NC252MP) after the final samples are manufactured. I think this would be an unbeatable price tag considering the serious machining and material we are putting in this. This is possible because of low labor wage/energy cost/tax we have here in Iran and probably this couldn't be done elsewhere (well except China).

Last edited:
OP
V

Valhalla

I found some very old pictures of one of the earliest models of power amplifiers we built based on NC500. I can't exactly remember the date, but it should be sometime around 2012-2013. This was some serious +20hours aluminum machining shaving~35 kg billet to a 17-18 kg final chassis. The appearance was inspired by some kinda dinosaur!
175.gif
32.gif
it was just crazy.

photo_2016-07-14_09-01-41.jpgphoto_2016-07-12_13-40-05.jpgphoto_2016-07-12_13-40-26.jpgphoto_2016-07-12_13-40-52.jpgphoto_2016-07-28_13-10-37.jpgphoto_2016-07-28_13-10-36.jpgphoto_2016-07-12_13-42-39.jpg
photo_2018-01-06_00-05-46.jpg

OP
V

Valhalla

I doubt I've created the thread in the proper section.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats. Using machined aluminum billets as amplifier cases can certainly produce a gorgeous result and probably a very effective one with regards to heat dissipation and EMI isolation. OTOH, maybe it's costly over-kill. Nice that you can make them cheaper in Iran.

bogart

Forum Donor
Arash, it probably should be in Desperate Dealers (@AdamG247 can probably help move it?). You did do it yourself, but it does seem to be commercially oriented.

For curiosity, do you have barriers to commerce with the US? The favorable currency does help you, but I wonder about import issues.

I agree with @Gorganzola that the cases end up being quite striking from using machined billet. Are you able to recapture and recycle the removed material? As lovely as the results are, I would hesitate to order one due to guilty feelings about the material used. Particularly since these modules run fairly cool, total-unit heatsinks are a pretty big material investment. I'd love to see a compromise design where you produce a cool sculpted faceplate, or a partial chassis that'd reduce shipping weight AND increase material efficiency. Still take advantage of the cool CNC capabilities, but not the full unit.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi Arash,

When you first asked where to post this, I thought this was a DIY project. If you are just building these for yourself and don’t intend to sell them, this is the correct sub-forum. However, if your ultimate goal is to build these Amps to sell, then this is not the correct section? Please advise.

If you want to sell the amp builds here. You need to read this section that applies to Dealers/Builders/Manufacturers:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...es-for-audio-dealers-and-manufacturers.18155/

Please don’t forget to send @amirm a PM with the appropriate information as outlined in the above link. Thank you.

OP
V

Valhalla

Congrats. Using machined aluminum billets as amplifier cases can certainly produce a gorgeous result and probably a very effective one with regards to heat dissipation and EMI isolation. OTOH, maybe it's costly over-kill. Nice that you can make them cheaper in Iran.

Thanks for your kind words.
281.gif

OP
V

Valhalla

Arash, it probably should be in Desperate Dealers (@AdamG247 can probably help move it?). You did do it yourself, but it does seem to be commercially oriented.

For curiosity, do you have barriers to commerce with the US? The favorable currency does help you, but I wonder about import issues.

I agree with @Gorganzola that the cases end up being quite striking from using machined billet. Are you able to recapture and recycle the removed material? As lovely as the results are, I would hesitate to order one due to guilty feelings about the material used. Particularly since these modules run fairly cool, total-unit heatsinks are a pretty big material investment. I'd love to see a compromise design where you produce a cool sculpted faceplate, or a partial chassis that'd reduce shipping weight AND increase material efficiency. Still take advantage of the cool CNC capabilities, but not the full unit.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I will keep the thread in DIY section for now till the final product is ready and then go for commercial dealers area.
Actually we can build such solid bodies even cheaper using 1000 series aluminum alloy, but that grade lacks the uniformity and has porosity so that's why we use 6061-T6 grade. The chips and shavings will be recycled, and we sell them for 1/5 of the alloy price.
There are countless manufacturers worldwide using chassis using aluminum sheets (not billet) so there is no point for us to manufacture such products.

OP
V

Valhalla

Hi Arash,

When you first asked where to post this, I thought this was a DIY project. If you are just building these for yourself and don’t intend to sell them, this is the correct sub-forum. However, if your ultimate goal is to build these Amps to sell, then this is not the correct section? Please advise.

If you want to sell the amp builds here. You need to read this section that applies to Dealers/Builders/Manufacturers:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...es-for-audio-dealers-and-manufacturers.18155/

Please don’t forget to send @amirm a PM with the appropriate information as outlined in the above link. Thank you.

Thank you. I think for now I'll keep the thread here and when the final product is ready I'll go for the commercial section.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Interesting, looks like the components are sectioned off to avoid interference? Just made me realize most manufacturers don't bother even doing that...........they just plop it down in the box. Even a certain Colorado company that can charge $15,000 for an amplifier ;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arash. I would like to see you do a Purifi design, preferable one using multiple 1ET400A's together with Neurochrome buffers. I'd like to see 3, 4, and 5 channel amplifiers with speakon outputs wired so as to be bridgeable and hypex and possibly conventional power suppies.

Things like milling a solid billet of aluminum will only add cost, and not performance. However, if milling a custom order out of a solid billet of platinum will ensure your operation is well capitalized, consider doing an email to Mr Bezos.

OP
V

Valhalla

Interesting, looks like the components are sectioned off to avoid interference? Just made me realize most manufacturers don't bother even doing that...........they just plop it down in the box. Even a certain Colorado company that can charge $15,000 for an amplifier ;)

That much of isolation probably will be advantageous from noise interference point of view. When we are machining a single piece billet, so why not keep some of the material that might have some benefits.

OP
V

Valhalla

Any news? Interested... :)
JSmith

Actually, we have been working on it. We decided to use Hypex NC252MP for the first batch. We will have a ventilation slot at the rear side of the chassis and there will be another slot on the front side of the bottom plate, so the fresh air will flow from bottom/front to rear/top. Hopefully this will do the job. This is the final CAD design:

photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۹_۲۲-۴۹-۱۵.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۹_۲۲-۴۹-۱۷.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۹_۲۲-۴۹-۲۷.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۱۹_۲۲-۴۹-۳۹.jpg

Aluminum billets were cut to the length. Of course some centimeters bigger than final model so we will shave all sides of the cube and there won't be any raw and dirty surface at the end. First we machined one side of the billets to have a reference surface and drilled four M10 holes to use them to tighten the block to the fixture. All these four holes will be gone when machining the inside of the chassis:

photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۰-۵۶-۱۲.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۰-۵۶-۱۴.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۰-۵۶-۱۵.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۰-۵۶-۱۷.jpg

all blocks ready:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۰-۵۶-۱۹.jpg

We milled the fixture from steel with the same holes through it:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۱-۰۹-۰۹.jpg

and outer of the chassis was also milled:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۱-۱۶-۳۵.jpg

Before and after:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۱-۱۸-۳۰.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۱-۱۸-۳۱.jpgphoto_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۳_۰۱-۱۸-۳۲.jpg

Then the inside:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۶_۱۷-۵۱-۱۹.jpg

and then the rear panel:
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۶-۰۹_۲۲-۰۸-۳۳.jpg

That's it for now. We have to sand and polish the chassis and then go for final finish which will be color anodizing/hard anodizing or mate or glossy furnace colors.
44.gif

OP
V

Valhalla

Arash. I would like to see you do a Purifi design, preferable one using multiple 1ET400A's together with Neurochrome buffers. I'd like to see 3, 4, and 5 channel amplifiers with speakon outputs wired so as to be bridgeable and hypex and possibly conventional power suppies.

Things like milling a solid billet of aluminum will only add cost, and not performance. However, if milling a custom order out of a solid billet of platinum will ensure your operation is well capitalized, consider doing an email to Mr Bezos.

There won't be a problem doing what you explained, but I have no idea about Neurochrome buffers. I'll google it.

Edit:
this is it, right?
https://neurochrome.com/collections/buffers-preamps/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer
129USD, a lot of money in the hellhole we are living (IRAN). We probably can make our own buffer board much cheaper but have never done it, and we don't have an Audio Precision, but we have Audiomatica Clio that might come handy designing something like this.
What makes this Neurochrome special? There are many other buffers other manufacturers are using, some are discrete.

Last edited:
OP
V

Valhalla

After some sanding this is the final result with black mate finish. We prevented the coating where the module is going to be attached to the chassis for better thermal conductivity.

IMG_7032.JPGIMG_7033.JPGIMG_7034.JPGIMG_7035.JPGIMG_7036.JPGIMG_7037.JPGIMG_7038.JPGIMG_7040.JPGIMG_7049.JPGIMG_7050.JPG

That's it for now. I'll post more pictures of the assembled sample in due time. Thanks for watching.

Top Bottom