• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp suggestion for DIY Altec 311-90 wooden horns?

munk

Am on the hunt for an amp to run two Altec 311-90 horn clones i'm making from oak. Ive got two Faital Pro HF146 1.4" 80 W 8 Ohm that will bolt onto the horns. Hopefully will upgrade the compression drivers but on quite a low budget as i've just graduated.

Am considering the Quad 405 as i'm after that warm sound and prefer vintage equipment. Budget for the amp is about £350.

The rest of the system consists of two Altec 620 cabinets i've built loaded with single 15' drivers. And i've got two Colossus 18xb drivers that i'm going to load into two sub cabinets i've designed. Will be playing strictly vinyl of this system using a 2 chan rotary mixer and two turntables.

Any thoughts on the amp for the horns and then a suitable crossover for a budget around the similar price would be great.

Cheers

Top Bottom