• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier running off a power bank?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to do some ground plane measurements of some speakers I have, I live on top of a hypermarket so the parking lot Sunday morning would be perfect for that.

However delivering power to even a handheld class D amplifier seems like mission impossible without buying an external generator. I was wondering if there are amplifiers out there (to deliver 1 to 5 W of power only) that i can use with a mobile phone power bank?

There are really no requirements other than a decently behaving frequency response vs impedance. In other words it just has to work and not pollute the measurements much.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a Raspberry Pi amp HAT or an add-on for Arduino MKR ZERO. These ones output 7 W @ 1 kHz into 4 ohms.

This is fantastic! Exactly what i need! I wish somewhere in the specifications there were a frequency response curve at different impedances. you know just for ease of mind.

Thank you for sharing!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How about a car stereo amplifier or an amp that can run from 12V?

With a 5V power supply and a bridge amplifier you can get a theoretical maximum of 10V peak-to-peak = about 3.5V RMS.

Power can be calculated as Voltage squared / Resistance so that's about 1.5W into 8 Ohms and about 3W into 4 Ohms.

(High power car stereo amplifiers have a built-in voltage-boosting DC-DC converter.)

Top Bottom