• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification and The HE6se v2

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Long Story short...
I had the Atom driving somehow the HE-6.. I have used a Yamaha CA-1000 in class with a DIY speaker to Headphones box.. It works.. but I no longer want this cumbersome and energy-inefficient solution. Watts are expensive and scarce where I live now. I am exclusively on Generator and Solar Panels.. Not an off-grid choice , simply that we are not even provided with 12 hours of commercial AC power, per week.. , per week.:( :mad:
Acquired an HE-6SE in the meantime, and tried to equalize it to the Harman curve with Amir settings and/or Oratory's ... Atom can't muster it.. just can't . I have read some replies in this thread... Can't find some kind of definitive answer for a good amp that would drive this HE-6SE with headroom for any crazy EQ.. and that doesn't cost over $300.oo
Can the THX789AAA do it? It says 6,000 mw for 32 ohms ... Would it be enough? Drop is out of stock but it can be found on eBay... so...
What else? With my budget.

Thanks in advance

Peace.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Long Story short...
I had the Atom driving somehow the HE-6.. I have used a Yamaha CA-1000 in class with a DIY speaker to Headphones box.. It works.. but I no longer want this cumbersome and energy-inefficient solution. Watts are expensive and scarce where I live now. I am exclusively on Generator and Solar Panels.. No an off-grid choice , simply that we are not even provided with 12 hours of commercial AC power, per week.. , per week.:( :mad:
Acquired an HE-6SE in the meantime, and tried to equalize it to the Harman curve with Amir settings and/or Oratory's ... Atom can't muster it.. just can't . I have read some replies in this thread... Can't find some kind of definitive answer for a good amp that would drive this HE-6SE with headroom for any crazy EQ.. and that doesn't cost over $300.oo
Can the THX789AAA do it? It says 6,000 mw for 32 ohms ... Would it be enough. Drop is out of stock but I can find it on eBay... so...

Thanks in advance

Peace.
For what it's worth I use the 789 balanced with a - 3db preamp (fed from an rme adi 2 so can put out more than 4v balanced) and get to about 9 I clock mid gain.

But when you start getting into 6 or 10 dB reduction you're changing the game.

I'll have a fiddle tonight, lock the rme to 4v and see what preamp I have to add to max high gain out.

cheapmessiah

For what it's worth I use the 789 balanced with a - 3db preamp (fed from an rme adi 2 so can put out more than 4v balanced) and get to about 9 I clock mid gain.

But when you start getting into 6 or 10 dB reduction you're changing the game.

I'll have a fiddle tonight, lock the rme to 4v and see what preamp I have to add to max high gain out.

I'm very interested too on your findings, i'm looking to add the nan-6 (for the absolute insanity that the whole buy and test process offers) and power it with the THX 887.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Long Story short...
I had the Atom driving somehow the HE-6.. I have used a Yamaha CA-1000 in class with a DIY speaker to Headphones box.. It works.. but I no longer want this cumbersome and energy-inefficient solution. Watts are expensive and scarce where I live now. I am exclusively on Generator and Solar Panels.. Not an off-grid choice , simply that we are not even provided with 12 hours of commercial AC power, per week.. , per week.:( :mad:
Can the THX789AAA do it? It says 6,000 mw for 32 ohms ... Would it be enough. Drop is out of stock but I can find it on eBay... so...

Thanks in advance

Peace.
A purifi or other high power class d, nc502mp for example works extremely well for my (more difficult to drive ?) susvara. Assuming you have a dac available to feed the amp.
Picked up a used nc502mp for less than $500. The nc252mp should easily power it and those are even cheaper

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At this point, I would like to quickly take the opportunity to report on my latest experience with the FA-10.

Yesterday I listened for the first time with the HE6SE, with the volume I wanted Move Ds album building bridges.
It was actually shocking in the most positive sense, from how much better the Hifiman sounded with this amplifier, compared to the EF400.
As I said, at this volume.
I didn't measure, but it was definitely over 90 dB.
Probably I drove the EFF 400 in a range where the distortions increased nevertheless strongly.
Of course, all that I say now is subjective, since I have not made a direct A / B comparison, but I had the impression as he had not only the precision increased significantly, but also the imaging.
The overall rendering, was much more 3D!
I can not recommend the FA-10, as an amplifier for the HE6SE strong enough.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point, I would like to quickly take the opportunity to report on my latest experience with the FA-10.

Yesterday I listened for the first time with the HE6SE, with the volume I wanted Move Ds album building bridges.
It was actually shocking in the most positive sense, from how much better the Hifiman sounded with this amplifier, compared to the EF400.
As I said, at this volume.
I didn't measure, but it was definitely over 90 dB.
Probably I drove the EFF 400 in a range where the distortions increased nevertheless strongly.
Of course, all that I say now is subjective, since I have not made a direct A / B comparison, but I had the impression as he had not only the precision increased significantly, but also the imaging.
The overall rendering, was much more 3D!
I can not recommend the FA-10, as an amplifier for the HE6SE strong enough.
The only problem with this is that Fluxlabs has stopped producing their amps due to the war and the used market availaablity is teeeenie. The reason i know is i was going to purchase one and spoke to Flux finding out their status. As such, i went down the class d ncore path and got more power, more current and .... more chance to blow up my cans :-(

Bow_Wazoo

There is one listed in the Head-fi forum right now, I just saw this a few hours ago

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yah, its been listed since march and selling for $3400.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Just listed yesterday and ships to Europe only. Works perfectly except relay problem that will go away after burn in LOL

Bow_Wazoo

This is not the first time I have heard this...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Long Story short...
Can the THX789AAA do it? It says 6,000 mw for 32 ohms ... Would it be enough? Drop is out of stock but it can be found on eBay... so...

