• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for electrostats

Willem

Major Contributor
I have always used Quad electrostats as my main speakers. At first, they were the ESL57s, and these were a pretty nasty load for an amplifier, and did not take kindly to less than perfectly stable amplifiers. So I used them with Quad's own 303 power amplifier. More recently, my main speakers have been the modern and rather better 2805s. They are less efficient than the ELS57s, and when we also moved into a house with a rather larger living room, I replaced the 303 with a refurbished 2x140 watt Quad 606-2. The extra power was noticeable, particularly in more dynamic music. I am now wondering about getting even more power. The no-brainer option would be to get the Quad QMP monoblocks, for almost double the power. However, I am wondering if a more modern design like the Hypex NCore 400 would also work. Or is class D a non-starter with the stats?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The ESL 2805 does not dip below 4 Ohm so is a quite friendly amplifier load.
Any power amp that can drive 4 Ohm would be fine as long as it is rated below 400W in 4 Ohm.
Electrical phase also is not very problematic but does swing to -67 degrees in the bass.
It should be able to drive the Quads.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have heard the Quads with Hypex amps at a friend's apartment. Zero wrong with the sound.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use an IcePower based Wyred4Sound amp with Soundlabs. A friend uses Bel Canto class D for Soundlabs. I've heard class D on Acoustats. Were I purchasing an amp for electrostats currently my first choice would be something Hypex based. My Soundlabs are less efficient than the 2805s, but they've never sounded better than when on class D mainly due I think to the power and low output impedance.

I've owned various ESLs most of my life. ESL57s, and for a decade ESL63s along with a couple Acoustats and the current Soundlabs. I've heard a number of amps on them and class D seems the best.

Top Bottom