• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Passive Subs (B&W CT series vs NAD amp)

nicolajhl

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me shed some light on this subject.

I currently own two B&W CTSW15 subs that I love in my Home Theater. But I only own a single B&W SA1000 which means I can't do a "real" dual subwoofer setup as the SA1000 sums both inputs on the amp side. So I would have to buy another SA1000 to benefit from my AVR X4700's dual subwoofer outputs and the ability to calibrate both subs individually.

Now, the question is whether or not I could benefit from using a different Amp solution for the setup, since all the processing and low pass filtering is happening in the receiver anyway, I thought I might as well get a better amp for a better result. The SA1000 is hard to come by atm as they have released a new version, but the new version is A LOT more expensive without any real benefits afaik. Therefore I am considering getting two NAD C298 to power the subs instead of the SA1000. The NAD amps can output 620w in mono configurations, so I would think they are more than capable powerwise to drive the subs. But I am in doubt if there is anything wrong with using a bridged amp on the subwoofers....?

What do you think? Is there any problems in switching to a more traditional power amp in this type of setup? Should I just stick to the SA1000 and try to find another one used (really hard to come by) or what would be the move? I am able to get a good deal on the NAD C298 so the cost is the same for me whether I am choosing to go with two SA1000 or two NAD C298.

Tips and opinions appreciated!

Tomtom

If you're still interested, Best Buy currently has the B&W CT series SA1000 on sale for $400 (list $2,000)

Top Bottom