• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amphion studio monitors

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate your thoughtful reply, napilopez.

I think what I'm trying to get at, or at least one point I'm trying to get at, is that the speaker measurement metrics used here may not be as applicable for the purposes of studio monitors, or monitors as mixing tools, than they are for speakers used for hifi listening. I read comments here all the time that makers like ATC, PMC, and now Amphion are subpar and the success of their business relies upon their reputation alone, and that anyone who would buy these monitors are throwing their money away when objectively better measuring speakers are available at a fraction of the price. Now to be clear, I'm not trying to defend any manufacturer and I'm not trying to justify any expensive purchase I've made, I'm just trying to make sense of the fact that I've used the speakers that measure well and I've used the ones that measure "average" or "total shit," and I went with the latter because that's what gave me the results I needed for professional mixing work. In the name of science, I'd like to figure out why these speakers are preferred for mixing and mastering, and I'm not satisfied with "because they look cool" or "marketing hype."

The vertical directivity is an interesting point that I'd like to read into more. Another thing I've noticed is that, I believe, Genelecs are measured in an anechoic room whereas Amphions are measured (from the Amphion website)... "the speaker low end (below 100Hz) is measured in half free space. This gives a fairly accurate estimation of a very large control room.." Honestly I don't really know what this means or if it's even legitimate, but if a manufacturer is designing their speaker with a specific listening environment in mind maybe that's what I'm picking up on as a mixer.

In addition, the low-end on the one18 is very useful for mixing. In the same smallish room that I used the (ported) Genelecs in, the bass is more consistent throughout the frequency spectrum and it's faster (the bass notes sound like they start and stop faster). So yes, anecdotal, but if what I'm describing makes sense to you I would be interested in hearing what measurements show this "quick bass" phenomenon.

I'm more than happy to be schooled if it's in good faith. I'd love to know why these speakers and speakers like them work so well for so many mixing engineers while measuring average or poorly for the hifi crowd without it devolving into "groupthink" or "marketing."

Oh, and can I ask where your interview with Anssi appeared?
Thanks for the thoughtful reply back! My chat with Anssi was just to get more background -- not a formal interview =]

To address some of your points:

• I feel you on the criticism of those brands. Sometimes its exaggerated, sometimes it's more justified. I think it depends on the individual speaker too. And sometimes even with the same data, our interpretation might differ.

• I think an issue that is often an unspoken undertone inn these debates is the lack of standards in audio. This contributes to what Floyd Toole calls the "circle of confusion." In visual media like film, you have strict standards you can adhere to so you can ensure the picture in theaters or at home is as close as possible to how it was in the editing room. Audio could be much more consistent, but so long as people keep recording, mixing, and mastering on equipment that varies so dramatically in frequency response, audio is always going to have a significant grey area for performance and accuracy.

To me, advocating for flat frequency response and smooth directivity isn't just about enjoyment or accuracy, it's about helping to propagate some standards in audio. Marketing is always talking about "hear the music as the artist intended!" but the only way we can really do that is if the sound in the home is as close to the studio as possible. There's always going to be some room-related variability, but there's also a lot more we can control for than we currently do.

• How Genelec and Amphion say they measure their speakers almost surely has little do with the end result. The vast majority of anechoic chambers aren't very accurate below 100hz or so, so companies have different ways of figuring out the lowest frequencies. Some (most?) of them use ground-plane measurements, others use the NFS now. Still others put their speakers on a giant crane. Half space measurements is just how amphion chooses to quantify and display their bass performance.

• Before I talk about bass -- did you have both speakers calibrated to your room with a similar bass tuning? If a speaker has more bass, chances are it's going to sound slower/boomier around frequencies that excite room nodes.

• My first thought would be that because the amphion on-18 begin to roll-off gently at around 100Hz (compared a steep roll off at 60Hz for the genelec), there'll be less ringing at those frequencies. In any case, as bass is inexorably tied to the room, we need to put the speakers on a level playing field before making a comparison. There are other things that can affect the perception of bass "speed" but I believe you always have to eliminate frequency response as a factor first.That said, bass tuning is certainly a design consideration, but it'll naturally vary from room to room. I prefer a slight bass roll-off myself.

• So the ironic thing about your penultimate sentence is that in general it's the hi-fi crowd that really has poorly performing speakers outside of some standouts. Most studio monitors are still "flattish," in the grand scheme of things and the Amphions definitely fall under that umbrella. The same cannot be said for most hi-fi speakers.

