• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amplifier output humm is it normal what is it

boomtheroom

HI
Just noticed A buzzing noise coming from my left speaker (not audible a foot or more away but now heard can never be unheard) its a perreaux r200i intergrated
is this normal to hear from an amp? volume doesn't effect it at all and have changed inputs.. unplugged everything so it just the amp and the speakers attached and have also
switched speakers and cables around. so definitely an amp issue

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you are XLR try the RCA j had the same problem with my amp and it had a problem on the XLR circuit.

restorer-john

certainly know the Perreaux

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If only one channel exhibits the issue, yeah probably an amp issue. What particularly couldn't tell you, that sounds like it might be best to be put on a technician's bench for testing. If the amp is new/within warranty, then I'd contact the manufacturer for help. Not familiar with Perreaux myself, so not sure what expectations might be.

radix

Major Contributor
All amps hum to some extent, but good ones should not be audible. My benchmark AHB2 is dead silent.

If it just started and you don't have any cable problems, it could be a component in the amp is wearing out. An asymmetric hum is also likely an indicator its the amp.

If you have a decent repair place, they might be able to diagnose and fix it.

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

All amps hum to some extent, but good ones should not be audible. My benchmark AHB2 is dead silent.

If it just started and you don't have any cable problems, it could be a component in the amp is wearing out. An asymmetric hum is also likely an indicator its the amp.

If you have a decent repair place, they might be able to diagnose and fix it.
yah or maybe its time i get a ahb2

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

If only one channel exhibits the issue, yeah probably an amp issue. What particularly couldn't tell you, that sounds like it might be best to be put on a technician's bench for testing. If the amp is new/within warranty, then I'd contact the manufacturer for help. Not familiar with Perreaux myself, so not sure what expectations might be.
Nah its 10 years old so maybe on its last legs....will totally have to die tho before the wife will allow a new one i reckon

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
nah not on xlr.. but does it with noting hooked up to the amp also , so not a input issue
Are you sure that the cables are shielded and that they do not touch each other?

ErVikingo

Have you added any dimmers to house recently? LED’s?

thecheapseats

assuming it's not a high-pitched squealing xformer... if the amp chassis itself is making a hum, i.e., not thru the speakers at all - but from the physical chassis itself - have you tried phisically pressing on the external cabinet and bottom of the amp chassis in various places while it's powered-up - to see if it's a physical sympathetic vibration of the amp's case (maybe originating from the amp's xformer) - due to a loose mounting bolt, screw, or panel?...

had an older amp come back from a service repair which did this several years ago... tightened a few external case screws and the sound was gone...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah its 10 years old so maybe on its last legs....will totally have to die tho before the wife will allow a new one i reckon
Not a great plan, but if all you get with your marriage....oh welll

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

assuming it's not a high-pitched squealing xformer... if the amp chassis itself is making a hum, i.e., not thru the speakers at all - but from the physical chassis itself - have you tried phisically pressing on the external cabinet and bottom of the amp chassis in various places while it's powered-up - to see if it's a physical sympathetic vibration of the amp's case (maybe originating from the amp's xformer) - due to a loose mounting bolt, screw, or panel?...

had an older amp come back from a service repair which did this several years ago... tightened a few external case screws and the sound was gone...
noise is coming from speakers not the amplifier

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP already did that.
It is safe to say something in the amp is (getting) defective, most likely a regulator or cap.
That is... if it wasn't there in the past but as this model is from around 2003 and the owner has had it for quite some time it stands to reason the hum in one channel would have been heard earlier.

Maybe the amp needs servicing (a bit soon though) and may well be worth it still.

Verig

OP already did that.
It is safe to say something in the amp is (getting) defective, most likely a regulator or cap.
I had a blown ground resistor which made some nasty sound. But doesn't matter, I agree, it needs to be serviced anyway.

Top Bottom