• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier/DAC for Heco Aurora 700 speakers

ND1

Hello everyone!

I'm building my first setup and recently bought Heco Aurora 700 speakers and thinking about amplifier/DAC stack. Audio source - PC.
So here is my choices, what I'm able to find in my small (Estonia) market:

Yamaha A-S701, No USB input, 650 Eur.
Yamaha A-S801, USB, 840 Eur.
Rotel RB-1552MKII, additional DAC is needed. 850 Eur + 100-300 Eur.
Nad C368, No USB input. 1000 Eur + 100-300 Eur.

The cheapest and simplest option for me is Yamaha A-S801. But if I understand correctly, Heco 700 will not have all possible sound and bass details with that integrated amplifier. Rotel is more expensive option + I need to buy some DAC (with preamp in one box) for it (100-300 Euros budget).
Nad at least has optical input, but it's also expensive.

So my question is, do I need to save money for Rotel + Preamp-DAC (possible the best price-quality ratio), or stick with Yamaha?
And what DAC in that price range will be enough for Rotel + Heco setup?

Thanks!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not get a Hypex or Purify amp and a decently cheap Topping DAC?

For instance:

From your list I would probably go with the NAD. Incidentally it used Hypex modules, so should deliver solid performance. It’s not even bad value if you see that the DAC + amp I linked is also 800 euro’s already.

Last edited:
OP
N

ND1

It’s not even bad value if you see that the DAC + amp I linked is also 800 euro’s already.
So, in terms of all possible quality for money - which setup will win? Your combo is 730 Eur, Rotel + some DAC will be ~1150, Nad - 1300.
Will I even hear some difference?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, in terms of all possible quality for money - which setup will win? Your combo is 730 Eur, Rotel + some DAC will be ~1150, Nad - 1300.
They are quite different animals. The Rotel and amp I linked are power amps, the NAD is integrated. It will have a more advanced feature set. You’ll need to see if you need that. You don’t need to buy an extension module. A cheap USB to spdif box will do just fine (about €50). Possibly the c338 would also offer enough power.
Will I even hear some difference?
Probably not.

Sine your speakers are quite efficient, you could also have a look at Topping PA5.

Last edited:
Reactions: ND1

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks wise the D50 is a better match to the PA5. Also available as a set.

Reactions: ND1
Top Bottom