• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for Carmody's Amigas MT speakers?

cgguido

Hi all,

I should start by thanking you all for a very informative community. All very interesting, and refreshingly devoid of sommelier-type words when describing equipment!

I am in the process of building a pair of these: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga from a PartsExpress kit. These are 8Ohm, 83/84dB according to Carmody himself.

I plan on using a Raspberry PI as a streamer so no need for that feature to be necessarily integrated. I would rather a decent integrated, possibly with sub- and/or pre- outs. Can you guys make any suggestions in the $400-500 or less price range? I'm ok with factory refurbs but would prefer to avoid used market.

Another option is RaspberryPI+DAC hat, into a volume box such as a Schiit Sys, into a power amp. I think. But I don't know how I would ensure these would work together without blowing a speaker or a component...

I have been looking at, in no particular order, Cambridge Audio AXR100 refurb, Allo Volt+D, Emotiva TA-100, IOTAVX SA3 refurb, Yamaha A-S501 refurb...

If there is amore appropriate section for this post, please let me knowing I can repost there. Or feel free to move this post over.

Thank you for your advice.
G

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bookshelf reviewed here was ~84dB, so that seems accurate (probably just deeper bass for the tower.

84dB means it needs 2x the wattage compared to 87dB.

So, if using in a living room sized space, I would probably suggest at least 50W into 8ohm.

OP
C

cgguido

Thank you MZKM.

This would seem to rule out the Allo Volt+ D. Any particular amps you'd look at? or are the ones I mentioned known "lemons"?

If this is not the best place to ask, could you tell me where?

Thanks!
G

Top Bottom