• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier peak power, class D vs class A/B

312elements

does the peek power effect the dynamics if e.g.

Class A/B, Max power 300w, Peek power 500w
Class D, Max power 500w, Peek power 500w

If max power is the same, would there be a difference in dynamics?
This seems like a great question. Does anyone have an answer?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I am going to try, however it may not be as simple as I am trying to explain, but my basic idea says:

** For an amplifier with Max: 300w and Peak:300w

If amp Max is 300W, and amp is running at 75W then it has another 225w in reserve (i.e., approx 6 db) for any additional dynamics.
If amp Max is 300W, and amp is running at 150W then it has another 150w in reserve (i.e., approx 3 db) for any additional dynamics.
If amp Max is 300W, and amp is running at 300W then it has nothing in reserve for any additional dynamics.

* I won't be surprised if someone expert here respond to it saying its not any or completely true.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Class of amplifier does not matter for this.

What matters is the amount of power you are using to drive the speakers, not the max continuous and peak power rating of the amps. Then you have to decide how long your "dynamics" last and at what level. A single, short (say <20 ms since that's the IHF burst test) burst of 500 W may be fine for the 300 W continuous rated amp. If you have a series of peaks greater than 300 W, then the power supply may sag due to the nearly-constant higher power demand, and the amp will clip (sound worse). Finally, other things than continuous and peak power ratings may determine the sound of the amplifier, so looking at only those two parameters is likely to be misleading.

Handwaving answer:
  • If you are never using more than 300 W there will be no difference.
  • If the peaks are short enough, infrequent enough, and less than 500 W, there will be no difference.
  • If you consistently exceed 300 W for "long" periods of time then the amp rated for 500 W continuous power is likely to sound better.
You can look at an online power calculator to estimate your power needs, e.g. http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

HTH - Don

Top Bottom