• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for 2 LS50 Meta's and a SVS SB-2000 Pro? (1 meter apart PC-only Desktop set-up)

Slyceth

I've done a lot of research over the past year, and decided upon these speakers and this subwoofer because they're one of the best, being able to be played at low volumes. I sit 1 meter from this set-up, and do not plan on upgrading, so all I need is a digital-input stereo amplifier and I'm golden. I don't want to spend more than 1000$ if I don't have to, I'm open to suggestions but I got these lined up from popular reviews;

Marantz PM6007

Cambridge audio CXA81 OR CXA61

NAD D3020 V2

NAD D3045

Denon PMA-600NE Not sure about this one, seems to focus on being an analogue device, so probably not too great compared to the other options.

Audiolab 6000a

Totem Kin Amp

Yamaha R-N803D/RN-803D

Yamaha WXA-50

I'm looking for a non-network amplifier, I only need it to connect my 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer to my pc. Don't plan to upgrade. Needs to have enough power for these 3 devices, as well as the best audio quality (I know this is subjective, but there must be some kind of general consensus about each amplifier about some having more treble, or others retaining audio quality better at lower volumes for example, I'm looking for the newest amp module, for example, if possible). Size and looks doesn't matter, I'll be putting it in on a shelf, out of sight.

I hugely appreciate any suggestions! Thank you so much!

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In terms of clean watts per dollar. The hypex based amps one of the members here (Buckeye) builds probably can't be beat. I'm guessing you want an AIO box solution. Whilte Buckeye's amps are pure power amps, and would require at the very least a separate DAC, and some sort of crossover (minidsp) unless the SVS can passthrough signal, and act as it's own crossover. But if you can deal with having a few boxes on your desktop. You'll be way under budget with significantly more clean watts than anything on your list.

Or you can elminate the need for amplification, and go with self powered LS50.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for LS50 Wireless 2.

OP
S

Slyceth

In terms of clean watts per dollar. The hypex based amps one of the members here (Buckeye) builds probably can't be beat. I'm guessing you want an AIO box solution. Whilte Buckeye's amps are pure power amps, and would require at the very least a separate DAC, and some sort of crossover (minidsp) unless the SVS can passthrough signal, and act as it's own crossover. But if you can deal with having a few boxes on your desktop. You'll be way under budget with significantly more clean watts than anything on your list.

Or you can elminate the need for amplification, and go with self powered LS50.
Are the self-powered LS50 really worth the 1300 extra euro's over the regular ones as opposed to buying a 1300 euro amp/dac+minidsp+power amp combo? Are none of the amplifiers on my list something you could recommend? I'm open to trying having a few boxes on my desktop, but that would mean starting from scratch, unless you know an exact set-up I can use? I live in Europe, Netherlands so importing something from members might be too pricey.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are the self-powered LS50 really worth the 1300 extra euro's over the regular ones as opposed to buying a 1300 euro amp/dac+minidsp+power amp combo? Are none of the amplifiers on my list something you could recommend? I'm open to trying having a few boxes on my desktop, but that would mean starting from scratch, unless you know an exact set-up I can use? I live in Europe, Netherlands so importing something from members might be too pricey.

I don't know, but when a manufacturer self powers a speaker, they can use dsp to overcome a lot of passive crossover limitations.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

The hypex based amps are a known quantity, and at least twice as powerful as anything you've listed. With near SOTA performance.

Of those you've listed, I think only the yamaha has been reviewed. It has a mediocre DAC, with a better than average amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

A similiar NAD device was also reviewed. It was found to have a terrible DAC with an above average amp as well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-nad-7050-streaming-amp.6983/#post-156892

There's so many budget DACs that outperform both of them significantly.

OP
S

Slyceth

I don't know, but when a manufacturer self powers a speaker, they can use dsp to overcome a lot of passive crossover limitations.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

The hypex based amps are a known quantity, and at least twice as powerful as anything you've listed. With near SOTA performance.

Of those you've listed, I think only the yamaha has been reviewed. It has a mediocre DAC, with a better than average amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

A similiar NAD device was also reviewed. It was found to have a terrible DAC with an above average amp as well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-nad-7050-streaming-amp.6983/#post-156892

There's so many budget DACs that outperform both of them significantly.
It's impossible, I live in Europe, Buckeye Amps doesn't ship to Europe. I also have no way to fix it if something goes wrong.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever you get, look for something with decent bass management. One that comes to mind if it’s available to you is ELAC EA101. It looks nice on a desk and has excellent automated bass management and thoughtful room correction. I’d still use it in my desktop/WFH system if it had line outs (swapped it out when I changed from passive to active speakers). My review here:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...series-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifier-review/

Also, out of sight is a bad idea. You’ll want easy access to the volume knob.

Katji

Major Contributor
Are the self-powered LS50 really worth the 1300 extra euro's over the regular ones as opposed to buying a 1300 euro amp/dac+minidsp+power amp combo?
Yes, definitely. LS50 is quite well-known to need good amplification, otherwise the results can be mediocre, and eventually the person gets some other speakers. Some of the amps people like with LS50 cost more like 13 000 euros.
Some people like buy-and-try and try again, active/integrated amps take care of that.

Zoomer

It's impossible, I live in Europe, Buckeye Amps doesn't ship to Europe. I also have no way to fix it if something goes wrong.

This is your alternative then.

OP
S

Slyceth

This is your alternative then.
Which one of those would I need? Or are they all just better versions of themselves, meaning I just have to pick one based on how much I want to spend? And aside from this, all I need is a DAC and I'm done?

Zoomer

Which one of those would I need?

You've done your research, so you know the recommended amplifier power of the speakers you selected, right?
Shouldn't be too difficult to pick the corresponding offering.

Normally I'd recommend one size up, but I don't know if that adds any value with this size speakers.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slyceth

A
You've done your research, so you know the recommended amplifier power of the speakers you selected, right?
Shouldn't be too difficult to pick the corresponding offering.

Normally I'd recommend one size up, but I don't know if that adds any value with this size speakers.
Alright, so, according to their website, the LS50 Meta's require 40-100 Watts each, so combining that with the SVS-2000 Pro subwoofer, I think I'm gonna go with the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC RCA Stereo Class D Power Amplifier NCore 2x125W 4 Ohm.

So apart from this, all I need is a DAC. Any cables I need to connect this to the optical port or usb port from my computer motherboard?

I hope you can excuse the way I phrase questions, all of this is completely new to me. 5 years ago, I would've dragged my computer to a repair shop just to unplug a hard drive, and now I'm swapping processors around like it's nothing. I hope to one day help people out with these first audiophile steps like you do now ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you are assembling quite a nice first system, I would choose the RME ADI-2 DAC fs + Audiophonics NC252MP for your LS50 Metas + SB2000 Pro. Veeeeery nice system. Buy once and forget it.

BobPM

Matias makes a good suggestion, but it should be clarified. Unless I missed something in your description, you need at least a DAC with a pre-amp since you are specifying a power amplifier. A lot of the DACs reviewed here have some pre-amp volume functionality--such as the RME. But some are pure DACs and you would need a pre-amp in front of the power amp. Also, how are you planning to get a signal to the sub?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RME has preamp funcionality (with its excellent AutoRef feature), sends XLR outs to the Audiophonics NC252MP amplifier, and at the same time RCA out to the subwoofer. Plus it has an excellent DAC, excellent headphone amp, killer DSP (PEQ for room EQ, crossfeed, loudness) and the color display to top it off.

OP
S

Slyceth

RME has preamp funcionality (with its excellent AutoRef feature), sends XLR outs to the Audiophonics NC252MP amplifier, and at the same time RCA out to the subwoofer. Plus it has an excellent DAC, excellent headphone amp, killer DSP (PEQ for room EQ, crossfeed, loudness) and the color display to top it off.

Alright! I've just ordered the RME ADI-2 DAC fs!
So you're saying I need XLR on the amplifier, to be specific, I'll need the "AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm" correct? The 125W one mentioned before doesn't have NC252MP.
Do I need any cables as well, or am I set after ordering this?
Thanks in advance!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

Slyceth

@Slyceth congrats!

This is the cheapest NC252MP build in EU.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

If you want more premium builds, also in the EU, check also Nord, Apollon, BoXem.

XLR and RCA cables from UK (or from Audiophonics too maybe) and you are set.
I found a good XLR cable: https://www.allekabels.nl/xlr-kabel/8/1166617/xlr-kabel-gebalanceerd.html
But all the RCA cables come in pairs, as in sprouting into 2, will this still work? https://www.allekabels.nl/tulp-kabel/9/1299684/tulp-kabel.html

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These RCA cables would work but they are very cheap and construction seems weak. Food this level of a system I would invest some better constructed cables and again but once and forget it.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slyceth

These RCA called would work but they are very cheap and construction seems weak. Food this level of a system I would invest some better constructed cables and again but once and forget it.
Alright, well, the site I trust most is this one: https://www.bax-shop.nl/bekabeling/audio-bekabeling could you do me a huge favor and locate the 2 cables I need? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of buying one that's too cheap, or one that's over 60 euros.. I think I need an optical cable as well to connect from my source device to the DAC, I don't know if it's included.

Top Bottom