• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Farshad

I am considering buying a pair of second hand Atohm GT1-DV Special Edition. I heard them in the shop connected to a Naim Uniti Atom and it sounded fantastic. A lot of detail, nice bass and a fabulous sound stage. My budget is around £1500. The speakers cost £800 (New £2000). I am now looking to find a good matching integrated amp. After a lot of searches, I am considering Roksan K3 Integrated Amplifier. I found a second hand around £850 (New £1300). As I will not be able to test these together, I need your advice. Do you think these are a good match? Do you have any other considerations or objections about each of these? What do you think? This will be my first serious audio system. I have the Rega P2 turntable upgraded with Rega Exact Cartridge and a small RPi4 Streamer with Allo Dac (using Spotify Connect). I am more of a Jazz, Classical listener. I am not going too loud. The living room where these will sit is very average size, not very big. Originally I was convinced to buy a pair of Kef LS50 Meta with Musical Fidelity M2si integrated amp. I am now less convinced about that choice.

Atohm GT1-DV Special Edition:

- Design: 2-way bass reflex
- LF Driver: 6.5" bass
- HF Driver: 1" dome tweeter
- Sensitivity: 89dB (1w / 1m)
- Power (max): 200 Watts
- Impedance: 6 Ohms
- Crossover Freq: 2.5kHz
- Frequency Response: 45Hz - 30kHz

Roksan K3 Integrated Amplifier

- Input Impedance: 47kΩ
- Output Power: > 140W (8Ω), > 220W (4Ω)
- Power Supply: 550VA Toroidal Transformer,
- Power: 5 Regulated Supply Rails
- Frequency Response: <3Hz - >100kHz (-3dB)
- Gain: 37.5dB (75x)
- THD: <0.005% (1kHZ - 14W @ 8Ω)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >90dB (Line Input)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I am considering buying a pair of second hand Atohm GT1-DV Special Edition. I heard them in the shop connected to a Naim Uniti Atom and it sounded fantastic. A lot of detail, nice bass and a fabulous sound stage. My budget is around £1500. The speakers cost £800 (New £2000). I am now looking to find a good matching integrated amp. After a lot of searches, I am considering Roksan K3 Integrated Amplifier. I found a second hand around £850 (New £1300). As I will not be able to test these together, I need your advice. Do you think these are a good match? Do you have any other considerations or objections about each of these? What do you think? This will be my first serious audio system. I have the Rega P2 turntable upgraded with Rega Exact Cartridge and a small RPi4 Streamer with Allo Dac (using Spotify Connect). I am more of a Jazz, Classical listener. I am not going too loud. The living room where these will sit is very average size, not very big. Originally I was convinced to buy a pair of Kef LS50 Meta with Musical Fidelity M2si integrated amp. I am now less convinced about that choice.

Welcome Aboard @Farshad.

Bornsceptic

I am one of quite few owners of that speaker, and can’t say anything negative about it! However, after having spent hours and hours on this forum, I don’t know how it actually performs, if it’s money well spent, or if I would buy the same speaker again now :)

Regarding amp choice, my only input would be this: it seems possibly like an overpriced “audiophile” type of amp, I think you could get the same power for less. Also, I would urge you to look for something with sub out (and ability to High pass the speakers) or at least both pre out and main in. That way you are prepared for adding a sub at some point.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After a lot of searches, I am considering Roksan K3 Integrated Amplifier.
May I ask what these searches were all about?
Do you think these are a good match?
Any amp with flat FR, no audible noise and distorsion and plenty of power will be a good match.
However, after having spent hours and hours on this forum, I don’t know how it actually performs, if it’s money well spent, or if I would buy the same speaker again now
You know there is only one way to find out: send your Atohm to our host!;) I'm would not be worried, tho: Atohm are known to design amazing drivers. Their whitepaper on GT range looks promising.

Bornsceptic

You know there is only one way to find out: send your Atohm to our host!;) I'm would not be worried, tho: Atohm are known to design amazing drivers. Their whitepaper on GT range looks promising.

I’ve actually considered that, and I am really curious. However, the shipping cost back and forth from Sweden could probably fund my upcoming Minidsp purchase :)

OP
Farshad

Farshad

IMG_0549.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. After I couldn't decide quickly, the Atohm was gone, sadly! I am a bit angry that I didn't act fast. Since that failure, I went and bought a pair of Kef LS50 Meta and Arcam SA20. I've heard Meta in a store connected to the Naim Uniti Atom. And I know what I've missed! But still, with my budget, I thought this might be a good start. And although I couldn't find a lot about Arcam, generally, I've heard good reviews for the brand and the class G., The seller, was also thought this is a good amp for the Kef. He had other amps to offer at the same price, so I don't think he had much interest in convincing me on this. So the first week, it was a bit of hit and miss. My ears are not trained to hear music details, and I couldn't trust them to judge the sound. Last weekend I finally listened to a lot of music genre and different loudness, and I decided to keep them both. Then I realised that I need to use the foam bungs in the rear bass ports that Kef provided because they were very close to the wall, and that made a lot of difference in making the bass calm down and acceptable. After a bit more adjustments and positioning, I am pleased with this pair. I was worried that Kef are suitable for a short period and then you will get tired. Not in my experience. I want to go back to the living room and hear music whenever I have time. Of course, I can not compare other amps with this, and I cannot describe various aspects of music and give an analytic view, but it makes me feel good! ;) let me know if you think I could have bought a better combination.

IMG_0550.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. Of course, I can not compare other amps with this, and I cannot describe various aspects of music and give an analytic view, but it makes me feel good! ;) let me know if you think I could have bought a better combination.
No, there is no need since you are satisfied. This Arcam is a good amp. Period. I am 99.99% sure that you won't get any better sound from another amp. The biggest audible upgrades are usually speakers, room correction, or even simpler: positioning. Once you get a good and powerful (enough) amp for your needs, just stick with it.

Just enjoy your music and stop to think about what you should(n't) have bought instead !:cool:

OP
Farshad

Farshad

No, there is no need since you are satisfied. This Arcam is a good amp. Period. I am 99.99% sure that you won't get any better sound from another amp. The biggest audible upgrades are usually speakers, room correction, or even simpler: positioning. Once you get a good and powerful (enough) amp for your needs, just stick with it.

Just enjoy your music and stop to think about what you should(n't) have bought instead !:cool:

Thanks for the advice, very reassuring! I'll do that and try to make them sound their best in the room.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 130490
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. After I couldn't decide quickly, the Atohm was gone, sadly! I am a bit angry that I didn't act fast. Since that failure, I went and bought a pair of Kef LS50 Meta and Arcam SA20. I've heard Meta in a store connected to the Naim Uniti Atom. And I know what I've missed! But still, with my budget, I thought this might be a good start. And although I couldn't find a lot about Arcam, generally, I've heard good reviews for the brand and the class G., The seller, was also thought this is a good amp for the Kef. He had other amps to offer at the same price, so I don't think he had much interest in convincing me on this. So the first week, it was a bit of hit and miss. My ears are not trained to hear music details, and I couldn't trust them to judge the sound. Last weekend I finally listened to a lot of music genre and different loudness, and I decided to keep them both. Then I realised that I need to use the foam bungs in the rear bass ports that Kef provided because they were very close to the wall, and that made a lot of difference in making the bass calm down and acceptable. After a bit more adjustments and positioning, I am pleased with this pair. I was worried that Kef are suitable for a short period and then you will get tired. Not in my experience. I want to go back to the living room and hear music whenever I have time. Of course, I can not compare other amps with this, and I cannot describe various aspects of music and give an analytic view, but it makes me feel good! ;) let me know if you think I could have bought a better combination.

View attachment 130489
LS50 Meta is very neutral and shouldn't grow tiring. For future gear upgrades, I would mainly be looking for subwoofers to assist the Metas. Couple great options for tiny subwoofers(about the size of the speakers) out atm. LS50 Meta + Subs will (imo) compete with almost anything at any price if you don't need reference levels.

OP
Farshad

Farshad

LS50 Meta is very neutral and shouldn't grow tiring. For future gear upgrades, I would mainly be looking for subwoofers to assist the Metas. Couple great options for tiny subwoofers(about the size of the speakers) out atm. LS50 Meta + Subs will (imo) compete with almost anything at any price if you don't need reference levels.

Thanks Richard. You mean something like Kef KC62 subwoofer? And what about my sources? Does them make any difference? I am using a Raspberry Pi + Allo Boss Dac for streaming at the moment.

Top Bottom