• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Suggestions Wanted

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I would be really surprised if there was a statistically significant preference even with the nastiest loads out there.
It would be a great surprise as in hifi terms neither design are costly .

I'd be grateful and swap my amps out in a heartbeat if the results suggested improvement.

For me , I dont listen or worry about amplification anymore after getting some small , efficient, powerful and good looking black boxes from @March Audio .. other assemblers are avaliable!

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Adcom's amps (GFA 555/565/575/585) meet all your requirements. I bought a 5800 new 28 years ago with daily use, still runs and sounds like new. Plenty of power, can drive virtually any speaker, neutral clean sound, built to last, and not too expensive. Especially if you buy used. In engineering and build it's similar to Bryston, but less expensive.

pogo

Major Contributor
That makes sense. I did not do a double blind test. It was just me and the gentleman that was running the store. According to the review, the 268 has Hypex UcD. There's no doubt in my mind that I could pick out the 298 over and over and over again. I'm not sure if that's the module, or the input buffer or some other aspect of the construction that I'm not educated in, but they did not sound the same. The sales rep kept commenting on the bass. I think that had more to do with the c298 feeding it more power. I felt that it just overall sounded better and that too may have just been the result of feeding the speakers more power. In comparison the c268 sounded thin. I'm not trying to be fluffy here. This isn't a matter of extended high frequencies, soundstage width, air and separation. Maybe the c268 struggled to deal with the impedance dips of the speaker. However, as I mentioned earlier, if I had only heard the c268, I probably would have purchased it.

I can confirm your hearing impressions. The Purifi modules are highly recommended.

My new Amp: NAD M33 (Purifi)

My old Amp: NAD C388 (Hypex UcD)

I‘m amazed which textures can be heard on voices / instruments. I didn't know these before and therefore probably didn't miss them. The lightness and impulsiveness also surprises me again and again when browsing through my music collection. No need for a DBT, if you connect potent speakers!

I can only recommend anyone who has the opportunity to hear well implemented purifi amplifier live.

D

Deleted member 24907

I can confirm your hearing impressions. The Purifi modules are highly recommended.

My new Amp: NAD M33 (Purifi)

My old Amp: NAD C388 (Hypex UcD)

I‘m amazed which textures can be heard on voices / instruments. I didn't know these before and therefore probably didn't miss them. The lightness and impulsiveness also surprises me again and again when browsing through my music collection. No need for a DBT, if you connect potent speakers!

I can only recommend anyone who has the opportunity to hear well implemented purifi amplifier live.
I own the nad c368 and am wondering if the differences you are hearing are also present with dirac switched off. That would be more comparable with what to expect from the nad c298 I suppose.

pogo

Major Contributor
I own the nad c368 and am wondering if the differences you are hearing are also present with dirac switched off. That would be more comparable with what to expect from the nad c298 I suppose.

My rating was of course on hearing without DL correction
Welcome to the physical world, which does not only consist of querying a few specification values and therefore can only be part of the whole truth.
With DIRAC LIVE in operation, I have the following experience:
As soon as I want to improve my listening experience with DL, I get a lifeless and cloudy sound (even with my corrected problem area of 20-100Hz only). According to the DL manufacturer, there should be no deterioration! Interestingly, I am not alone with this experience, as you can read in other forums.
I am assuming that the reproduction potential of high-quality loudspeakers cannot be fully captured by measuring microphones (i used a UMIK-1 and the original supplied measuring microphone). The DIRAC LIVE corrected result sounds now like a mainstream loudspeaker which is unacceptable to my ears. Other users have improved their listening experience using speakers which do not sound like e.g. an Avantgarde Acoustic or a large B&W with suitable equipment.

And that could be the solution.
See below:

Earthworks FAQ - 02 / Technical
'Why do you make microphones that exceed 20kHz?'
Link: Earthworks FAQ

With such a microphone (type M50, …), the happening in the room can really be captured correctly, i.e. deliver optimal data for the correction calculation.
I will do my next attempt with a UMIK-2 instead of my UMIK-1. An improvement should be audible here.

In the meantime i correct with a self-generated flat curve and adjust it with the help of rew. With this solution I don't get a lifeless and cloudy sound.

Frequenzgang.PNG

Impulsantwort.PNG

Amplitudenkorrektur.PNG

D

Deleted member 24907

Thank you very much. I have to give the DL some more thought, consideration and investigation then. I have not bought a mainstream speaker nor do I want it to start sounding like one. In the end, it's the listening experience what is to be improved.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
XLR inputs
No DSP
Class A, AB, or D, but if class D it would have to be TOTL modules
Ability to drive speakers with sensitivity of 89db
Immediate Delivery in US (company produces/keeps stock of amps vs build to order)
Around $1000 for 2 channels
For accurate answers you might also want to specify:
- speaker power rating
- speaker impedance
- maximum target SPL @1m
- DAC (or preamp) output level
- need for integrated preamp functionalities (level adjustment, source selection, remote, ...)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I used Dirac Live for years (though using an SDP-75/Trinnov unit now) and it worked great for me on conventional and planer-dynamic (Magnepan) speakers. Like any room correction it will try to reduce some of the effects of the speakers and room, subject to the target curve it uses (which you can specify in Dirac Live's case). While room correction cannot fix everything, and can be fooled through a bad calibration and such, IME people not liking the sound after room correction is usually due to them either liking the frequency response of their speakers and room (emphasizing some frequencies, de-emphasizing others), or because they do not care for the target curve in use. One of the most common mistakes is specifying a flat target curve, which will usually sound bass-shy and too hot in the treble to most folk.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/YMMV/etc. - Don

Matt_Photo

Second. I own the p252, and use speakers with slightly lower sensitivity (Harbeth SHL5+). Not TOTL, and from AUS, but meets your other criteria. I run balanced from an RME DAC.
Does it work well with the RME dac? I've seen a few people say they are using one. Tempted to go down that route instead of an analogue Pre, current setup is an integrated but tempted to change it up in search of better.

OP
312elements

312elements

I used Dirac Live for years (though using an SDP-75/Trinnov unit now) and it worked great for me on conventional and planer-dynamic (Magnepan) speakers. Like any room correction it will try to reduce some of the effects of the speakers and room, subject to the target curve it uses (which you can specify in Dirac Live's case). While room correction cannot fix everything, and can be fooled through a bad calibration and such, IME people not liking the sound after room correction is usually due to them either liking the frequency response of their speakers and room (emphasizing some frequencies, de-emphasizing others), or because they do not care for the target curve in use. One of the most common mistakes is specifying a flat target curve, which will usually sound bass-shy and too hot in the treble to most folk.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/YMMV/etc. - Don

I’ve already got a mini dsp 88 that I’m not using. My personal issue with room correction is that it should be done pre conversion to avoid double conversion.

OP
312elements

312elements

Does it work well with the RME dac? I've seen a few people say they are using one. Tempted to go down that route instead of an analogue Pre, current setup is an integrated but tempted to change it up in search of better.

i know this wasn’t directed at me, but I can assure you that the ADI-2 makes for a great preamp, especially by ASR standards of not coloring the sound.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I’ve already got a mini dsp 88 that I’m not using. My personal issue with room correction is that it should be done pre conversion to avoid double conversion.

My chain is digital until the analog output to the power amplifiers that drive the speakers. And as @Blumlein 88 said there are numerous online tests showing multiple conversions are audibly transparent.

Last edited:

noobie1

If you don’t mind used, see if you can find a way to audition Elac Alchemy DPA-2 (on sale now for $1500) or DPA-1. I’ve heard DPA-1 in person and didn’t notice the leanness I equate with lesser class d amps. Amir has spoken well of Peter Madnick who designed the unit. I believe Peter was also a designer at Constellation at one point. I’ve seen DPA-2 open box for under $1000. Elac alchemy electronics were also chosen by TAD (Uber high end) to demo some of their speakers.

Synergy4

Adcom's amps (GFA 555/565/575/585) meet all your requirements. I bought a 5800 new 28 years ago with daily use, still runs and sounds like new. Plenty of power, can drive virtually any speaker, neutral clean sound, built to last, and not too expensive. Especially if you buy used. In engineering and build it's similar to Bryston, but less expensive.

I have used my Adcom 5802 for years, it works & sounds fine, but it does generate a lot of heat. Nelson Pass designed the amplifier Class AB but it is biased more into Class A than typical for Class AB.

Matt_Photo

i know this wasn’t directed at me, but I can assure you that the ADI-2 makes for a great preamp, especially by ASR standards of not coloring the sound.
Thanks for getting back to me. It was aimed at you as I saw you mentioned the ADI-2 and also a March amp. Currently running a Cyrus Integrated with a Chord Qutest DAC. But to if I were to get a March amp, then its working out if I replace the integrated for an analogue Pre, or replace the integrated and the Qutest for possibly the ADI-2 and simplify the chain.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I understand your feeling on this one, but if you go strictly by the numbers, using a good DAC/ADC at each stage would have no auditable effect at all.

Keep in mind that even using drivers of the highest calibre, you will really struggle to get distortion under -55 dB at a realistic SPL for music, Yet the top options for DAC are more than -120db.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used my Adcom 5802 for years, it works & sounds fine, but it does generate a lot of heat. Nelson Pass designed the amplifier Class AB but it is biased more into Class A than typical for Class AB.

I have that amp here too. The heat, and lack of protection circuitry, keeps me from using it much. And the *weight*. I needed all that power when I was driving Thiels.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for getting back to me. It was aimed at you as I saw you mentioned the ADI-2 and also a March amp. Currently running a Cyrus Integrated with a Chord Qutest DAC. But to if I were to get a March amp, then its working out if I replace the integrated for an analogue Pre, or replace the integrated and the Qutest for possibly the ADI-2 and simplify the chain.

I use the ADI into the March p252 balanced. Works great, my only gripe is with the RME remote control, which is a generic toy.

Matt_Photo

I use the ADI into the March p252 balanced. Works great, my only gripe is with the RME remote control, which is a generic toy.
Thanks for the input. I really think I might get the Purifi P452 amp and ADI combo and then after some listening of the two systems probably sell off the Qutest and Cyrus kit.

Top Bottom