• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for bookshelf speakers - rookie trouble

totto

I have very limited knowledge about hifi, and I must admit that as of now I don't understand much of the charts except maybe the frequency response. I want to try a couple of bookshelf speakers the following year just for fun, and potentially some headphones. Good sound is nice to have / fun hobby. I must admit I enjoy a V-shaped sound, and clarity. That's how I end up using the equalizer at least, with trial and error. I listen to most types of music, but a lot of metal, electronic.

At this moment I'm looking for an amp solution for bookshelf stereo (with potential for a sub).
And some way to connect headphones.
Optical input (from TV).
Would be nice with USB connection, but not a must.

I don't know if the suggested amps (under) would be able to power medium-large bookshelf speakers and a sub, or if they have a way to connect headphones (aux?).
My budget is between from 400-1200usd depending on value.

The ones I have come over that seem like good choices are:
- Yamaha R-N803
- Yamaha WXA-50
- Dynavoice CA802BT (Loxjie A30 duplicate)
- Denon AVR-X3700H AVR (I'm not sure if I would want to try several channels further down the line. Stereo is my main focus at the time. But if these are also good for music, maybe it doesn't hurt to have the capability. I don't know how they would compare to a dedicated stereo amp).

Any suggestions or clarifications would be appreciated!
I don't think I would buy any unit that hasn't been tested here yet. I like the security.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the WXA-50 with bookshelves in a study (near/mid listening) and it is very good for that. For a sub, it can't do a proper sub/sat crossover but you can tailor the response for a bookshelf (rolls off sub bass, boosts bass for three assumes sizes of speakers) while using a full range on the pre-outs for a sub (which you will need to use the in-built low pass for). It doesn't have a USB input though and there is no volume indication on the unit. Headphone use is with bluetooth only.

OP
T

totto

Thank you for the suggestion. The WXA-50 seems like a really nice unit. I'm a bit worried that it will not be able to drive enough. Same goes for Loxjie A30, although I'm not sure whom of WXA-50 or Loxjie A30 deals most power.
The Yamaha R-N803 seemed like a nice choice a step up. But I found a very concerning review online (not that I fully trust their judgement but), that complained that there was a lack of coherence to the sound, not entirely sure what they mean by that, but that seems like a dealbreaker for me, any clarification on that maybe from owners would be greatly appreciated:

review complaints:

:
"Not accomplished with rhythm or timing...
Given this is a spare and spacious recording featuring just voice and guitar, though, there’s a slightly concerning lack of coherence to the sound – rather than one man singing and playing, there’s the suggestion of two performers doing their thing quite independently...
Our forebodings regarding the Yamaha’s way with timing are given greater expression when we switch to a 24-bit/192kHz file of Van Morrison’s And It Stoned Me....
But there’s a shortage of unity to the presentation – again, the sound comprises distinct elements but not a great enough sense of a band as a single entity. Tying together musical threads to form a cogent whole is not a strength here.
Switching to physical inputs only compounds the impression of a machine well able to deal with the nuance of a single instrument or the character of a singer but not adept at marrying them together."

:
"Can feel a little lacking in outright power.
Poor headphone amp."

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Thank you for the suggestion. The WXA-50 seems like a really nice unit. I'm a bit worried that it will not be able to drive enough. Same goes for Loxjie A30, although I'm not sure whom of WXA-50 or Loxjie A30 deals most power.
The Yamaha R-N803 seemed like a nice choice a step up. But I found a very concerning review online (not that I fully trust their judgement but), that complained that there was a lack of coherence to the sound, not entirely sure what they mean by that, but that seems like a dealbreaker for me, any clarification on that maybe from owners would be greatly appreciated:

review complaints:

"Not accomplished with rhythm or timing...
Given this is a spare and spacious recording featuring just voice and guitar, though, there’s a slightly concerning lack of coherence to the sound – rather than one man singing and playing, there’s the suggestion of two performers doing their thing quite independently...
Our forebodings regarding the Yamaha’s way with timing are given greater expression when we switch to a 24-bit/192kHz file of Van Morrison’s And It Stoned Me....
But there’s a shortage of unity to the presentation – again, the sound comprises distinct elements but not a great enough sense of a band as a single entity. Tying together musical threads to form a cogent whole is not a strength here.
Switching to physical inputs only compounds the impression of a machine well able to deal with the nuance of a single instrument or the character of a singer but not adept at marrying them together."

"Can feel a little lacking in outright power.
Poor headphone amp."
You will need to remove the ":" character from the link URL.

Jake Cushing

I can vouch for the Yamaha RN803. It's a lovely amp (best in pure-direct mode) with tuner, phono amp, tons of streaming. And looks timeless in silver.

Other suggestion: Don't read WhatHiFi!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Other suggestion: Don't read WhatHiFi!
Those who have such golden ears.

..... and such an ability to imagine.

Soon Karl flies in to them ..

