• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp Volume and Power Question

Dastig

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it!

I keep reading that some speakers "need" a more powerful amp to shine, the LS50s being one of them. I currently have a "not-so-powerful' amp (Topping PA3) powering the LS50s, but I can't turn the volume knob past 3 o clock without it being way too loud. Does this mean that the amp is "powerful" enough since I don't need to turn the volume knob all the way up? Or will the sound still benefit from having a more powerful amp?

Thank you!

F

freemansteve

Should be fine - if 3oclock is "too loud", and say, up to 2oclock the system still sounds sweet (and very loud) to your ears..... I'm not sure how distorted the PA3 gets at 3oclock though!...

KEF recommend amps 40-100W, and I think you have up to 50W available, but it's probably more about having enough power for short loud passages or transient parts rather than continuous power. You probably mostly listen up to about 5W in practice.

Do you have a specific issue with the way the system sounds, or is this looking for a solution without an actual problem?

You may benefit from some subs though, if you have an itch to experiment :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Those speakers are reviewed and mesured hire.
Let's just say they have average sensitivity but aren't either easy to drive (considering where lowest impedance is) and taking in consideration deficiency they have from 120 to 50 Hz for which you need to compensate (EQ) for up to 6 dB as much you can get regarding programed (desired) loudness level without peaks (sever distortion) there. Those really benefit from sub wafer. Mentioned Topping is 33W at 8 Ohm's and 100 W amp could push a little less than 10 dB more. So figure out from there your self but I doubt those speakers can go very laud without distorting severe.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it!

I keep reading that some speakers "need" a more powerful amp to shine, the LS50s being one of them. I currently have a "not-so-powerful' amp (Topping PA3) powering the LS50s, but I can't turn the volume knob past 3 o clock without it being way too loud. Does this mean that the amp is "powerful" enough since I don't need to turn the volume knob all the way up? Or will the sound still benefit from having a more powerful amp?

Thank you!

How does it sound?

If it is too loud at 3 turn it down to 1 or 2.

OP
D

Dastig

Bit more detail about my setup - I'm running them from PC --> DDRC-24 --> Topping PA3. The LS50s are high passed at 100hz and I have a Klipsch Sub-12 (lowpassed at 60hz) and Dayton Sub1000 (Highpassed at 70hz and lowpassed at 140hz) handling the lower end. This gave me the flattest frequency response at listening position (nearfield about 3ft from speakers).

I'm not hearing any distortion/clipping with the amp at the 3 o clock position. Is that the only thing I should be concerned about? Guess I'm looking for a problem to solve haha. Wondering if I get a more powerful amp if the speakers will "Open up" more in soundstage or play with "more authority", or if that is a bunch of bollocks.

If not, yeah, I'd rather spend money upgrading one or both of the subs!

F

freemansteve

Sounds like it should be a good setup as it is!
The problem is that while one amp may sound a little different from another, it is difficult to say what sounds best, with kit above a certain quality, unless you are able to A-B test it in your specific audio chain, and in your exact listening environment. You may be able to buy many "better" and more powerful amps, but I say it will be hit and miss as to whether they make you happier....

Top Bottom