• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier selection for desk speakers

RHO

Major Contributor
I’m building these speakers and want to put them on my work-desk. So they will be used for near-field listening (planning on correcting with a miniDSP Flex digital).
I already have a passive subwoofer which I can power with a Hypex FA252. (the FA252 is built into a custom enclosure: I bought it like this)

I have some amplifiers on my short-list but I’m not sure what the best option would be in my situation.
Questions I have:
Would the MPA-S250NC and Ncore be too much power for my application? This would mean I have very little range on any volume control and will most likely operate in the least favorable range of an analog pot or give up quite a bit on S/N from the amp. What effect would this have if I use a miniDSP Flex digital as a pre-amp?
I guess the MPA-S125NC and Topping PA5 are comparable in power delivery. Would they suffice? The speakers are far from highly efficient.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5W with 84dB speakers give you 90dBSPL at a distance of let’s say 5feet. Is this plenty loud for a work desk? If yes, than the 125W amps more than suffice. And ca 100W drive the speakers to their design limit of ca 105dB at which point most people start running for cover let alone such a speaker performs at nice THD levels.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Yeah, looking at it like that it seems the MPA-S125NC or PA5 would be plenty powerful enough.
The speaker drivers are known for the low THD numbers. But I don;t think I will ever crank them up to 105dB.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I was just reading some user experiences in the PA5 review topic and am a bit worried about the longevity of this amplifier.
I would expect the MPA-125NC to be more reliable. The disadvantage of that amp is the size. Maybe I can put it under my desk rather than on the desk.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The disadvantage of that amp is the size
Why don't you get this thing?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/
I'm really happy with the one I got. Should have WAY more power than a desktop setup needs, but just about the size of a plastic flask like you stuff down your pants to sneak alcohol into concerts ;) AND it's pretty inexpensive. By the way, I don't know if there's a work firewall issue, but I can't open your SB Acoustics link.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Why don't you get this thing?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/
I'm really happy with the one I got. Should have WAY more power than a desktop setup needs, but just about the size of a plastic flask like you stuff down your pants to sneak alcohol into concerts ;) AND it's pretty inexpensive. By the way, I don't know if there's a work firewall issue, but I can't open your SB Acoustics link.
Because it has only SE inputs and performance seems not as good as the Hypex (Audiophonics) and Topping products.
Also, I don't know if it's available in Europe.

hyperknot

I'm in a similar quest, I've just disregarded the Topping based on reliability problems. Does anyone know if the Audiophonics nCore 125 and 250 ones are considerer reliable?
Also, do they support balanced input common mode rejection? The Topping does not.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if the Audiophonics nCore 125 and 250 ones are considerer reliable?
Hypex products are considered very reliable in general.
Also, do they support balanced input common mode rejection? The Topping does not.
Good question. Where did you find that the Topping does not support it?

Top Bottom