Edit:
Totto: If you want something to do and like to do carpentry, DIY subwoffer. :)

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-10_08-21-04 (1).png
    shot_2021-12-10_08-21-04 (1).png
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
  • shot_2021-12-10_08-20-44 (1).png
    shot_2021-12-10_08-20-44 (1).png
    158.8 KB · Views: 66
  • shot_2021-12-10_08-25-54 (1).png
    shot_2021-12-10_08-25-54 (1).png
    360.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Yamaha AS501, AS701 and AS801 all fit the bill. The 501 is slightly less powerful (2x85 watt rms into 8 Ohm instead of 2x100 watts) than the other two, but often quite a lot cheaper (I bought one for my daughter). The 701 has optical and coaxial inputs, the 801 adds usb. They all have a subwoofer output, plus tone, balance and loudness countrol and MM input. In short, they are classic proven designs that measure well and have been updated with digital inputs. They are similar to the basic amplifier part of the RN803 that measured so well (apart from its additional modern facilities that measured not quite so well). So if you want a quite hassle free set of modern things like dsp room eq, go for the RN803. If you want to save money and/or do not need the dsp etc, go for one of the ASx01 models. If you want to get the best out of a multi sub system and are happy to spend some time optimizing it, go for the cheaper ASx01 series and use the Multi Sub Optimizer software (plus an external hardware dsp unit). See here for a tutorial:

Robert C

Agreed with the Yamaha recommendations above. I have the RN803 and really enjoy its "smart" functions. I can control the whole thing from my phone/tablet!

If you don't need the network features, get the most powerful ASx01 model you can afford.

Oh, and don't read What hi-fi.

DanielT

Major Contributor
OT:
A little about the origins of Yamaha Hifi.Swedish EE from a company called Sonab was involved in starting Yamaha's Hifi department:

Yamaha did not manufacture, develop or sell hi-fi at that time. Sonab entered into an agreement with Yamaha to build a development department and manufacture of hifi in Japan. Clas-Göran Wanning was the person who designed the electronics in Sonab. He was stationed in Japan and jointly built Yamaha as a manufacturing company of hifi for Sonab. So, Sonab was the first hi-fi product that Yamaha made. Lars Lallerstedt was responsible for industrial design. When Sonab withdrew from hi-fi, Yamaha had to take over laboratories and development department and Yamaha began to develop, manufacture, market and sell hi-fi products under its own brand.

I posted a picture of a vintage Sonab (nop, nothing I recommend you buy totto, if you do not like tinkering with old electronics). :)

Attachments

• Sonab-R2000-64917.jpeg
    Sonab-R2000-64917.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OP
T

totto

Thank you for the replies! And happy holidays.

I jumped a sale for Yamaha A-S301 at 250$. But I think I'm going to leave it unopened and see if any of the other Yamaha units above goes on sale in January; which I doubt, seeing that many of the Yamahas are already sold out.
Anyone know how it compares to the Yamaha WXA-50 in terms of power? I tried to look at the numbers but they were a bit confusing. Hopefully the A-S301 will be enough to try some decent bookshelf speakers (please correct me if it is not, I can return the unit).

Some more rambling:
Powering an active speaker with an amp, could it make it sound better? I own a pair of active JBL LSR305. I find LSR305 sounds less interesting than my Onyx 5 (portable speaker); before and after equalizing. I'm not sure if that is a sin. With EQ I mostly end up with V-shape, I didn't know this type of EQ had a name until recently. Accidental that I arrived at it.
I've been watching some more of Amirs great youtube videos. He points to studies showing humans have a preference for flat frequency response. If I'm not mistaken the LSR305 are supposed to be flat, and I would think maybe the Onyx 5 not so much? I'm not sure why I have a preference for the Onyx 5 sound (as for today).

DanielT: My interest in small-scale carpeting and audio has increased the last year, so this might be a fun project!. I guess I don't have amp power for this at the moment though :/

Willem: That software looks interesting, could come in handy with time!

I've been reading a little, and now other than the Yamaha range (Loxjie and denon are out of the picture), I would be interested in the Nord purifi amplifiers, and a good chinese Dac combo; as they seem to score quite well on ASR. This will potentially have to be a future setup though when I know the technicalities better and have more experience. Yamaha seems like the safest and best choice for me as of now.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

If you have the opportunity, go to Strömstad, buy some alcohol and you can take the opportunity to buy some Hifi stuff from me. Used but I guarantee it works.If you are interested, send a PM

Have a good time and good luck with everything!

General info, otherwise it seems too strange. Norwegians love to go to Sweden and buy cheap (very expensive but compared to Norway cheaper) alcohol.

OP
T

totto

Hehe, thanks for the invite
Unfortunately, I'm quite far away from Strömstad and have never been to Sweden to buy cheap alcohol :p

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hehe, thanks for the invite
Unfortunately, I'm quite far away from Strömstad and have never been to Sweden to buy cheap alcohol :p
Of course packed with people who are going to buy their Christmas drink. Liquor store "Systembolaget". Only state-controlled sales of alcohol in Sweden because in Sweden adults are considered to be children.o_O
(picture from the middle of Sweden where I am now, not Strömstad.)

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_122258.jpg
    IMG_20211223_122258.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom