• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for the Salon 2?

rickler

I've been searching around, and haven't found a thread on this. Apologies if this was already covered before. Are there preferred amps that make the Revel Salon 2 "sing"? I've been considering a few, but generally looking to stay <$8000 ideally. The NAD M33 looked great until I saw the numbers which were less-than-stellar. I own a set of VTV Purifi monoblocks for another setup that I really like, but totally open to other power / integrated amps.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Less than stellar? I am not saying there are not better measuring amps but questioning whether there are audible deficiencies that you know of?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been searching around, and haven't found a thread on this. Apologies if this was already covered before. Are there preferred amps that make the Revel Salon 2 "sing"? I've been considering a few, but generally looking to stay <$8000 ideally. The NAD M33 looked great until I saw the numbers which were less-than-stellar. I own a set of VTV Purifi monoblocks for another setup that I really like, but totally open to other power / integrated amps.
I've used an Anthem STR stereo power amp for my pair of Revel 228bes, and also a pair of bridged AHB2s. Both excellent amps, could not tell the difference sonically. IMO high quality amps with low noise/distortion should sound the same; you just need plenty of power for the occasional need. The Anthem and the bridged AHBs both provide about 400/channel into 8ohms. The AHBs have the advantage of remarkably compact size/weight and the ability to serve as stereo amps if applicable. Another very affordable option would be 451 monoblocks from March Audio. I believe they provide about 225 watts/channel.

OP
R

rickler

Less than stellar? I am not saying there are not better measuring amps but questioning whether there are audible deficiencies that you know of?

I was hoping the M33 would measure closer to SOTA separates. I do have some decent equipment, but what I was hoping for was a list of amps that seem to complement the Salon 2 really well.

MrPeabody

I would consider myself very fortunate to own a pair of the superlative Salon 2s. But I wouldn't succumb to the belief that if you have an extra-special pair of speakers, you need to drive them with an extra-special amplifier. My personal opinion, shared with many other people who hang out at ASR, is that so long as the amplifier isn't defective, you probably don't need to worry about anything more than the power. Even though these are superlative speakers, the distortion they introduce will still be much greater than the distortion introduced by most any good amplifier that isn't defective (most likely). Except if the amplifier is driven into clipping. If you haven't noticed any issue with the amp you already own, there isn't likely a good reason to replace it, unless you just want to spend some money or want an amp that appeals to your other senses. I would be inclined to spend that cash on something else. Maybe some new A/V furniture. Maybe some nice CD box sets. Maybe a new rug. Maybe a beagle. Maybe a new recliner. Maybe another beagle.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was hoping the M33 would measure closer to SOTA separates. I do have some decent equipment, but what I was hoping for was a list of amps that seem to complement the Salon 2 really well.
And I am saying that they measure close enough that you should not be able to discern a difference audibly and that you should be considering factors beyond the numbers in making your choice. (I have used the M33 with Studio2 and also have the AHB2 monos and the C298s.)

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
If you decide on an integrated don't overlook the Anthem STR. Room correction built in, excellent bass management and 200 watts/channel.

steve59

Major Contributor
It really depends on what size room and what volumes you're looking for. The salon 2 are on my been there, done that list, but if 250/8-425/4 ohms would've been enough to get them to replicate Pearl Jam live in my room I might have kept them. I did email harman support asking what they recommended and my 2 word reply was '500 watts'. Take it or leave it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
AHB2 or Purifi.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Depending on how loud you listen one AHB2 would be great, I used one and never saw the clipping light. If you listen loud or want lots of headroom for peace of mind then its hard (impossible?) to do better than a pair of AHB2's in bridged mono.

For lower budget options a Purifi or Hypex amp will work great , sound identical and measure almost as well.

Wayne

OP
R

rickler

And I am saying that they measure close enough that you should not be able to discern a difference audibly and that you should be considering factors beyond the numbers in making your choice. (I have used the M33 with Studio2 and also have the AHB2 monos and the C298s.)
What were your thoughts on the M33 with the Studio 2? Would you expect the Salon 2 to perform similarly?

Top Bottom