• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amphion studio monitors

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
There's a giant thread about them on Gearslutz but haven't seen anything about them here.
Does anyone have any experience with them?
amphion-two15.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yeah. Didn't like them. Extremely unflattering but also just generally kind of not fun to listen to for any extended period of time.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have heard them in Munich HiEnd. At the fist instance, I was impressed. Same like Bowers & Wilkins speakers, after 10-15 minutes of hearing, I wanted to run away as it was tiring. I am sure I would have not tolerated for extended periods of listening.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am amazed at the sort of ragged treble response they can achieve using SEAS drivers in a waveguide (so edge diffraction isn't even as bad). Clearly they have moved from being a progressive brand with uncommonly well-engineered speakers in the early 00s to be another of those brands trading of a cult of personality, wearing their idiosyncrasies proudly on the sleeve and even claiming that their speakers are accurate. And of course so many in even pro audio have lapped up this romantic backstory they have going on.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Am amazed at the sort of ragged treble response they can achieve using SEAS drivers in a waveguide (so edge diffraction isn't even as bad). Clearly they have moved from being a progressive brand with uncommonly well-engineered speakers in the early 00s to be another of those brands trading of a cult of personality, wearing their idiosyncrasies proudly on the sleeve and even claiming that their speakers are accurate. And of course so many in even pro audio have lapped up this romantic backstory they have going on.
I'm amazed there's an almost 300 page thread about them on Gearslutz, I was sure they were the best thing ever.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jazmanaut

Audio Company
I have pair of One18 in my mastering facility and they are the best thing ever. At first, they sound a bit boring, but when you start working with them, youll be amazed. I still have not figure out whats that magig about, but they reveal instantly what you need to do, and when you are ready.
Maybe its the phase coherency, or lack of distortions, but oh boy these cannreveal and present every miniscule details. Even slightiest dynamic chances you make are there!
Yeah, im a huge amphion fanboy nowdays.

Jazmanaut

Audio Company
Oh, and amhion have two product lines. Hifi and studio, so those measurements above about heliums and such dont compaire with ones series.

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom