• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Power: How much do you really need and your system’s dynamic range.

Hapo

...if nothing else I have learned here that my amplifier is not overpowered although the power rating of my speakers might indicate that to be the case...

...I find it exquisitely ironic that well recorded classical music would require more amplification than heavy metal music...

mdunjic

During my chat with the The Daily HiFi guys this past Monday, the topic of higher sensitivity speakers having more dynamic range came up. I gave my condensed spiel about why I think it isn't the speakers but rather the system as a whole that when integrating higher sensitivity speakers that provide more dynamics.

In this video I address that a little bit more but with a focus on how to obtain a realistic number for how much amplifier power you need using three factors:
1) Speaker sensitivity
2) Distance from MLP to speaker
3) Dynamic range of the content you listen to

The third is key but never discussed when the topic of "how much power do I need" comes up on the forums. So, I spend some time on that aspect. If you're wanting to kill about 20 minutes listening to audio chat, I have provided the link below.

--------------------------------

To address a comment I already had from @MZKM:
* doubling of speakers = +3dB
* doubling of power = +3dB
* net gain of adding a speaker & its own amp channel = +6dB (theoretical)
* speaker in a room vs anechoic = +3-6dB (+3dB is the norm above the transition frequency)

I tested the +6dB doubling of speakers/power by simply using a single powered speaker and measured the FR via RTA. Then I connected the other powered speaker and measured the response. I got about +5dB from about 300Hz+. In the HF+ I noticed less overall gain, which I believe aligns with what Toole discusses in his book regarding the point where a speaker becomes more directional. In the LF the gain was anywhere from +3 to +6dB.

I created a poll on AVSforum a year or two ago asking what the listening distance is for people from the MLP to the speakers. The poll showed 3-4m average listening distance.

I created a poll on my YT channel and my FB group asking who pays attention to the mfg spec for "recommended power". Over 80% said they pay it no mind.

Links used:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/
https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power
https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators#amp_power_required
Nice video!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice video!
I listen at 11 feet.

I recommend measuring 2.83 volts using a 1kHz 0 dBFS (maximum signal) with two speakers.
With the Salon2s this meant that 2 watts (since these are 4 Ohm speakers). Take note of the volume level on your processors.
The Salon2s are 87 dB and as it turns out 2 speakers with room gain came to 87 dB.

Processors with dB scale make it easy to calculate the maximum power that can be used at every volume level.
Now you can see what the maximum power possible with your content at your listening levels.

-Rich

Last edited:

mdunjic

I listen at 11 feet.

I recommend measuring 2.83 volts using a 1kHz 0 dBFS (maximum signal) with two speakers.
With the Salon2s this meant that 2 watts (since these are 4 Ohm speakers). Take note of the volume level on your processors.
The Salon2s are 87 dB and as it turns out 2 speakers with room gain came to 87 dB.

Processors with dB scale make it easy to calculate the maximum power that can be used at every volume level.
Now you can see what the maximum power possible with your content at your listening levels.

-Rich
Back of the envelope calc for me (for the wildest dreams scenario) … 100% of my Roon library is WAV, AIIF and FLAC and Roon “dynamic range” indicator is max 15LU (i.e. Loudness Units, i.e. dBs) across all digital files … so my bi-amping combination of Neat Acoustics Motive 1 speakers (V1 is bi-ampable, with actual 83 dBm in room sensitivity, worse than 87 dbm as declared in manufacturer specs), using Audiophonics Hypex nc502mp (midrange + tweeter drivers) + 2 x nc500mp (for bass drivers) gives me virtually almost perfect linearity it seems for the absolutely most demanding listening hehe

Attachments

• CB88D394-1D2E-4B14-87F5-4206BB1B3F0D.jpeg
    CB88D394-1D2E-4B14-87F5-4206BB1B3F0D.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 50
  • A3F5456C-19A2-4C48-AFC9-0BCEA040AD60.jpeg
    A3F5456C-19A2-4C48-AFC9-0BCEA040AD60.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Top Bottom