• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplified Monitoring Speaker Under 1000 € (pair)

nicolasG

Hello,

After 15 years of use, i'm looking to replace my Yamaha Hs50m, which not enough bass for my work (electronic music).
I would like to have your opinion, this forum seems serious.

The monitors will be near the back wall and in front of the desk, listen about 1 meter away (3ft).

I like the sound of the HS8 ( impulse reponse, balance, precision) but i tkink it is not the best choice compared to the placement.

I selected a few models, witch can match me :

- Kali in-5 or 8 (from the video review, the sound seems to me to approach the yamaha, the Kali speakers are not available to listen to in stores around my home)
- Focal Alpha 65 evo (seems to me less precise than the yamaha, bass resonances, hights not convincing)
- Adam A7X (it was my first choice, some demos gave me doubts)

What do you think would be the best choice?

thanx...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may want to check out @sweetchaos' thread.

dfuller

Major Contributor
- Kali in-5 or 8
Both solid options! Relatively narrow dispersion so somewhat more precise placement in the stereo field.
Focal Alpha 65 evo
Generally very good, would recommend if you want a speaker with a wider soundstage. If you can increase your budget slightly, the Shape 65s would also be worth a look.

Skip them. Despite their price, they're notably inferior to the other options you mentioned.

OP
N

nicolasG

Generally very good, would recommend if you want a speaker with a wider soundstage. If you can increase your budget slightly, the Shape 65s would also be worth a look.
On a review the bass values do not correspond to the manufacturer data. audiofanzine

dfuller

Major Contributor
On a review the bass values do not correspond to the manufacturer data. audiofanzine
Yes; The bass rolls off a bit higher than the manufacturer measurements state. I owned a pair for a while. Other than relatively lacking bass response (which can be fixed later by adding a subwoofer), they sound generally excellent.

OP
N

nicolasG

I think I will choose the kali in-5 or 8.

Which one has the best impulse response and the best frequency balance ?

OP
N

nicolasG

In europe, Genelec 8030C are also under 1000€ (pair)...

OP
N

nicolasG

After trying the in-8 for a month, I switched to the Neumann Kh120. Kali lacked clarity and was too boomy in my room.

OP
N

nicolasG

It's the Kali In-8 v2.

I found them tiring to listen, their only quality is the stereophonic image.
I think they are more suitable for hifi listening at least 2 meters away, in a very large room at least 50 m². I had near-field listening at 1 meter in a 30m² room.
I chose the Neumann for their impulse response, and their tsd measurements, I think these measurements are more important than just the spectral response and you can hear it right away on the kh120

hemiutut

Hello,

After 15 years of use, i'm looking to replace my Yamaha Hs50m, which not enough bass for my work (electronic music).
I would like to have your opinion, this forum seems serious.

The monitors will be near the back wall and in front of the desk, listen about 1 meter away (3ft).

I like the sound of the HS8 ( impulse reponse, balance, precision) but i tkink it is not the best choice compared to the placement.

I selected a few models, witch can match me :

- Kali in-5 or 8 (from the video review, the sound seems to me to approach the yamaha, the Kali speakers are not available to listen to in stores around my home)
- Focal Alpha 65 evo (seems to me less precise than the yamaha, bass resonances, hights not convincing)
- Adam A7X (it was my first choice, some demos gave me doubts)

What do you think would be the best choice?

thanx...
I see that you finally got the Neumann Kh120s
Do you have REW measurements?
Can you put the .mdat file ?

Another very good recommendation is the Mackie MR824

Written with translator

Greetings

Last edited:
Top Bottom