Thanks in advance

Peace.

OK- so fiddling with the 789 today. Some points:

1. I set my dac to 4v XLR output to the 789.
2. HE6 connected to balanced outputs (obviously)
3. You should probably read this post about the 789 input sensitivity for the different gain settings- particularly high https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-7...k/2502447?utm_source=linkshare&referer=BADMZQ

With that in mind. I set the 789 to high gain and maxed the volume knob.

The loudest I could listen to a flat EQ on the HE6 was with a -10db preamp in software. I would really only be comfortable with more like -12 or 13 db or more for normal (loud) listening. I would forget high gain for my normal normal listening.

My concern for you with the 789 would be the high gain input sensitivity mentioned in the link at 3, above If you need a large preamp reduction for high bass EQ and listen to lots of bass heavy music, Im not sure how you know a 4v XLR dac is going to not be putting more than 2 V out on any given track. I figure I was fine because I used a flat EQ profile so everything was 10db or more down.

cheapmessiah

3. You should probably read this post about the 789 input sensitivity for the different gain settings- particularly high https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-7...k/2502447?utm_source=linkshare&referer=BADMZQ

The loudest I could listen to a flat EQ on the HE6 was with a -10db preamp in software. I would really only be comfortable with more like -12 or 13 db or more for normal (loud) listening. I would forget high gain for my normal normal listening.

My concern for you with the 789 would be the high gain input sensitivity mentioned in the link at 3, above If you need a large preamp reduction for high bass EQ and listen to lots of bass heavy music, Im not sure how you know a 4v XLR dac is going to not be putting more than 2 V out on any given track. I figure I was fine because I used a flat EQ profile so everything was 10db or more down.

Would it be too much to ask if you could do that eqed to Harman?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are in potential clipping teritory there using the high gain on the 789 with a max 4v input . Oratory suggests a - 7.4db preamp.

I'll give it a go though.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't acquired the THX. A few questions:
Can the source be single-ended and the headphones output balanced, on the THX-789?
If I were to use my current DAC, the Khadas Tone Board, I know it output to be limited to 2 Volts. From what I read somewhere the THX789 maximum input is 7 volts on both RCA (SE) or XLR (Balanced) inputs...
I don't want to buy, when what I have can be used. Inflation and before it , ASR have made of me a very frugal, some would call it "cheap, audiophile Audiophile.

I foresee a system with a DAC, Raspberry Pi running Volumio as the streamer/EQ and the THX789 AAA driving the HE-6SE if the THX 789 can use a single-ended input to power a balanced headphones.

I had/have an HE-6 4 screws. it is old and falling apart and I used a vtg speaker amp to drive. I came to however use mostly the HifiMan HE-560 because of the ease of use... The Atom powered it to perfection. It is also old and falling apart. I changed the pads and the frame, these didn't last ... I bought an HE-6SE. HiFiMan has agreed to replace the DOA specimen. It will my go to headphones but I need a simple convenient system. not something I would be fiddling at or tinkering on, all the time. I like Volumio when it works. It decided not to work these past few days..
A simple , movable system for listening to music on my desk or in my bedroom.

Any recommandation? ( I know the thread is about amplifier for the He-6SE) but ...

Peace.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the source be single-ended and the headphones output balanced, on the THX-789?
Yes

From what I read somewhere the THX789 maximum input is 7 volts on both RCA (SE) or XLR (Balanced)
Sadly, this is where it gets complex. Low and med gain can accept 7 volts. High gain is 2.1v limit on either rca or xlr.

Which makes life hard when you have a 7v dac but also use eq.

@cheapmessiah as requested I tried it high gain with Harman eq. But I can't figure if I reduced my dac too low (2v from xlr) given the eq and pre amp used. But with a 2v max input and oratory Harman eq , it got loud but not REAL loud.

Using the rme adi 2 I would use med gain and turn the dac up as high as I needed.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes

Sadly, this is where it gets complex. Low and med gain can accept 7 volts. High gain is 2.1v limit on either rca or xlr.

@cheapmessiah as requested I tried it high gain with Harman eq. But I can't figure if I reduced my dac too low (2v from xlr) given most the eq and pre amp. But with a 2v max input and oratory Harman eq , it got loud but not REAL loud.

Using the rme adi 2 I would use med gain and turn the dac up as high as I needed.
my DAC Khadas Toneboard, can't output 7V... Its MAX is likely around 2 Volts... I could be in business...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my DAC Khadas Toneboard, can't output 7V... Its MAX is likely around 2 Volts... I could be in business...
Then you'll get 16db gain on that. I think!

cheapmessiah

Yes

@cheapmessiah as requested I tried it high gain with Harman eq. But I can't figure if I reduced my dac too low (2v from xlr) given most the eq and pre amp used. But with a 2v max input and oratory Harman eq , it got loud but not REAL loud.

Thanks a lot jimbob!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just purchased a THX 789 AAA on eBay.. Should get the new, and hopefully working HE-6SE in the next 2 weeks.. Will report on this thread ..Thanks @Jimbob54!! Thanks everybody.

Seems that the "DIY", speaker terminal to headphone adapter wasn't a DIY; it is rather a very early and original HifiMan version... the person who sold it to me, several years ago, told me it was DIY...:confused:... and I assumed, used and never cared to look .. People are strange :)

Peace.

Top Bottom