Sometimes ASR and other objectivist parts of the audio community skew perspective. People around these parts are exceptionally picky about what crosses the threshold of "good" because the Klippel NFS and more measurements in general have made it easier to separate the very best from the rest. But I definitely think people are too picky sometimes. In the grand scheme of things, every amphion measurement I've seen has been tonally neutral with solid directivity. They're not picture-perfect measurements at the state of the art, but I'd argue they're well within the realm of diminishing returns.

If you're really interested in learning more, you should check out Floyd Toole's book. Not that you should have to read a book just to have discussion about audio, but it is a gold mine of knowledge and a very useful reference full of indexed topics and listed academic sources. It answers some of these questions better than I ever could.

lowkeyoperations

Got to say that my Amphion One15s have been the most useful monitors I have mixed on. They have an uncanny ability to tell you what needs to be addressed. And it’s only once your mix starts addressing those issues that your song starts to sound decent. And then if they sound ok on the One15s they tend to sound a lot better on other playback systems.

This was not the case on my Neumann KH120s. Almost the exact opposite. That said, out in the lounge room I did a shoot out and the Neumanns were much nicer to listen to for enjoyment.

My general take away from that is mixing is a different set of tasks to listening for pleasure.

I have my One15s less than 900mm apart and sit slightly inside the triangle about 750mm away from them. So really tight nearfields. I’m not sure that off axis measurements are as important in this type of arrangement. But I know that they have very good ability to distinguish timing differences. I can hear changes on compressor attack and release settings that were not possible to hear on the Neumanns and better than my previous PMC and Dynaudio monitors too for that task. I’d call them very revealing in that very small changes to eq and compression are well articulated. What measurement enables that? I don’t know.

I heard a pair of Argon 3S speakers in a hifi store and they sounded really nice. Certainly more “enjoyable” than my One15s do in my lounge room. I think the 3s are the equivalent of the One18s. The smaller Argon hifi speakers are bass reflex rather than passive radiator so aren’t a direct compartment the One15s, but they sounded pretty good too.

There was mention above about standards in mixing. The closest we ever came was probably Yamaha NS10s. So I don’t know what that says. Haha

Reactions: d3l

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see why we have to mollycoddle fetishists that subscribe to a cult of personality built around antiquated passive monitors passing themselves off as state of the art with poorly-integrated SEAS drivers, passive radiators and a waveguide in a ply box.

dfuller

Major Contributor
But I know that they have very good ability to distinguish timing differences. I can hear changes on compressor attack and release settings that were not possible to hear on the Neumanns and better than my previous PMC and Dynaudio monitors too for that task. I’d call them very revealing in that very small changes to eq and compression are well articulated. What measurement enables that? I don’t know.
I have no idea, because I found Amphions to be pretty cloudy compared to Neumanns which are razor sharp defined. Do yourself a favor and compare the KH310s to the Amphions, they compare quite favorably to the big ATCs in terms of accuracy especially in the mids.

PMC, well... they aren't ever flat (weird bumpy upper bass/low mids from the transmission line loading, way too hot up top, zero directivity control).

Dynaudio is just one giant question mark, I have no idea why they tune their speakers the way they do. Utterly useless for mixing IME. Simultaneously too bright and too dark.
Most studio monitors are still "flattish," in the grand scheme of things and the Amphions definitely fall under that umbrella. The same cannot be said for most hi-fi speakers.
Yes. Amphions are not state of the art DSP ruler flat speakers - but they're not NS10 grotboxes either. They're in the category of "probably good enough for most people".

They're really nothing special overall, but they have unusually good vertical directivity behavior because of the driver integration choices.

lowkeyoperations

^the KH310’s are $5500 AUD, the One15s are $3300. Plus the cost of an amp I guess. But the Neumanns are definitely up a level in cost. I’m sure the 3 ways will have benefits over 2ways though.

I definitely prefer Dynuadio for listening rather than mixing. I had old BM6s btw.

I’m finding the One15s and a pair of Slate VSX headphones are giving me all the information I need for mixing.

lowkeyoperations

I don't see why we have to mollycoddle fetishists that subscribe to a cult of personality built around antiquated passive monitors passing themselves off as state of the art with poorly-integrated SEAS drivers, passive radiators and a waveguide in a ply box.
A cult of personality pretty well describes asr I’d say :lol:

Top Bottom