• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for 2 LS50 Meta's and a SVS SB-2000 Pro? (1 meter apart PC-only Desktop set-up)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a large pic of the top view of the Leak Stereo 130 last week but that pic has disappeared from the web.
The Leak Stereo 130 and the Quad Vena II are the same amplifier PCB inside and the faceplates are different otherwise they are nearly identical units inside.
Leak stereo 130.jpg

vena-II-inside-image-11.jpg

jrampoldi

There was a large pic of the top view of the Leak Stereo 130 last week but that pic has disappeared from the web.
The Leak Stereo 130 and the Quad Vena II are the same amplifier PCB inside and the faceplates are different otherwise they are nearly identical units inside.
View attachment 109190
vena-II-inside-image-11.jpg

thanks, I did realize that, I should have made that clear in my post. I listed them both because one may be preferable due to looks, price, etc.

OP
S

Slyceth

Use the back buttons on the sub to cut it low pass at 50Hz. Arrange the speakers so that you are sitting in the middle, with both pointing at your ears or slightly behind it, same distance from you, in roughly a equilateral triangle. If possible keep them at ear height and away from back and side walls.
Alright they're positioned as far back as they go, at ears, at same height.
I did some more research and installed the RME Dac's drivers, which changed the dac in Windows to show up as "Analog 1+2", interesting. Not sure what sample rate to set it to though, if I go too high I stop hearing anything, and I'm not sure it changed anything?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Slyceth It seems to me that you are good to go. Enjoy!

OP
S

Slyceth

@Slyceth It seems to me that you are good to go. Enjoy!
No not yet, what about all the settings on the DAC itself? And what about the subwoofer not working unless I manually pull the power cable out and back in again?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No not yet, what about all the settings on the DAC itself? And what about the subwoofer not working unless I manually pull the power cable out and back in again?
The DAC settings you can enjoy reading the beautiful manual. There is a ton that it does, and the manual is very well written.
As for the subwoofer not working, maybe it is an auto-off feature? I don't know. I also suggest reading its manual.

OP
S

Slyceth

The DAC settings you can enjoy reading the beautiful manual. There is a ton that it does, and the manual is very well written.
As for the subwoofer not working, maybe it is an auto-off feature? I don't know. I also suggest reading its manual.
Well the big problem is that most (older) games do not have any sound.. It was fine before I installed the new drivers. Do I lose any quality having no drivers?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the big problem is that most (older) games do not have any sound.. It was fine before I installed the new drivers. Do I lose any quality having no drivers?
It should work just fine without drivers. Just check your Windows output device so that the RME is selected as default.

OP
S

Slyceth

It should work just fine without drivers. Just check your Windows output device so that the RME is selected as default.
It's set as default, but certain games don't have any sound at all when I have the sample rate above 192 kHz

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's set as default, but certain games don't have any sound at all when I have the sample rate above 192 kHz
I don't know, try changing the sample rate on Windows device properties to 24/192. If it doesn't work ask RME support on their forums.

OP
S

Slyceth

I don't know, try changing the sample rate on Windows device properties to 24/192. If it doesn't work ask RME support on their forums.
Alright, so apparently to solve that I need to stay on 48 Khz.
I had one question left though, how do I test my ears for the optimal Parametic EQ setting? Is there some kind of audio I can listen to like on each of the 5 frequencies, so I can press a button when I can hear a beep to optimally set this up?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, so apparently to solve that I need to stay on 48 Khz.
I had one question left though, how do I test my ears for the optimal Parametic EQ setting? Is there some kind of audio I can listen to like on each of the 5 frequencies, so I can press a button when I can hear a beep to optimally set this up?

aschen

RME, Ncore, & LS50 Metas: all state of the art. However, wouldn't OP have been better off with a recommendation that could effectively high Pass the ls50s? Not sure if the SVS has this built in but seems a waste to have state of the art DAC only to sent the mains signal back through integral DSP in the sub.

My 1st ASR Post!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A

Alright, so, according to their website, the LS50 Meta's require 40-100 Watts each, so combining that with the SVS-2000 Pro subwoofer, I think I'm gonna go with the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC RCA Stereo Class D Power Amplifier NCore 2x125W 4 Ohm.

So apart from this, all I need is a DAC. Any cables I need to connect this to the optical port or usb port from my computer motherboard?

I hope you can excuse the way I phrase questions, all of this is completely new to me. 5 years ago, I would've dragged my computer to a repair shop just to unplug a hard drive, and now I'm swapping processors around like it's nothing. I hope to one day help people out with these first audiophile steps like you do now ;)
You could go fairly cheap with the Khadas Tone 2 which is balanced, very small, inexpensive, and has its own volume control. Great performance numbers as well. It will work on USB input from your PC as well.

OP
S

Slyceth

I'm interested in upgrading my set-up to 5.1 Surround. Would that be possible? I still have the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm, the SVS SB-2000 Pro and the LS50 Meta's can I re-use these? Can I just buy 3 more LS50 Meta's or can I also buy 3 more active speakers instead?

What do I need to hook it all up together? @Matias

I'm asking because I just got word from RME, because my RME ADI-2 DAC Fs can either be replaced for free, or I can get my money back and use it to allow me to upgrade to 5.1.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in upgrading my set-up to 5.1 Surround. Would that be possible? I still have the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm, the SVS SB-2000 Pro and the LS50 Meta's can I re-use these? Can I just buy 3 more LS50 Meta's or can I also buy 3 more active speakers instead?

What do I need to hook it all up together? @Matias

I'm asking because I just got word from RME, because my RME ADI-2 DAC Fs can either be replaced for free, or I can get my money back and use it to allow me to upgrade to 5.1.
Assuming you will build a home theater in a room, you will need and AV receiver or processor to convert the several surround formats into line outs into the amplifier. There are several multi-channel amplifier vendors, or you can get more stereo amplifiers if you wish.

OP
S

Slyceth

Assuming you will build a home theater in a room, you will need and AV receiver or processor to convert the several surround formats into line outs into the amplifier. There are several multi-channel amplifier vendors, or you can get more stereo amplifiers if you wish.
Line outs into the amplifier? So I can't re-use the existing amplifier in some way? I need a brand new surround amplifier? Can't I use my existing stereo amplifier, and buy another stereo amplifier and a single amplifier (2+2+1) or (2+3) to get to 5 channels?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Line outs into the amplifier? So I can't re-use the existing amplifier in some way? I need a brand new surround amplifier? Can't I use my existing stereo amplifier, and buy another stereo amplifier and a single amplifier (2+2+1) or (2+3) to get to 5 channels?
Yes, you can keep your current stereo amplifier and add more amplifiers like you mentioned.
See the back of an AVR like a Denon or an AVP like Marantz AV line. There you see RCA outs and XLR outs to your amplifiers.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
...I sit 1 meter from this set-up, and do not plan on upgrading, so all I need is a digital-input stereo amplifier and I'm golden...I only need it to connect my 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer to my pc. Don't plan to upgrade...

I'm interested in upgrading my set-up to 5.1 Surround. Would that be possible?...

:D I've seen this many times before. Never say never!

Top Bottom