• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier distortion measurement depends on load resistor?

tcpip

I wanted to know what kind of load Amir and others put when measuring amplifier distortion? Basically, you'll need to connect your audio analyser input or other ADC input in parallel to a high-wattage load, so that the amp can work at high volumes -- I'm referring to that dummy load. I was reading over at diyaudio, on a thread where they're discussing how to do really high-resolution distortion measurement, that the type of the dummy load resistor has quite an impact on the HD values you get, when the rest of your chain is able to measure -130dB or thereabouts. They are talking about something called thick film resistors as being the only resistors which give very low distortion.

What are your experiences?

egellings

Major Contributor
The key would be to keep the resistor cool with good heatsinking or maybe liquid immersion. Also, use the shortest signal exposure time needed to capture the test results.

OP
T

tcpip

Thanks, this link was very useful -- it confirms that the type of resistor is important for such measurements.

Top Bottom