• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp suggestion for active XO ribbon tweeters

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since I've recently ordered a Okto dac8 Pro I'm looking to find a suitable amp to drive the tweeter portion of my active XO system.

So balanced inputs are preferred and no need for more than 20-30 watts which would give ample headroom. The tweeters are Fountek NeoCD3.5H with 95.5dB sensitivity, 7 ohm, 12-25 watt rating. Not much out there in my searching for balanced connections and low power output so thought I'd ask around here for suggestions.

Obviously I'd like the amp to measure well for this purpose but I'd also like to stay in the $500 or less range of things.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it you already have amps for the rest of the drivers? The Hypex NC100HF can be added to any NC family amp module to provide 100w to a tweeter. I believe @March Audio sells whole customisable units containing an number of NXxxxMP modules/power supplies and additional HF100 tweeter amplifiers if requested.

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've looked at the Neurochrome offerings just earlier today as well as his Universal Buffer which would allow me to use my existing amp(s). I don't really have the time to devote to building something in the near future but I saw on a recent post that Tom offered to build for another member.

amps for the rest of the drivers?
I do, but not with balanced connections. I'm considering an Anthem MCA-50 from a friend willing to sell at a good price just under $1000. Going new with those Hypex modules quickly escalates the budget considerably but getting all 8 channels into one box does have an appeal.

The Crown, wow, I'd forgotten about these. Looks like about $400 with a quick search. Kicking myself for offloading my XLS 2500 back in April right about now... :facepalm:

Any other suggestions? Fun to have a reason to go shopping again, I've been pretty happy with my gear for a few years.

hex168

I've looked at the Neurochrome offerings just earlier today as well as his Universal Buffer which would allow me to use my existing amp(s). I don't really have the time to devote to building something in the near future but I saw on a recent post that Tom offered to build for another member.

I do, but not with balanced connections. I'm considering an Anthem MCA-50 from a friend willing to sell at a good price just under $1000. Going new with those Hypex modules quickly escalates the budget considerably but getting all 8 channels into one box does have an appeal.

The Crown, wow, I'd forgotten about these. Looks like about $400 with a quick search. Kicking myself for offloading my XLS 2500 back in April right about now... :facepalm:

Any other suggestions? Fun to have a reason to go shopping again, I've been pretty happy with my gear for a few years.

Top Bottom