• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp upgrade for Fostex T60rp

jackdanyal

Hi folks, need some help with upgrading my current amplifier to something more advanced.
Currently I have Monolith Liquid Spark connected to the dac section of Fiio K3 (second release). My HP are Fostex T60rp and LS drives them pretty well even on default gain.
But I think (or it seems to me), that my hp can play better with better amplifier. So, I'm thinking about upgrade in the price range up to 400 euros.
Recently I ordered Monolith THX 887 and returned it after a couple of days because read in this forum about sound clipping on the 3rd gain with balanced input of 4vrms.
I think it's quite odd if you can't use the whole potential of the amplifier, even if the sound will be too loud on the 3rd gain with 4vrms input.
Currently thinking about:
1. Topping A30 pro
2. Aune X7s
3. Audio-GD NFB-11.28 Performance edition (dac/amp)
4. Your suggestions and variants.

I really love how LS sounds and don't even know will I get an upgraded sound from higher priced amp. Maybe somebody here have of the listed amps and liquid spark and can compare them soundwise?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30pro is nice, but it heats the room up 1-2 degrees and 250 ohm or higher it goes class A and all the vent holes aren't ideal for dust. The SMSL HO200 sounds much better but less power single ended. The SMSL SP200 I'm using now can be found on ebay for $150 and is the value for money winner. With a Topping d10b you'll never leave low gain mode, tons of power.
The Aune x7s is the only amplifier I've had I'd describe as sweet sounding. The gain switch on the bottom is a royal pain to switch compared to a toggle switch.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's how much power you need for the T60RP according to independent measurements by SoundStageNetwork:
Screenshot_20220914-154648_Chrome.png

At 49Ω, the $150 L30II can output 10.3Vrms or about 2.2W.
That's enough to drive the T60RP to an ear-shattering 124dB SPL.
Anything more expensive than that is likely not worth the money.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
With 104 dB/V LPS and impedance of 51.4 Ohm's I don't think those need particularly strong or standalone Amp. Most good mesured dongles will work just fine unbalanced.
To answer your question; EQ them or buy better hedaphones.
If you really like Foster drivers for the mentioned budget you should see what do you think about Denon AX-D5200.
Which will work even with anaemic phone output.
Best regards.

OP
J

jackdanyal

Here's how much power you need for the T60RP according to independent measurements by SoundStageNetwork:
View attachment 230959

At 49Ω, the $150 L30II can output 10.3Vrms or about 2.2W.
That's enough to drive the T60RP to an ear-shattering 124dB SPL.
Anything more expensive than that is likely not worth the money.
interesting. My Fiio k3 barally can drive them with more than 100mW power for 50Ohms. It gives less than Safe level of loudness. And I'm not a person who likes to listen very loud.

OP
J

jackdanyal

The A30pro is nice, but it heats the room up 1-2 degrees and 250 ohm or higher it goes class A and all the vent holes aren't ideal for dust. The SMSL HO200 sounds much better but less power single ended. The SMSL SP200 I'm using now can be found on ebay for $150 and is the value for money winner. With a Topping d10b you'll never leave low gain mode, tons of power.
The Aune x7s is the only amplifier I've had I'd describe as sweet sounding. The gain switch on the bottom is a royal pain to switch compared to a toggle switch.
good points about A30 Pro. I heard many positive things about HO200 and SP200. need to check them out and compare. 3W is a bunch of power I think.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
interesting. My Fiio k3 barally can drive them with more than 100mW power for 50Ohms. It gives less than Safe level of loudness. And I'm not a person who likes to listen very loud.
Something isn't right there! FiiO K3 with it's 74 mV on unbalanced out in high gain should drive those to 109~110 dB (112~113 on balance out).
So I ask you is it amp or hedaphones?

OP
J

jackdanyal

Something isn't right there! FiiO K3 with it's 74 mV on unbalanced out in high gain should drive those to 109~110 dB (112~113 on balance out).
So I ask you is it amp or hedaphones?
should, but can't. because Fostex T60 known as power whores. and it's not a problem with my k3, I tested it with my friend't K3 also and with my Fiio X5II, they just can't drive them enough.

Top Bottom