• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier "sample test reviews" using Paul's Multitone Analyzer software

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Thank you I did, but got a very very powerful amplifier suddenly! (joke) ;).

NC252MP_MTA_thdpower.png

In the top right corner box there is a correct max. power of some 282W, however the plot says 1300W ...
Log scale on X-axis for watts should be used, scale setting check box does not do it. But Paul, I am not pushing on you, for DIY purposes the SW is OK, for semi-professional I am continuing in REW use.

NC252MP_MTA_thdpower2.png

[V] sweep seems to have X-axis calibrated in Vpeak rather than Vrms.
MTA_V_sweep.png

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Cause and effect is pretty clear from those, thanks Pavel! Jives with the earlier plots that imply it is mostly distortion, and I agree looks like supply drop at low frequencies.
More on the subject Don, as it is interesting, at least to me. Level step is now 0.4dB, and THD, N and THD+N plots vs. power posted. As one can see, it is useful to have them separated, because THD+N (SINAD) vs. power plots sometimes do confuse the real issue. I will also post these findings into my NC252MP thread.

NC252MP THD 4freq vs. power.png

NC252MP N 4freq vs. power.png

NC252MP THDN 4freq vs. power.png

NC252MP 1kHz clipping.png

NC252MP 20Hz clipping.png

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
More on the subject Don, as it is interesting, at least to me. Level step is now 0.4dB, and THD, N and THD+N plots vs. power posted. As one can see, it is useful to have them separated, because THD+N (SINAD) vs. power plots sometimes do confuse the real issue. I will also post these findings into my NC252MP thread.

View attachment 263286

View attachment 263287

View attachment 263288

View attachment 263289

View attachment 263290

Yes, interesting indeed. My observations, which I have no doubt you have already made:
  • THD is nearly flat from a few watts up to clipping, and roughly equal to the noise around 30 W. Classic behavior would have THD falling at lower power, but for these curves I see dBr, so assume referenced to the power level on the x-axis and not full power?
  • Noise is relatively independent of frequency, but THD is higher at lower frequency, especially at 10 W and above. Supports that performance is limited by THD and not noise more so at lower frequency. I suspect the dip around 130 W in the 5 kHz curve is due to a happy coupling or resonance cancelling the distortion.
  • 1 kHz and 200 Hz are pretty close until >100 W or so, then 200 Hz rises closer to the 22 Hz curve. That seems to explain the rise ("hump") in distortion below 800 Hz seen before.
  • By eye, the 20 Hz clipping waveform appears more asymmetrical than the 1 kHz clipping waveform, with a bit more flattening or drooping of the peak past that first little corner at the bottom of the waveform, and is worse on the bottom. That would seem to support your conclusion that the power supply is giving up and sagging.
    • If so, a longer-term test at higher frequency might also show dropping power/increasing distortion over time.
    • A two-tone test using 20 Hz and 1 kHz might be interesting, or even a 100 Hz square wave, but probably not show anything more useful.
Really cool stuff, thank you very much for digging more into this!

Last edited:
Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Noise is relatively independent of frequency, but THD is higher at lower frequency, especially at 10 W and above. Supports that performance is limited by THD and not noise more so at lower frequency. I suspect the dip around 130 W in the 5 kHz curve is due to a happy coupling or resonance cancelling the distortion.
Class D behaviour is different from Class A or Class AB, we (probably both of us) are more used to live with linear amplifiers and test them. NCore has quite complicated feedback loop too handle class D issues like dead time etc., please see here and here. It might be interesting to make more detailed investigation of Purifi as well.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Class D behaviour is different from Class A or Class AB, we (probably both of us) are more used to live with linear amplifiers and test them. NCore has quite complicated feedback loop too handle class D issues like dead time etc., please see here and here. It might be interesting to make more detailed investigation of Purifi as well.
Agreed, my last class D design (for RF) was many years ago, and audio before that, so I've not kept up. Thanks for the links, more required reading, when I have some spare time. :)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you I did, but got a very very powerful amplifier suddenly! (joke) ;).

View attachment 263284

In the top right corner box there is a correct max. power of some 282W, however the plot says 1300W ...
Log scale on X-axis for watts should be used, scale setting check box does not do it. But Paul, I am not pushing on you, for DIY purposes the SW is OK, for semi-professional I am continuing in REW use.

View attachment 263299

[V] sweep seems to have X-axis calibrated in Vpeak rather than Vrms.
View attachment 263302

An honest mistake :) The X axis was using the generator level instead of the input. Will be fixed in the next beta version:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...loopback-analyzer-software.27844/post-1479545

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
An honest mistake :) The X axis was using the generator level instead of the input. Will be fixed in the next beta version:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...loopback-analyzer-software.27844/post-1479545
Paul, it is much better, however still we have some minor issues.

1. Below 1W, the X-axis power scale does not show decimal point values, it is rounded and truncated to 0, 1.
2. I had to change load input in the chart from 4ohm to 2ohm to get proper power value with 4ohm load. It seems that the SW shows half the actual power. But the THD and TD+N readings are correct - important.

PM-AB2 THD and TD+N vs. power at 1kHz-4ohm.png

REW plot:
PM-AB2 THD and TD+N vs. power at 1kHz-4ohm REW.png

PM-AB2 CCIF IMD 18.5+19.5kHz vs. power into 4ohm.png

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Agreed, my last class D design (for RF) was many years ago, and audio before that, so I've not kept up. Thanks for the links, more required reading, when I have some spare time. :)

The same set (THD+N, THD, N vs. power) measured with a linear class AB amplifier, MOSFET output stage with error correction. The plots are more predictable and clipping behaviour is less violent than in case of the class D amp.

PM-AB2 THD+N vs. power into 4ohm at 22Hz, 50Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz and 1kHz.png

PM-AB2 THD vs. power into 4ohm at 22Hz, 50Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz and 1kHz.png

PM-AB2 N vs. power into 4ohm at 22Hz, 50Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz and 1kHz.png

Top Bottom